Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

02 ES Sensor Problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2007, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 ES Sensor Problems

Where do I start? OK, my wife's car is an 02 ES automatic. The car has 107,000 miles on it and needless to say, she snapped the timing belt. All of the exhaust valves were bent when this happened. I replaced the head with one from an 01 Mirage. Then I replaced the head gasket, head bolts, IM gasket, EM gasket, timing belt, and various other things related to a head replacement or head gasket replacement. I got the timing set and started the car. Well, I was throwing two codes: one is crank angle sensor and the other is camshaft position sensor. I replaced both of them and still have the same codes. I talked to someone at the Mitsu dealership and they said while the heads between the Lancer and Mirage are the same, the camshaft and it's position sensor are different between the two cars. They also said that because the engine isn't receiving the necessary voltage from the CKP that it's throwing the crank angle sensor out of whack. Now, I'm stuck because here in PA the emissions laws are that if your check engine light is on, you can't pass. One of my buddies who owns a foreign auto shop around here said I can either find the camshaft position sensor wheel that goes on the end of the camshaft for the Lancer and try to see if it will work with the Mirage camshaft, or get a Mirage ECU and try to wire in the other sensor that goes along with the Mirage camshaft position sensor. I had NO idea that the Mirage head was so different from the Lancer head or I would've just got a Lancer head in the first place. But now I'm stuck like Chuck and I need technical advice. Thanks for reading.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just take the cel light out , and there you go no more check engine light
Old Jul 12, 2007, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 92G2GSTurbo
Where do I start? OK, my wife's car is an 02 ES automatic. The car has 107,000 miles on it and needless to say, she snapped the timing belt. All of the exhaust valves were bent when this happened. I replaced the head with one from an 01 Mirage. Then I replaced the head gasket, head bolts, IM gasket, EM gasket, timing belt, and various other things related to a head replacement or head gasket replacement. I got the timing set and started the car. Well, I was throwing two codes: one is crank angle sensor and the other is camshaft position sensor. I replaced both of them and still have the same codes. I talked to someone at the Mitsu dealership and they said while the heads between the Lancer and Mirage are the same, the camshaft and it's position sensor are different between the two cars. They also said that because the engine isn't receiving the necessary voltage from the CKP that it's throwing the crank angle sensor out of whack. Now, I'm stuck because here in PA the emissions laws are that if your check engine light is on, you can't pass. One of my buddies who owns a foreign auto shop around here said I can either find the camshaft position sensor wheel that goes on the end of the camshaft for the Lancer and try to see if it will work with the Mirage camshaft, or get a Mirage ECU and try to wire in the other sensor that goes along with the Mirage camshaft position sensor. I had NO idea that the Mirage head was so different from the Lancer head or I would've just got a Lancer head in the first place. But now I'm stuck like Chuck and I need technical advice. Thanks for reading.
The heads are the same, but yes the sensors are different. The camshaft between the 4G93 Mirage and 4G94 Lancer is also slightly different. Your best bet would be to take the cam position sensor from the Lancer and put in on the Mirage head. The ends are the same and it will fit.