Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

TPMS - the ultimate FAQ

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 01:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nunyas
I don't know how you northern guys do it all winter....
There was a lot of "God, I can't wait until April" being said out loud...

Originally Posted by YeOldeLancer
Just reading reviews on the OEM Dunlops has convinced me that these tires are not particularly good at anything. Even on a warm sunny day, gassing it on an on-ramp will cause noticeable slippage. And our GTSs only have 168 hp, so I would all of it to get the the ground

If they're not great on dry road, I can only imagine how much they suffer with anything on the raod (ie, rain and snow) I've read a lot of complaints with rainy weather and how they're very inclined to hydroplaning. I'll run them up to the fall season and possibly next summer but I'm definitely investing on winter tires.
Good call getting rid of the Dunlops.

Originally Posted by YeOldeLancer
Do you have a GTS? I've been looking for 18" snow tires and I can't find them anywhere! I ideally want to get snow tires for the stock rim, then set sumer tires with new wheels for the summer but right now it looks like I'll be getting the new wheels with snow tires on them. Oh well, it never hurt to look good in the snow
Best advice - get some cheapo 16" wheels (mine are from a junked Chrysler Sebring). The snow tires will cost about half what 18" cost.

16" is as small as GTS's can go due to the large brakes.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya I have the Service required msg all summer long with after market 18's, Problem with having a de with the 16 steelies and TMPS, then needing winters and not buying new rims in the process and not removing the tmps from them. Well it doesn't bother me , i like the yellow icons on my screen. lol
Old May 23, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

yeah... but you're missing out on all the other quasi informative data that little screen can display while driving.... that's the part that bugged me while I had that screen displaying for a weekend...
Old May 23, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Whats the best tire pressure to put into the stock tires? Mine ranged from 32.5 to 34 psi. I put them all to 36 psi and it seems to corner better.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

look at the sticker in the driver's door jam. It'll tell you what the manufacturer recommended tire pressures are. IIRC, it says 32PSI for all 4 tires....... or was it 35? hmmmmmmmmmm....

Either way, if you're mainly concerned with maximum fuel economy filling the tires to max PSI is best.

If you're mainly concerned with max handling, then you best off with starting at the manufacturer recommended inflation pressure, and then go to a track/autoX event and start experimenting with tire pressures. Go lower to give the tires more contact patch for higher traction/grip, higher to reduce traction grip. If you can't achieve the handling you want with just tire pressures, then suspension mods are needed
Old May 24, 2008, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
There was a lot of "God, I can't wait until April" being said out loud...

Good call getting rid of the Dunlops.

Best advice - get some cheapo 16" wheels (mine are from a junked Chrysler Sebring). The snow tires will cost about half what 18" cost.

16" is as small as GTS's can go due to the large brakes.
In April, there was a lot of "Ok this is f*cking ridiculus"....in March, it was like "OMFG, I'm gonna throw myself in a 500 degree oven its so damn cold out" LOL

Yah, I've thought about getting 16s for the GTS but the 17s do look better....hmmm form over function or the other way around???

I dont know yet. I'll just wait until it gets closer to that time...We just got out of winter it feels.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 02:08 AM

I just got my new rims installed by my friend. He swapped the rims but didn't take out the tpms. It was difficult getting the rims into the stock GTS tires and I don't want to ask my friend to dismount the tires again. I was just wondering if it's possible to just deflate the tire and install the tpms to the new wheel without taking the tire apart.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:11 AM

so when different companies are programming flashes for our ecus, can they get rid of that system?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlackGTS
I just got my new rims installed by my friend. He swapped the rims but didn't take out the tpms. It was difficult getting the rims into the stock GTS tires and I don't want to ask my friend to dismount the tires again. I was just wondering if it's possible to just deflate the tire and install the tpms to the new wheel without taking the tire apart.
its not that hard to mount the tires unless he didnt have a machines that could fit 18inch rims or bigger. superior tire and auto in markham has a wicked machine and they will prolly do it for your for $10 a rim. i really dont think it possible to deflate the tire and put it on, cuz its atteched to the air valve and you have to screw it in. the shop is off of heritage road which is across from markville mall.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 02:01 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check out those places sometime soon. As for right now, I'm just saving up money to get some springs. I'm pretty set on getting Works springs and when I do I'll have some photos up. As for right now, here's a sample pic of my ride.

Once some of the wheelgap is gone, it should look pretty good

Last edited by BlackGTS; Jul 7, 2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just FYI, a guy from tirerack told me that the every set of tpm sensors that you put on the car needs to be "initilized" every time you swap out rims. so for example, if i get a second set of winter rims and tires in addition to my stock set, I'll need to take it to the dealership every time I swap out the rims to get rid of the warning light. I read somewhere that it's $40ish every time but I guess that depends on your dealer.

This doesn't count for tire rotations. We should be ok there.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

I just purchased a Bartec Wheelwrite 300. I will let everyone know if it works to re-calibrate.

Ben
Old Aug 20, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yodaman
I just purchased a Bartec Wheelwrite 300. I will let everyone know if it works to re-calibrate.

Ben
So, does it work?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bluesmaster
So, does it work?
Nope, you still need the MUT3 scan tool which is big $$$$$.

Ben
Old Aug 27, 2008, 06:57 AM

Quick questions, do all '08s have this TPMS, and does it beep? If it just flashes it's okay. If I buy one I'm NOT keeping stock wheels, and I like changing wheels often

Quick Reply: TPMS - the ultimate FAQ