Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

question about stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about stock wheels

i just painted my stock wheels black with a lip so...i wanna use them. if i keep the stock 195/60/15 tire size and i get the tien s tech springs...will it make it rub?

ps- i weigh about 325-335lbs...does that matter?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm on stock 195/60/15 with the car slammed (i'm talking 3-4in drop) and the wheel barely rubs.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

alright...if i were to get the tien s techs, would i need to get new shocks or no?

what about the skunk 2 coilovers? rub? new shocks?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggins82786
alright...if i were to get the tien s techs, would i need to get new shocks or no?

what about the skunk 2 coilovers? rub? new shocks?
the skunk2's are a pain in the a$$. the sleeves don't lock, the ride is insanly rigid, and they will tear your struts apart within a month. with the s-techs you will go through struts more rapidly than stock but will definately get you farther than the skunk2. EITHER WAY, you are going to have that problem if you lower the car. do yourself a favor and get a camber kit as well to avoid rapidly killing tires.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S-techs - no, you'd be OK on the stock struts. Until they blew out in a few months.
S-techs are just too harsh for the stock setup. You WILL destroy your stock struts with them. But here's the problem - you have an OZ. You can't get new struts because no one makes them.

Options - keep waiting for someone to make replacement struts, buy the S-techs and get stock struts every 6 months, get coilovers.

Skunk2 - don't waste your money. Get the S-techs.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

is there a different brand that you would recommend? h&r? progress?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 07:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I ran on S-techs. GREAT handling, but the ride was STIFF. Like "ow, my back hurts" stiff.

I would buy Progress if I had another Lancer. From everything I've heard/read, they're a great choice. Good handling, decent ride quality. And since I'd get the Progress RSB, I'd have a little set going.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am runnin s techs and the ride is not that bad. My shocks are gone now but the ride is not too bad. I would reccomend the teins. and no you will not rub, even if you try to make it rub it wont.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 08:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by lancerman360
I am runnin s techs and the ride is not that bad. My shocks are gone now but the ride is not too bad. I would reccomend the teins. and no you will not rub, even if you try to make it rub it wont.
I don't get how you can say that. I had the Teins, and I liked them. But especially when you have blown shocks, how can you say the ride is not that bad?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
I don't get how you can say that. I had the Teins, and I liked them. But especially when you have blown shocks, how can you say the ride is not that bad?
Well its bouncy and I am getting tired of it now that I am on my stock rims and tires (makes it even more bouncy). I want to go lower too so I may save up for some NEX coilovers.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

i have the s-techs on stock wheels/tires with no rubbing. even though you weigh that much, the springs are too stiff to drop it once you get in. they're great quality and i don't mind the ride (i've gotten used to it after 2 years), but i still regret not saving up and getting the coilovers instead.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

i have stock wheels and tires and i rub my fender on the inside and that dumb plastic liner on the inside(dont really mind rubbing the plastic stuff though) but i do rub on the fender
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
S-techs - no, you'd be OK on the stock struts. Until they blew out in a few months.
S-techs are just too harsh for the stock setup. You WILL destroy your stock struts with them. But here's the problem - you have an OZ. You can't get new struts because no one makes them.

Options - keep waiting for someone to make replacement struts, buy the S-techs and get stock struts every 6 months, get coilovers.

Skunk2 - don't waste your money. Get the S-techs.
why the hell does everyone always say that s-techs destroy your struts... have you bought them ??? have you had to replace your struts every few months >???

ive ridden on my stechs for over 6 months now ... no problems ... they were made for your car, they should work fine unless you drive really hard all the time

Last edited by Moofahsah; Jun 20, 2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

^ +1 had mines on for over a year now
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 02whitelanceroz
i have stock wheels and tires and i rub my fender on the inside and that dumb plastic liner on the inside(dont really mind rubbing the plastic stuff though) but i do rub on the fender
s-techs don't lower your car that much, you should still have a gap between the tire and wheel well in both the front and back. if you are truly on tein s-techs then you must have cut them.

Quick Reply: question about stock wheels