Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Bought another Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought another Lancer

Hey Guys! This'll be my first post ever since I usually just lurk around until I find the information I need but I kinda hit a roadblock recently and I'm hoping y'all can help. So I've owned a 2002 Lancer ES since October 2012 and just last week I bought a 2003 OZ Rally that "needed a timing belt." I knew there was a high risk of the valves being bent and the pistons gouged since the 4G94 is pretty notorious for that happening once the timing slips out but I said whatever if that's the case ill take the head off my ES and put it on the OZ and hopefully everything will be hunky dory.

I reset the timing and changed the tensioner and belt but to no avail, so I decided it was time to start checking elsewhere. First thing I wanted to check for was spark, so I pulled out the spark plugs and cylinder 2 was JACKED up. The tube I the coil that slides onto the spark plug was snapped inside and I had to pick plastic out of the tube before I could get to the spark plug and then I realized the spark plug was already loosened.

Fast forward and I decide to go with the head swap. So I got everything out; wiring harness intake plenum, exhaust manifold, etc.

Pulled the head off, flipped her over and the head was actually cracked up the spark plug threads so the head is f'd. Take the head off my ES slap it on the OZ put everything back together reset the timing again and cross my fingers as I crawl into the car. Push the clutch turn the key and it cranks and cranks then I stopped turned it off turned it back on cuz I figured the fuel needs to reach the injectors.

Round 2 cranks and cranks and cranks but doesn't start. It sounds like it wants to but just won't do it. By this time it was 3am and I was EXHAUSTED after I'd already worked a 12 hour day so I cleaned up and calle it a night.

I replaced the coils on the OZ with the ones from my ES and it has spark fuel and air and it is yikes correctly.

So someone PLEASE if you can help it would be greatly appreciated. Especially since I just typed all this out on my iPhone lol.

Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2014, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Just a quick question but the only thing messed up was the head? nothing else wrong with the block or anything like that.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:54 AM

The only thing that I didn't check for was the block being warped.