Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

Wheel Bearings on an 03 Lancer ES

Old Mar 3, 2009, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Bearings on an 03 Lancer ES

So I have rubbing sound coming from the right front of my lancer, my mechanic told me it was a wheel bearing and I trust that so my question is does anyone know if I need to get just the wheel bearings (one for each side) or do i need the wheel hub and wheel bearings.

My other question is does anyone know how to change these on a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES, I found a step by step set of instructions on this site with pics for changing rotors on my car and was hoping to find something similar.
I guess a detailed description would work but it is something I have never done.

I have done some reading and found someone that said that it doesn't even contain front wheel bearings , that it is all made into the hub. If that is the case then why can you buy them separately at a parts store. I saw someone else say the only way to get them in is to use a hydraulic press to get the bearing in.

So over all I really dont know but any suggestions , tips, or descriptions would be really helpfull and very appreciated. Thanks alot to all that read and to all that respond.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to know if there is a way also. From the info I found, they hub comes prepressd into the bearing. If you can buy them seperatly, that would free up some options for some stuff I am working.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

+1 I believe I also need this and would like to know myself
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:28 AM

You do not have to change both the wheel bearing and hub. It would be nice to a new hub I guess, but to required. Also, if it is the wheel bearings on the front of the car, you will need as special mechanism that presses the bearing in and out. It’s a lot of work. Only one bearing is needed unless both are going bad.

Last edited by jakkaru_kitsune; Apr 20, 2009 at 06:32 AM. Reason: added text.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if you change one you whould change them both, I am a mechanic and as you may or may not notice anything diferent when changing one I would still suggest doing so I changed mine in my 03 es you just pull the whole hub knuckle assy off and there is a snap ring you have to pull out then use a shop press to press out the old and press in the new, not really hard but makes sure its straight when going back in otherwise you will ruin the bearing and possibly damage the surfaces of the hub I know cause I did oops . I got my bearings for like $30 each side in front and did it myself. BTW when I asked mitsu how much it would be for them to change the front two they told me $650 !!!
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Not a diy unless you have a good shop. Loosen lug bolts, jack up, remove wheel, remove axle nut, 23mm if i recall. Get your brake calipers off and out of the way, rotors also. Remove sway bar connection, unbolt hub from strut tower. Be sure not to push or pull on your cv shaft while doing all this. Fun part now is getting the lower ball joint off if you dont have the correct tool you can damage it. Remove hub from axle. Snap ring on the inside of he hub. Got my bearings from advanced auto for $60 each. I wouldnt advise this job if you dont have air tools or a good 1/2" socket set cause a lot of these bolts are very tight. Torque axle nut to 181 +/- 21 ftlb. Strut tower bolts 123 +/- 7 ftlb. Bearing has to be pressed on to the hub at 181 +/- 21 ftlb. You'll need some sort of press or the special mitsu tool to get the old bearing off the hub and the new one back on correctly. Hope this helps

Last edited by Swankzer; Jun 6, 2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:56 PM

I am having the same problem with my 2002 oz. So this cannot be done at home. I would have to take it to a shop to get it put on?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.harborfreight.com/fwd-fro...ers-66829.html

This is the exact kit I have and have done my Lancer bearings with as well as throwout bearings and various other items that need to be pressed in. Although without air tools it can be done but makes it much MUCH harder
Old Jul 2, 2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 03lances
http://www.harborfreight.com/fwd-fro...ers-66829.html

This is the exact kit I have and have done my Lancer bearings with as well as throwout bearings and various other items that need to be pressed in. Although without air tools it can be done but makes it much MUCH harder
So what tools would i need to do it myself instead of air tools?? Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2011, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

A big crescent wrench, and/or 1/2" drive minimum ratchet/breaker bar with the correct sockets to fit the bolt in that kit. Plus a cheater bar would be nice just to make it ALOT easier and a buddy to help. Its just basic tools needed but be prepared to spend some time on it without air. The first time I ever did front drive wheel bearings I used this thread as a guide
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2610118

different car but same procedure.