Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Aem CAI w/ Bypass Valve

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aem CAI w/ Bypass Valve

I have questions: 1)What exactly does the bypass valve do?
2)Where can i get one from?
3)How much?
4)Is it worth the money if i have had problems with hydrolock before?

thanx
biggins
Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggins82786
1)What exactly does the bypass valve do?
2)Where can i get one from?
3)How much?
4)Is it worth the money if i have had problems with hydrolock before?
1. Surprisingly simple in construction, but quite sophisticated in design, the AEM air-bypass valve sits upstream of the air filter and normally does nothing. If the filter gets submerged in water, however, there will be a slight vacuum in the pipe as the engine tries to suck the water up the pipe. This slight vacuum opens up 12 rubber flaps in the air-bypass valve, allowing the engine to breathe air through the bypass valve's small foam filter. When the water level drops, the vacuum goes away and the main filter supplies air again.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...ted/index.html

2. Ebay? For Sale Forum? Web Search (www.google.com).
3. 50 bucks is my estimate
4. Yes. OR .. just remove the CAI portion and make it a SRI until it dries out again, outside.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:35 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

digdat is correct.

check your local import performance shop. they usually run about $45 bucks.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

i am asking because the last time that i was on the way to town and it was raining, i was going down i-95 when all of the sudden its like i would give the car the gas and it would just like die for a sec or two. i am thinking about buying one because i dont want to go to town and get stranded because my intake sucked up some water.

when i was having trouble on i-95 the intake wasnt even submerged it was getting a light spray and it was acting up.

biggins
Old Oct 13, 2004, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

I'm in oregon .. its rainy time here now. I noticed that my CAI filter was getting rather wet .. so I simply removed the CAI portion from the mas adapter down, put the filter on it and its now a short ram intake. that seems like the simpliest, cheapest and safest way to make sure you dont get water in the engine.

just a thought. if you buy a bypass valve, you'll probably haveta cut the pipe and have it mounted, to my understanding?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:23 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by digdat
I'm in oregon .. its rainy time here now. I noticed that my CAI filter was getting rather wet .. so I simply removed the CAI portion from the mas adapter down, put the filter on it and its now a short ram intake. that seems like the simpliest, cheapest and safest way to make sure you dont get water in the engine.

just a thought. if you buy a bypass valve, you'll probably haveta cut the pipe and have it mounted, to my understanding?
Nah, it just replaces the rubber/silicone piece that connects the two halves of the intake piping, no cutting involved unless you have a single-piece CAI.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by otter
Nah, it just replaces the rubber/silicone piece that connects the two halves of the intake piping, no cutting involved unless you have a single-piece CAI.
If it works like this then the water that is let out will spray all over the engine because that part of the pipe is still in the engine bay.... sounds kinda strange.... but i dont know. this is kinda bothering me. and also what people have said about removing the bottom half of the intake, it doesnt rain too often but when it rains it pours. that also seems like it would be a lot of work for one or two days of rain.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 03:19 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

true but saftey is best. i know a couple of people that have had hydrolock. it sucks. definately not worth the risk. i thought it would never happen around here, but sure enough it does. no matter what part of the country, theres always a risk.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

just get a sri, the gains are the same and u dont have to worry!

hehe, takin from AEM's page.
Air Bypass Valve

AEM’s patented air bypass valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system becomes submerged in water. The valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in

Question
Will the AEM Bypass Valve cause a loss of power?

Answer
The bypass valve may cause a slight loss in power due to the interrupted wall section created by the internal shape of the valve. In dyno testing we have found that the power loss is minimal. The bypass valve offers great security against hydro locking the engine in rainy conditions. If maximum power is the requirement, we suggest that the bypass valve be used in the rainy season and when racing use a coupler hose to make a smooth section where the bypass valve goes.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Its only a serious problem if the filter is in water, doesnt the cai from aem go all the way down into the side of the front bumer? i saw a few pics, thats just what it looked like. If it is a real serious problem were your always driving over big big puddles and serious off road water...why not just convert to a short ram? there gains are very similar. But if your getting a bypass valve just remember u will lose a bit of power.

hope that helps
Old Oct 20, 2004, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

yeah it does go all the way over but i have a slight problem as shown in the pics below...the intake has never been submerged but it has been heavily sprayed.
Attached Thumbnails Aem CAI w/ Bypass Valve-dsc01063.jpg   Aem CAI w/ Bypass Valve-dsc01064.jpg  
Old Oct 21, 2004, 09:33 AM
.L.
Evolved Member

just make sure not to submerge it, and you *should* be fine. otherwise if your worried just go ahead and get the bypass valve.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 05:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say get it. Better safe than sorry.