Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Building 4g94 Non-Turbo

Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya, i have think about getting boosted, but the principal fact that i want to be NA, its my daily drive.

to llt
You suggest me to use 9g93 High comp piston with the 4g92 Mivec head. Which ECU i shoud use for the head? how much compression i should run to get something good out of this?
Should i use the 440cc WRX injector and 255lph fuel pump?
Getting bored fuel rail
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

you guys get 6.5k rev? mine stop at 6k.. lol

i'll probally got boosted after i have done the swap of the 4g92
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
If this is your daily driver, going with a mild turbo build would work very well. You don't need to push 18 PSI or anything like that, if you pushed 8-10 PSI with a 16G, you'd be making far more power than essentially any NA setup and you'd be reliable. NA does not automatically make a setup reliable.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Amby...build me a "mild" turbo...and I want to spend only $700.

annnnnd go
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Buy used, and done. Seriously, if you have patience, I'm sure could piece together a decent kit for 1500$ or less.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by holycrap300
i have read some post about swaping head for 4g92 Mivec or RS.
-llt-racing have bored from 81.5mm to 82.5mm.
-But i have not read anything about which ECU to use? i saw some1 using RA ECU,what about it?
-Piston High Compression
-Run 11:1 compression
-4g92 RS cam

i keep reading

ps: oh ya, its perfect fit for 4g92 on 4g94
nice list there. =)
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

I'm with amby on this one. Although I don't have a 4g94 lancer, I do have a turbo lancer ralliart as my daily driver. When people think turbo they think it will be too much for them but really it is such a convenience because unless you slam down on the accelerator you will never even know it was there. If you were to go the NA route you'd probably be left wanting more since as amby said the 4g94 is not NA mod friendly. Then when you start to try and build on it you'll end up spending a ludicrous amount of dollars that will make your car into something you probably wouldn't enjoy driving. In the end not only will the NA 4g94 never be able to touch a turbo one but it will never be as easy as a turbo is to do. Unless you'll be satisfied with the small bang for lots of bucks which amby already had to deal with, go turbo, you won't regret it.

Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree or agree with it.

Last edited by OnCloudIX; Mar 5, 2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

or just get a used evo lol
seriously though, its your car.
maybe you can do both worlds? DOHC swap (non mivec) + 16g turbo = Fun

EDIT: btw, dont forget about TUNING. it makes a HUGE difference. =)
Old Mar 5, 2010, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

DOHC Mivec wont fit with 16G ??. I was thinking about to do the swap and add the turbo with low comp forged piston and ARP Stud... instead of high comp and 11:1 comp.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

I'd probably just put the money into the turbo build, not sure how much you'd seriously gain with the DOHC head.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

DOHC Mivec wont fit with 16G ??. I was thinking about to do the swap and add the turbo with low comp forged piston and ARP Stud... instead of high comp and 11:1 comp.
it will but its easier to build a turbo with low comp.
4g92 mivec is meant to be run high comp so running it with low comp is a waste imo.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ClixT
it will but its easier to build a turbo with low comp.
4g92 mivec is meant to be run high comp so running it with low comp is a waste imo.

oh i've forget about this fact ahah
Old Mar 5, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

ya, i have think about getting boosted, but the principal fact that i want to be NA, its my daily drive.

to llt
You suggest me to use 9g93 High comp piston with the 4g92 Mivec head. Which ECU i shoud use for the head? how much compression i should run to get something good out of this?
Should i use the 440cc WRX injector and 255lph fuel pump?
Getting bored fuel rail
Put into account the compression will shoot right up when your using a 4G93 High compression piston inside the 4G94. Since for starters the surface area of piston (bore size is .5mm oversized) is larger, and the stroke is 6.8mm larger. It will be more if you use 82mm pistons a static compression between 11.5-12.5 is ideal specially if you are using the stock cams.

Use a head gasket from 1-1.8mm in thickness to bump the compression down a little we use only OEM MLS Mitsubishi head gaskets. Injector size is originally a 275CC, with the factory computer the biggest you can use is 290-300CC paired with a SAFC or emanage to help management system work with the bigger injectors and tuning over all. Anything over that i suggest you use a standalone engine management system, i cheap and convinient one to use is the DIYPNP 76pin plug and play ECU:-

http://diyautotune.com/index.html

Dont forget to upgrade your fuel pump to a 255LPH i recommend TRE or Walbro.

The problem lies really on the management system its hard for it to cope on its own. You will need at least a SAFC or Emanage to make some correction on fuel and ignition, other than that just need to do a light porting on head it needs to breath further on a 1.8 or 2.0l block. It recently been pointed out to me how bad the inlet port vs valve seat alignment is on these heads and the amount of casting errors inside so this is free HP that is worth looking into.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

I assume by stock cams you mean stock 4G92 cams correct? I think if you were to go hardcore NA, your best bet would be to swap the cams for something more aggressive.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Yes you get more HP if you slap a snail in your car obvoiusly.

With NA selection of parts is very crucial you can spend big dollars and if you do not know what your doing and choose the wrong parts for the build then your back to square 1. A good example of that is two of my forum mates in AU one has a 4G93 Mivec hybrid doing 189HP ATW in stock cams, high compressed with a haltech and the other a 4G93 hybrid 1.9L with a link g4 management system that s doing 214HP ATW! Now these guys have dedicated there time on research and asked heaps of questions and put there money on parts that will work with there setup.

Then again this is my opinion and if you guys want to snail the car go ahead, i am going to push 5 heads in the USA and just observe how it goes. Mean while lets stop the guessing and wait for there setups to finish.

-Luie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Building 4g94 Non-Turbo