Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Alternator swap

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alternator Install Instructions

Well after searching everywhere and not wanting to pay someone for this install, I ended up pulling it off and switching out the dead alternator with a working one. Here's how it did it with some pics for easier understanding

Click Here to Download the PDF diagram of the alternator

Make sure to disconnect the battery.

Here is the dead alternator I am working with

and the new one

First, I loosened bolt #1 enough so that it will slide out of the "U" bracket easily (but remember to mark how far it was screwed in as this firms up the tension on the belt).
Second, loosen bolt #2 so that it comes all the way out of the alternator, but not all the way out of the block (the block along with both bolts #1 and #2 will come off)

Next, I needed to go under the car to pull this nut off (this is the main hinge that is used to attach the alternator to the car) and slide the bolt out toward the passenger side of the car.

While I was under the car, I went ahead and pulled the boot back and unbolted the nut that was attached to the top of the alternator connector.
Then, pushed-down and pulled out the alternator connector plug.
I just left these dangling, but out of the way so that they would not get snagged on anything.

Now, I went back up to the top of the car and firmly grabbed the side of the alternator closest to the firewall and pulled forward to release the tension on the belt.
And then slid the belt gently to the side.

The alternator is now not connected to anything, so I just moved it back and forth until it slid out from its location.
Here are the two alternators side-by-side.

Now, that I had the old one out, it was time to put the new one in. (Just a reverse of the first process, but I'll write how to put it back in )

Put the new one in the same location by sliding the 2 bottom pieces down to where the bottom bolt was pulled from.

I went back under the car, slid the bolt back through making sure not to force anything (after it is lined-up, it will slide right through), but do not tighten the bolt back on yet (we still need a little movement for the belt tension)

Pop the alternator connector plug back in along with the ground connector that has the nut that will fit under the boot.

Back at the top of the engine bay, I slid the belt back on and pushed the alternator back toward the firewall to get a good tension on the belt.

Now, take the block and the first 2 bolts. Line-up and screw bolt #2 all the way in, but make sure to slide bolt #1 over the "U" bracket in the process.

After #2 is in, tighten down #1 to the same position that it was previously set.

Finally, go under the car, and tighten down the slide-bolt with its respective nut and now I have my new working alternator

Old Aug 14, 2007, 06:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Discuss this thread here.