Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Tips on 02 Lancer ES

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips on 02 Lancer ES

I have a 2002 dark grey silver ES and I have done to visual things to it but I haven't done anything to increase performance, maybe something to decrease it... lol

I have a double deck aluminum gt-3 wing because of the look, I personally prefer that over the stock evo wing or the stock oz wing. I tinted the rear lights to make a dark smokey look.
I also have added a red stripe on the sides, its about 1 centimeter wide but its as long as the doors. Now i also upgraded from hub cap rims at 14" to 17" GTR rims, they make my car look so much nicer but I believe they are too big for the car, the tire size is 205-45R17 and I can't turn as much anymore because it scrapes the sides, and i think its slowing me down with either the weight or just too big.

So a summary.

Gt-3 Wing
Smoked Tail Lights
17" GTR Rims w/ new tires
2-12" sony subs, with koiler amp.

and now I need some tips to increase performance to make my appearance show my speed and not just allow me to beat ****ty hondas...

I would like to add a turbo later on but for now i'd like to increase performance while i build up the engine slowly. I am new to the car scene but I know quite a bit about engine systems just not what is available. I can tell you how a car works but I wouldn't be able to tell you how to do an upgrade. Can someone please help me or guide me to fix my car up and make it perform better and not go to 11 seconds 0-60, which its what is going at right now with huge tires, subs and a little more extra weight, because without anything on it and the 14" tires, I was able to run 8-9 seconds.

The car is a 2.0L 4g94, stock intake, stock exhaust, stock everything lol.

If anyone lives in Utah, anywhere near salt lake city, i would love to meet up and get some help done with this. Thanks and i'll wait upon some tips and replies. I'll also update my picture soon to show you guys my visual upgrades.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:30 PM

Start with the basics...cold air intake, exhaust, headers, stage 2 clutch, short shifter...this will only give you about 5-10hp if any but its a start.

Last edited by silent1jt; Jul 30, 2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 05:43 PM

alright, ofcourse i would like to go with cold air intake, exhaust which ofcourse its alot of money, 800$ exhaust, with a 300 intake.
the lancer has really short shifts, would i still need to get a short shifter? and well ofcourse this is my big questions, wtf are headers. I know it sounds like a joke but idk where they go, like on top of each cylinder or is it only one part, because i was searching headers and i saw one for 400, and im not sure if i only need one or 2 or 3 or 4...

and after these fixes what do i need to do to add alot more hp.
I have some money for upgrades but i really want to start getting power, I was driving the other day and there was an evo 8 that posted up to me, i would believe it was a year older then my lancer and we were driving right next to each other at first and then he just pushed the gas and yeah i was pushing it too and in about 3 seconds i was around mid way to the next intersection and he had passed it.... wtf man, I need something to get power like crazy to match the look of my car, i won't lie to you, it looks sick, even with the stock body kit, lights, and well everything really just some addons. I'll update my profile shortly with some new pics.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 06:17 PM

No matter how much $$$ you dump on an ES youll never beat a Evo...you may but with that amount of $$$ needed you could just buy an Evo. Do some reaserch bro.

Headers is the piece that connects the exhaust to your engine. Its the 4pipes going downward on the engine, right infront of your radiator fans. Honestly the cheapest way to get more power is swaping engines or tearing up the block and change internal upgrades. Again do research.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:20 PM

Alright that sounds good, and well I wouldn't mind buying an evo but i don't like the evo x, i dislike the new look, i like the old evo look, and even with the good amount of money, I wouldn't want to spend 20-30k on a used evo that is customized like crazy. I would like to start up from start, i know i won't beat an evo but i would like to not be left behind that much lol.

and i figured the headers would be that but i just wanted to make sure because i wasn't entirely sure, I am going to swap engines, but what would i need to swap them? as in parts and such, I know first is the engine, and then what? new hoses, inter cooler, radiator, heater core? or what. Well finally its just my first car, and I know its not much of a car but the look is killer, looks deadly even tho its not, but that will take time.

Thanks for your help silent, but i would love to get more insight on these things.

I see you have the same year lancer, but an OZ Rally edition. I might be able to find out how much it would cost to buy an evo but it would be 2003, starts at 11,000 for an excellent condition one and by now i doubt anyone near me has one.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:20 PM

Guys I have one question, with the stock 4g94 engine, what is the highest psi you can boost it too? I read a few that say 4psi and some that say 7psi, I would like to make sure before I go ahead and do it, the only upgrades im going to do before the turbo will be, new Headers, 5" exhaust and a cold air intake. The question is 4psi or 7psi with stock block.

And i also heard it wasn't good to get a cold air intake because of something with a turbo, what do i do there? do i get it or not? and same with the exhaust, i read on here that a 5" exhaust is good for turbo but not for nonturbo, something about sufficient backpressure.

Also, is there anything i should do when I upgrade the fuel pump and injectors? such as new cables or fuse or something? since its a bigger pump?

and ofcourse Last question , any tips on what breaks\rotors\drums\shoes i should use?

I work at autozone and i get 20% off on anything instore. Should i buy the cheapest or the durralast gold sd which are the best ones. Goes from 20.00 for cheapest, 40 for mid, and 60 for expensive, each set. and rotors are all 36 or so same with drums.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

5" exhaust? no way
Old Aug 3, 2014, 09:55 PM

Well thats why i ask because thats what i read the other day. Real big question, how big is the difference when you put a cold air intake and a decent exhaust system? like push wise, because my car goes to 85 and struggles really hard to reach 90, probably about a minute from 80-90mph.