Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

catalytic converter

Old Sep 5, 2002, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
catalytic converter

i dont know who it was that posted something to the extent that they cut their cat off. i was wondering if the ses light came on? or if there were any other negative effects?
Old Sep 5, 2002, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you can just cut off your cat...you'll have to replace it with something...
Old Sep 5, 2002, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

i know that but he said that he cut it off i assume that he replaced with pipe
Old Sep 5, 2002, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

For the Nth time: replacing the SECOND cat (as Road Race's test pipe does), will not trigger a CEL.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

If you gut/remove/straight pipe you catalytic converter, the rear O2 sensor is going to throw a "Catalyst Ineffiency" CEL/SESL. The reason being that the variation in voltage between for front O2, and the rear 02 is not XX.XXVolts. Showing that the catalyzer is not effective. On the WRX, the CEL does not trigger a limp mode, so it is not big deal. I don't know about the Lancer. Odds are that you car will be fine, if you are willing to live with the light. I am! As long as you know what is going on. You can ballast the rear O2 to fool the ECU, but that only works 1/2 of the time. Godspeed Motorsports makes a catless exhaust (WRX Downpipe) with a Catalyzer emulator that wraps only the O2 sensor. It is very innovative, and I believe that Dan (Proprieter) owns the patent. It works!

Good luck. You will see alot more power if you are catless, but watch out for the "Smog *****" and the "Tree hugging hippies". They don't like it too much.

Andy
Old Sep 5, 2002, 01:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by pjal84
For the Nth time: replacing the SECOND cat (as Road Race's test pipe does), will not trigger a CEL.
So, you are saying that on the OBDII system on the Lancer Cedilla, that the rear O2 sensor is in front of the rear catalyst? That is a stupid design on the part of Mitsubishi, but good for enthusiasts. How are they going to monitor the effeciency of the rear catalytic converter? Mayber their tolerances for the voltage deviation are more liberal? That is cool!
Old Sep 5, 2002, 01:44 AM
Evolved Member

for the first time thats not a second cat its called a resonator. i have already cut that off and replaced with the custom CAT back. now what i asked was if you cut off the CATALYTIC converter will the ses light come on? not the resonator but the CAT!
Old Sep 5, 2002, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by joseph k
for the first time thats not a second cat its called a resonator. i have already cut that off and replaced with the custom CAT back. now what i asked was if you cut off the CATALYTIC converter will the ses light come on? not the resonator but the CAT!
Ah, then it is not a true "test pipe" It just gets rid of a resonator. Catalyst:Resonator...HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Read my first post for your answer. The second post was written with the understanding that the so called "test pipe" was replacing the rear most catalyzer.

Andy
Old Sep 5, 2002, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

i did and thank you for a wise not talking out of your *** like you know everything response. i have looked for a o2 simulator since i got the damn car in sept. i dont worry about emmisions i live in mississippi
Old Sep 5, 2002, 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

To add to my posts, it will take some time before you throw a CEL. Sometimes 2 driving cycles (Usually) but sometimes more. My catless exhaust went like 3 months before throwing one!
Old Sep 5, 2002, 02:39 AM
Evolving Member

i thought RRM's test pipe was for replacing the cat, not the resonator??
Old Sep 5, 2002, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

Okay... this is how it is... the base of the headers have a cat. You look down the front of your engine, you can see the o2 sensors plugging in. Then it goes to downpipe, that flexpipe ****, then another bit of pipe, then a SECOND cat. After that, it goes more pipe, then the RESONATOR. More pipe, then MUFFLER. That's the basic stock order, ladies and germs.

You get a true catback (I have a custom, as you can see to the left, and never left the underside of the car while it was in the air), you eliminate the RESONATOR, not the second CAT. That is what the pipe is attatched to, unless you're going to an utterly unscrupulous place that cares not about federal laws.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 02:56 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the confimation . . that's how i thought it was, but this thread got me all confused
Old Sep 6, 2002, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

I have a question, so it's illegal to remove either the cat or the resonator with just a piping, right? Cause Car-X said they can make piping to replace the cat and the resonator (so my muffler will sound sweeter ), but it is indeed illegal if i get caught, right? Also, if it's illegal, what kind of fine/penalty are we talking about?
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Just play dumb...with so many people modifying their exhausts now....cars, trucks, motorcycles....you can probably get off with a fix it ticket if you talk to the judge....so $25 bucks. Just dont try to pass a smog test like that....that's an automatic impound if the shop guys are dicks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: catalytic converter