Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How to: 04-06 bumper removal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to: 04-06 bumper removal

I just swaped out my chrome headlights for a set of OZ/Ra black headlights on my 04 ES. I took some pics and decided to do a write up. I don't believe there is one on here for the 04-06. To take off the bumper, remove old headlights and put the new ones on only took about 30-40 min tops. I got off work at 4pm, drove 5 min home, got ready, and by 4:45, it was done. I would like to give credit for evom member livelyjay. I based my write up off of his write for an 02-03 lancer.

Tools needed
10mm socket
12mm socket
Socket Wrench
Flat head screwdriver
Phillips head/star head screwdriver
pliers, pointy tip if possible.

First step is to remove the plastic tabs from the front bumper. I included some extra steps for the radiator bracket because I have one of those heat shield panel things on there which had to be removed. Otherwise, you don't have to remove the radiator bracket. There should be 8 plastic tabs to remove. Behind the vents are some bolts you will need to take off with a 10mm socket or phillips head screwdriver.

Next, use a phillips head screwdriver to take out the screws to the fender well liner. There should be 2 screws. You may have to turn the wheel to get good access to them. Above the 2 screws is a bolt. Use a 10mm socket to get it out.
You should be able to pull down on the bumper and it will start to come off. Go to the other side and repeat.

Next, under the car, you will find two retainers. Use a pair of pliers to pinch them and remove them. I don't have any pics of under the car, but here is a pic of livelyjay s write up on his 02-03 bumper removal

If you are removing you headlights, make sure you unplug the 3 connectors behind the headlight before you take it out. There are 3 bolts. Use a 10mm socket wrench to take them off. The headlight does have a prong that pops out when you pull the headlight out. Don't worry what that sound was.

My finished product.

The bumper at these point should come right off. Reverse order to put everything back together. If I missed a step, please let me know. For the legal part, I am not responsible for any damages done to your car for attempting this. I hope thise helps out everybody who wants to change out their headlights or want to remove their front bumper. If an administrator wants to make this a sticky, that would be awesome.
The following users liked this post:
Cncr (May 11, 2016)
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Discuss this thread here.