Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Crankshaft Seal Removal/Replacement

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankshaft Seal Removal/Replacement

So my front crankshaft seal was leaking. I took everything apart on my 03 oz before and let my father finish up replacing the seal since i had to go to work. Needless to say to much liquor in him lead to the new seal leaking even worse when i got the car back. Bought another new seal and some oil but when i ripped it apart again the seal looked flush, so now i have two problems i can not get it out with a pick, and i don't see what went wrong to make it still leak. Any suggestions would be much appreciated i have off for the weekend but live in Pennsylvania which is about to get a snow storm, so the sooner the better, thanks in advance.

Last edited by ATM Blazin; Jan 23, 2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Punch a pinhole in the face of the seal, and carefully drive a drywall screw into the hole, 2 or 3 threads, no more. Grab the screw head with pliers and yank, the seal will pop right out.

Next time, use a seal driver that is properly sized, and push the seal in evenly. Sometimes I even smear a tiny bit of RTV sealer on the outer surface of the seal. Also make sure the seal lip doesn't invert while it's being driven in.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
don't forget to clean everything really well, and apply engine oil to the inner lip of the seal.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the help, ill get at it again once the snow stops in the morning. With the suggestion of oil on the inside of the seal, that's probably what my dad screwed up on before.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

always apply the fluid to be sealed to the seal...dry seals won't last long
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Put dielectric grease on the inside lip of the seal and you can use rtv on the outside also. You can use a small prybar to remove the seal but be careful not to scratch the side wall where the seal seats. Good luck
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:43 PM

Worked through the snow and everything is back together with no leaks, tried the screw method but it only pulled up the inner metal, but none the less, a pair a needle nose was able to grab that after i backed the screw out. Thanks again guys.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use an Oem seal , replaced my camshaft seal once only fro it to leak much worst . Picked up one at the dealer and was perfect !
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

I always use genuine Mitsubishi parts for oil seals, timing belt, bearings etc... ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, clutch slave cylinder, I use 3rd party parts...
Old Jan 25, 2015, 05:31 PM

My aftermarket seal is holding up good, it's a "Frewdenburg-Nok" , i beat on the car a little today in a few snowy parking lots and still no leakage, hopefully it stays that way, although i have no wheel well liner so that's a problem in itself
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:37 AM

Looking at the FSM since the seal only held up for about a day and i noticed that there is supposed to be a spacer and spring pins, neither of which are actually on my car, so would these cause it to keep leaking, if so where can i get these parts besides a junk yard since none of the ones around me ever have lancers.
Also since i am going to have to rip things apart again if i find that i scratched the shaft at the inside iof the front crank seal is there any way to remedy that without having to get a whole new crankshaft.
As of right now i just keep adding oil as it gets low and the leak has drastically slowed down but none the less it is leaking every time i take the car out.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

make sure there is no damage or corrosion on the crankshaft at the seal that would wear out the seal...also make sure the housing that holds the seal is not damaged, other than that, unless the seal is seated crooked or was damaged during installation, it should not leak...

not sure what you mean about the spacer/springs...
Old Mar 18, 2015, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any seal, factory or aftermarket, should be fine if installed correctly. What are you using to install it?