Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

My Sirius Satellite Radio Installation (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My Sirius Satellite Radio Installation (w/pics)

My first post... so I hope I have it in the right spot!

I installed my Sirius Starmate 4 a few weeks ago and thought I would share... I installed it in my 2004 Lancer ES, in the open slot below the radio/climate controls. This spot is PERFECT. Easy to get to reach, easy to see!

I put the antennae in the back of the car, right next to the brake light in the rear window. PERFECT reception everywhere, except in tunnels, under a lot of trees, etc... The rear window has 35% tint, which doesn't cause any problems with reception as other people posted... I drilled a hole and ran the wiring through the back of the open slot, behind the glove box, through the passenger side doors and up behind the back seat. I ran the wires along the window underneath the back "dash" and brought it up through the rear brake light. Everything worked out pretty well and no wiring is showing anywhere!

As for the Sirius radio itself, I have the original Mitsubishi radio in my car, which means it's not Satellite ready. I have to tune the radio to an "open" station in order for the Sirius to work (so far so good when it comes to finding open stations (except in Jersey?!). I used the suction cup arm that came with the Sirius radio to install it. First, I removed the slot (by removing the two small screws in the top of the slot) and removed the felt lining in it. Then I removed the suction cup off the arm and screwed it in upside down into the slot with 4 screws (nice and sturdy!). I hope it's clearer in the pics (too hard to put into words!).

(Total install time, about an hour and a half...45 mins of that time was trying to figure out where to install it!)

Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

I thought that the satelite radio antennaes had to be mounted outside? I always hate how others mount theirs in the worst location or off-center just as an half-*** install. If inside works fine, this is good to know for the future when I get it in the new car...
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:46 PM

i have a sirius sportster,,,,you should have mounted it outside, you would have gotten better reception.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullet04
i have a sirius sportster,,,,you should have mounted it outside, you would have gotten better reception.
I get absolutely perfect reception where the antenna is now. I also considered placing it right in the middle of the front dash, along the windshield... but I was too worried that the heat coming through the vents would affect it. (I also didn’t want to have to look at it sitting there!)

As long as you have a direct line of sight to the satellites, it doesn’t matter where you put it.

How would you mount it outside to begin with; where would you run the wiring? I’m not a fan of any external antennas either. If it can be concealed, I’m all for it! (I can’t stand to see these people who run wires out their back window and stick an antenna on the roof of the car!?!)
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:49 PM

first off let me say congrats on the best radio on radio! very sleek install, looks great! i mounted my antenna on the trunk. wired through the trunk and under the side panels.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by White OZ Rally
first off let me say congrats on the best radio on radio! very sleek install, looks great! i mounted my antenna on the trunk. wired through the trunk and under the side panels.
Thanks!

(I have to admit though, I didn't do the dirty work myself, my boyfriend did)... I'm pretty happy with it all though... definitely the best radio, for 12$ a month, you can beat it!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:13 PM

Looks good. I put my antenea on the dash. I glued a piece of metal to the under side of the little clip at the very center of the dash and the magnet keeps it there. I mounted the receiver to the vent though.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

I do Sirius installs on a daily basis. Mounting the antenna on the outside of the car is the best way to go for a few reasons. Number 1 is the fact that you may not have good reception in all areas if you mount it on the dash because your signal becomes very directional. When you turn a different direction, your roof may actually end up blocking out the signal. Number 2, if done correctly, the antennas look alot better on the outside. It is all about location. As far as wiring being visible and what not, just take a few extra minutes and think about where you are running it and what will happen to it over time.

But... not to be totally negative. The unit looks pretty good in that spot.

Almost forgot, since Sirius went retarded with the lighter plugs, you can use a cheap cigarette lighter outlet from Walmart and wire in somewhere behind the dash and hide your power plug. Just wrap it in tape.

Last edited by Never Satisfied; Jan 6, 2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

hey man ur setup looks great! lol i'm start'n to get hooked on stereo systems.