Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Sprint Booster, how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Sprint Booster, how does it work?

OK there have been many threads on this product or others like it (ie. the Blitz throttle controller) yet very few people seem to understand how it works and what its limitations are. This thread should help, hopefully.
First off, what does it actually do? This is the description straight from the website

Sprint Booster makes your car's throttle respond faster to your foot. As a result, your gas pedal actually achieves a full throttle response 25% sooner than the stock configuration. Even if you have a 'sport' button, Sprint Booster will quicken the throttle response time. By making the throttle respond faster to your input, you will feel as though your car has more muscle than it really does!
In simple terms, it allows you to hit WOT faster, that's it. Of course below this description are these points

• Sprint Booster does not increase Horsepower.

• Sprint Booster does not reduce your 0-60mph times.

• Sprint Booster DOES make your car 'FEEL' faster.
So it doesn't increase HP, it doesn't reduce 0-60 time, all it does is make your car feel faster without actually making it faster.
Well with that simple explanation, how does it make the car feel faster? This article provides a nice bit of information

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/spr...intBooster.pdf

The Sprint Booster (and products like it) amplifies the signal going from the pedal position sensor to the ECU thus tricking the ECU into thinking you have pressed the pedal further than you have. If we look at this graph, you can clearly see this effect.

At about 1/3 throttle input, the SB signal (red) increases significantly over the stock signal (blue). At 3/4 throttle input, the SB signal is at WOT position while the stock signal takes until 100% throttle input for this to occur. However, it is important to note that there is no point on the SB signal line that is not present on the stock line, you can achieve everything the Sprint Booster does stock, without spending 300$ on a black box.
Here's a nice sales pitch from their website

Sprint Booster modifies the signal between the accelerator pedal module and the electronic throttle body. This modified signal forces the throttle body to open 'more' than the stock signal at a given pedal position. In effect, the idle-to-full-throttle pedal travel is reduced. This makes your car 'feel' more powerful because a given pedal input produces greater throttle opening. This is especially evident in the low to mid rpm range where most cars spend their time on the street.

Sprint Booster simply modifies the throttle signal between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body. Big deal right? Keep in mind, this is the same concept as the 'throttle pulley' modification on cable based throttle systems - which was very popular in it's time. It doesn't add horsepower, but makes the throttle more sensitive and makes the car 'feel' faster.

It doesn't matter if you have a Sport Mode, ECU software, or 'Chip' on your car, Sprint Booster works independently of other modifications. It simply makes the throttle more sensitive, making the car 'feel' faster.

Is Sprint Booster for everyone? Of course not, no performance product ever is. If you have a track car where you spend most of your time near redline, Sprint Booster is not for you - Sprint Booster benefits are felt in the low to mid pedal travel. Some people don't like the fact that Sprint Booster reaches full throttle before full pedal travel - if you routinely mash the throttle to the floor, Sprint Booster may not be for you.

Sprint Booster is most effective in the low to mid rpm range, which is where most 'street' cars are driven on a daily basis. Yes, you may need to adjust your driving style after installing Sprint Booster - but that is a short learning curve. Sprint Booster will put the 'fun' back into your daily drive.

Sprint Booster is simple but effective - it makes the car more responsive and thus more 'fun'! This is why the product carries a 30-day money back guarantee!!!

Sprint Booster installs in minutes, and is easily removable. Plug-n-Play performance!

Just try it! Make your daily drive more 'fun'.
Notice how they say exactly what I have said but through in terms like "performance product" or "fun". Strange that they get this excited about a 25$ amplifier that retails for 300$.
Some people have claimed that it increases performance by decreasing reaction time. This makes no sense. Reaction time is more a product of the person behind the wheel, not the car itself. The time it takes to go from 0% throttle to 100% throttle in a true performance situation (ie. a race) is negligible, I don't know of anyone that takes seconds to press a pedal down.
There are also claims that this product will change the way the CVT acts. Again, this isn't true. This product has no direct interaction with the ECU, it cannot directly affect the way in which the ECU or the TCU reacts. While it is true that the CVT transmission, like many automatics, is adaptive, that is it learns how you drive, this is present in stock trim. You can change the way a stock car drives by simply going WOT more often, which is exactly what this product does.
I'm sure people are going to whine about this but I'm sick and tired of people buying into automotive snake oil. This product does exactly what it advertises which is what your right foot has been doing for free all these years. If you are happy spending 300$ to make your car feel faster, go for it, but don't try to rationalize the purchase by attributing characteristics to this product that are not possible.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the word insurrection comes to mind.

I can see that you have put alot of time and thought into this. lol
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

word
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
the word insurrection comes to mind.

I can see that you have put alot of time and thought into this. lol
I'm just tired of people skirting the issue over and over again and pulling the old "who cares how it works, it just does" card.
Also, the term insurrection isn't even close to appropriate given the definition.
an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government
Last time I checked, the Sprint Booster wasn't an authority, nor was it established at all. Most of the hub-bub is in the canadian section and even then, it's the same people saying how wonderful the product is even if they don't know how it works and can't provide any information as to how it is better than putting the pedal down further. Snake oil I tell you, snake oil.

Last edited by ambystom01; Mar 31, 2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

initially after reading a review of the product I thought it was a sure thing. After actually reading the product page information and

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/spr...intBooster.pdf

I realized it was simply an over priced amplifier.

Funny thing is when this product first came out i mainly found it talked about / tested in BMW and Mercedes forums.

Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Exactly, all it does is amplify the signal, which your right foot does for free. Hell, you could probably build one of these things for a tenth the cost.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Exactly, all it does is amplify the signal, which your right foot does for free. Hell, you could probably build one of these things for a tenth the cost.
Funny you say that because I am an electrical engineer. Can probably build it with 10 dollars, 5 if i use existing components I already own.

Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

What really gets me are all the people who, rather than address the product, get mad at the other person and make personal comments.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

people tend to easily believe a manufacturers claims and their data in order to make they "feel" like they got the gains the product promised. i have an injen cai and a greddy ti-c but i honeslty dont think i have +15hp. i like the way the products look and I have seen improvements in mpg and that satisfies me. especially since i only paid $400 total for the both of them.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

What's funny is that the manufacturer makes no claims about gaining power or actually being faster, it is clearly stated the product just makes you feel faster.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:37 PM
Former Vendor

<3 amby

always here to bring actual logic into the issue.

nice write up mate, i couldn't agree more. Sprint booster is a complete waste of money, there are a lot better uses of $300
Old Mar 31, 2009, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ambystom01
There are also claims that this product will change the way the CVT acts. Again, this isn't true. This product has no direct interaction with the ECU, it cannot directly affect the way in which the ECU or the TCU reacts. While it is true that the CVT transmission, like many automatics, is adaptive, that is it learns how you drive, this is present in stock trim. You can change the way a stock car drives by simply going WOT more often, which is exactly what this product does.
I'm sure people are going to whine about this but I'm sick and tired of people buying into automotive snake oil. This product does exactly what it advertises which is what your right foot has been doing for free all these years. If you are happy spending 300$ to make your car feel faster, go for it, but don't try to rationalize the purchase by attributing characteristics to this product that are not possible.

In some ways I know I should not really engage in this, but I guess when someone calls me out on something, I guess I cant resist. You have cited my words before and I responded, and I will do the same here if you intend on bringing me into this.
"There are also claims that this product will change the way the CVT acts"
Is that a fact? lol if your going to cite me, by all means, say my name. dont refer to me as there are some claims. lol second there are my claims.

a Automatic fix gear transmission and a CVT governed by INVECS III. Are two completely different systems. I will use clean words to express how ignorant you are in making sweeping generalizations. If your going to claim something make sure you know what the hell your talking about. I have been up up and down the specs on the CVT system, I am commited to a boost project. I have attempt to learn everything I can about the CVT and its logics. Jatco the maker of the CVT with its end user clients Mitsu, Chrysler Nissan.... etc... They keep some of there systems and logics proprietary and there are something we will never know unless we are on the inside. but there are papers that describe in detail some features of the CVT system in question.

Based on my research and my personal experience (remember that metric based on your standards is uses) that the CVT implementation in the Lancer always fell flat. I have mentioned this all the way thru my projects and the history of my car. This is the first product I have scene, that actually works in improving the responsiveness of the CVT system. I dont care if its sprint booster, or the Blitz throttle controller, or as you may say soemone who can duplicate the effects of such a device for 10 dollars lol haha. Which I might add, is quite an idea. Actually if someone can actually duplicate this product for 10 dollars, or 15 dollars, hell even $50. I will put it in writing , I will pony up a prize pool. for someone who can recreate such a device. Let me put that in bold. It must allow the car to operate the same identical manner and behavior as either the sprint booster or Blitz controller unit. That said. All you gotta do is document what you did and I will cut you the check myself, or better yet fire it off thru paypal. I will pay the shipping to get it to me for testing.

How about it amby, if its as easy as you say or not worth the $300 expensive price tag. Dont talk about Sprint Booster , or Blitz people, your talking to me on this one.

Getting back to the agrument. I am confident that I can put this module or any similar one in anyone CVT car, and I am 100% certain, any experienced CVT driver will perfer the unit vs. without. Forget words of feelings, or impressions, or placebo effects. This is straight up function and use!

Edit: I left one point out....
You created this thread for what reason? there was a previous thread which you help close. now you have created another one outside of the Canadian section one. Why is it you continue to rail against everything. You start a new thread, quote someone else research , which i might add, is more credible then what you have put together, I havent had the time to read thru the article you sourced but it sounds like the person at least tried it. It doesnt matter to me if it is right or not, its good to see that someone scientifically tries it out.

I made this claim before, and I will make it again, there were other threads for sometime about the Blitz Throttle Controller, you gave a response that it wasnt busy enough for you to comment on or something like that. but you have all the energy in the world to rage against the sprint booster threads. lol I dont understand is there some hidden beef that you have with them or something. Did JRP charge you too much for an intake. What ???? lol haha

To bring everyone update date on this position Amby has, you should start here

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...w-product.html
then when you finish reading that go here
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ca...th-2009-a.html

Then ask your self why lol

Last edited by evo_soul; Mar 31, 2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Can this thread be locked now? There are already two others that went on and on...and on. The world can't handle one more.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 04:09 PM
Former Sponsor

yes i am foaming at the mouth already
Old Mar 31, 2009, 04:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah im also getting the feeling that this can increase performance for a car such a a CVT, then again it would take you to have one to understand..ive seen it said many times this thing does what your food can do..well no. i can slam my foot on the pedal as hard as i can..and i can press on the break in a fast motion and get about the same throttle response from the car..the CVT just lacks it. so having a faster response thats not possible from just your foot, id consider that a performance gain.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster, how does it work?