Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Here are Instructions for Installing Stereo Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crutchfiled makes installation super duper easy, i had never done this before and was done in about half hour!
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:21 PM

Hi, I've purchased a DVD HeadUnit and the Metra Panel. But my audio installer seems to have trouble wiring the DVD HeadUnit back to my stock Rockford Fosgate amplifier.

Has any brothers/sisters who's driving a GTS managed to change to an aftermarket HU and wired it back to the factory 650watts amp? Please help....

Thanks in advance...
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:33 AM

Question

Originally Posted by diamondstar03
figured this may be some handy info for everyone
2002/2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ls es oz

FUNCTION PIN WIRE COLOR
Accessory 12 Volt 11 BU/YW
Constant 12 Volt 10 RD/BK
Chassis Ground BODY
Power Antenna 4 YW
Remote
Illumination 3 GN/WT
Dimmer 9 BK/YW

If the vehicle is equipped with six-speakers, the tweeters will be wired in parallel with the door woofers. Front speaker wire colors are the same at the tweeter and woofer locations.

Left Front Spkr + 2 RD/WT
Left Front Spkr - 8 RD/BU
Right Front Spkr + 1 RD
Right Front Spkr - 7 GN
Left Rear Spkr + 5 WT/BU
Left Rear Spkr - 13 YW/RD
Right Rear Spkr + 6 L.GN
Right Rear Spkr - 14 YW/GN
At Speaker YW/BK
At Speaker YW/RD
At Speaker L.GN
At Speaker YW/GN

Well, I just bought an Alpine iDA-X100 to connect and control my iPod from the head unit. The guys at Crutchfield even sent me the Mitsu wiring harness. I own a '07 Lancer with 4 factory mounted speakers, by the way.

All so happy, I opened the dash yesterday and got a rather unpleasant surprise: my car was fitted with a Kenwood CD/MP3 player unit at the dealership and there is no Mitsu stock wiring harness... I believe they just cut the stock harness and connected the Kenwood head unit's harness to the car's wires.

So, it seems I won't be needing Crutchfield's Mitsu harness and I will have to go with the direct wiring solution too.

I don't believe much in how the dealership installators matched the the colors in Kenwood's harness to the car's wires, so I used diamondstar03's list and the Mitsu harness from Crutchfield to figure out the pin locations, and so the matching cables:

The Mitsu harness's pins can be traced to something like this (depending from which side you look at it):

1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

In the Alpine, these would be the equivalents:

FUNCTION | PIN | WIRE COLOR | ALPINE HARNESS
Accessory 12 Volt | 11 | BU/YW | RD
Constant 12 Volt | 10 | RD/BK | YW
Chassis Ground | BODY | | BK
Power Antenna | 4 | YW | BU
Remote | - | - | BU/WT
Illumination | 3 | GN/WT | ORANGE
Dimmer | 9 | BK/YW | -
Left Front Spkr + | 2 | RD/WT | WT
Left Front Spkr - | 8 | RD/BU | WT/BK
Right Front Spkr + | 1 | RD | GRY
Right Front Spkr - | 7 | GN | GRY/BK
Left Rear Spkr + | 5 | WT/BU | GN
Left Rear Spkr - | 13 | YW/RD | GN/BK
Right Rear Spkr + | 6 | L.GN | PURPLE
Right Rear Spkr - | 14 | YW/GN | PURPLE/BK

In the Alpine, Pins 9 (Dimmer) and 12 (? Not in the list) are not used.
This is weird, because if you want the head unit's dimming function to work (the head unit's light go dimmer whenever you turn on the headlights), you have to connect the orange lead to the #3 Pin (Illumination function).

Also, there is a "Remote" wire in the Alpine, which sends power on/off information to either an amplifier or an equalizer. This is the BU/WT lead in Alpine's HU harness, but it was not traced to a Pin or car Wire Color in the table. I did put it in the Remote row for reference, but I'm not completely sure it really goes in there.

If Kenwood and Alpine use a homologated color scheme for wiring (it seems there is a standard in wiring colors), these would work. They worked for me!

Thanks an awful LOT for the list!

Last edited by ramocan; Mar 21, 2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 06:10 PM

I bought a wiring harness for my JVC HU and it doesn't have a black (ground) wire unlike the JVC wiring harness which has the ground wire...am I actually going to have to find somewhere to screw it into the chasis? the rest of you didn't seem to have to do this...
Old Apr 7, 2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid_Pyro
I bought a wiring harness for my JVC HU and it doesn't have a black (ground) wire unlike the JVC wiring harness which has the ground wire...am I actually going to have to find somewhere to screw it into the chasis? the rest of you didn't seem to have to do this...
This is actually nice and easy to deal with. On the black wire coming out of the JVC, crimp on either a spade or ring-terminal. Screw in the metal mounting brackets on both sides of the radio leaving one screw (preferably either of the rear ones) not screwed in. Use that last screw to secure the connector on the black wire to the chassis of the radio (in between screw and bracket, not bracket and radio).

Now you can throw the radio back into the dash and fasten it with the four screws you used to take out the factory radio. Those brackets will contact metal that is ground in the vehicle.

Problem solved nice and easy
Old Apr 8, 2008, 03:28 PM

Perfect...greatly appareciated
Old Apr 8, 2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ramocan
I don't believe much in how the dealership installators matched the the colors in Kenwood's harness to the car's wires, so I used diamondstar03's list and the Mitsu harness from Crutchfield to figure out the pin locations, and so the matching cables
I'm sorry, but i had to make a note that in the 12 volt industry, most of us refer to ourselves as installers, not installators. Haha, i did get a kick out of that tho.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

I was doing it today and I blew a fuse...driving around without a clock in my car...lol
Old May 7, 2008, 04:43 PM

Today I installed my new Pionner radio into my Lancer 2003 and now all my accessories doent work.... my clock, door lock, radio, etc..... someone know which FUSE had burned?
Old May 8, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dunstop
Hi, I've purchased a DVD HeadUnit and the Metra Panel. But my audio installer seems to have trouble wiring the DVD HeadUnit back to my stock Rockford Fosgate amplifier.

Has any brothers/sisters who's driving a GTS managed to change to an aftermarket HU and wired it back to the factory 650watts amp? Please help....

Thanks in advance...
Im having the exact same problem... Anyone got any ideas? I just need a diagram of the pins on the stereo wiring harness.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dookie
Take the head unit back out, and you will need to make it stick out some more, like I did with mine. Buy some longer screws for the mounting points and get some washers for the screws. I had some pretty thick ones, so I only needed five. Install the washers behind the ISO DIN brackets to make the unit stick out farther....this worked great for me. Hope this helps.
ahh having this same issue...should have looked in here first. washers will work!
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:48 PM

cheers for the tutorial, saved me $80. my sony xplod trim fit over the face neatly and i have no gaps. if u live in aus and cant find the right harness buy a mitsubishi to iso and cut off the iso plugs then crimp them to your head unit wires. real easy just takes a bit more time but i got it right first time. BTW be careful when putting your hand under the console as it cut up my dads hand pretty bad
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:42 PM

for those having problems getting the trim ring to fit around their headunit:

If you are using the factory mounting brackets, this installation method is called ISO mount. When doing this, the radio sits flush with the radio bezel but leaves a small 1/8" gap all around the radio that drives some people crazy.

If you want to eliminate this gap and use the trim that comes with the aftermarket radio, then you do not want to use the factory brackets, but use the metal cage / mounting sleeve that comes with the aftermarket radio. This way, the radio clips into the cage and the trim clicks onto the deck. The down side to this install is that the radio will sit out further, ontop of the radio bezel and whenever the bezel needs to be removed the deck with come with it.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:07 AM

3. Now, it's time to tackle the upper portion of the facade that surrounds the stereo and climate controls

a tip for this step.
push the cover (top corner next to glove box) from behind. Put a hand inside the dashboard through the glove box.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:14 AM

i ran into some trouble with my setup =(
power and ground are good, remote wire is good (amp is powering up), connected signal wires to the correct wires (i thought). im using the stock HU. HU turns on, along with amp, but no sound out of the sub when i turn music on. sound is only coming out of front speakers (i have the sub temporarily hooked up from the rear speakers).
My question is, when the signal wires going to the amp connect to the HU, do they connect to the connector side of the wire, or the speaker side? connector side would make sense, and thats how i have it. sorry if this makes no sense, im really tired, and ive been working on this all day, i just want to get it working already! =( lol
I cant think of what else could be wrong, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Edit 1: Spelling
Edit 2: My only other idea is that maybe the wires are bad? Oh yeah and im bypassing the LOC til i can get my hands on one. I have the rca cables wired directly to the signal wires in back of the HU. That DOES work right? my amp has a wide input range so i dont think its a problem.

Last edited by REXXXXXX; Sep 8, 2009 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Here are Instructions for Installing Stereo Head Unit