Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Yet another thread about Turboing a 03 lancer.

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2009, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yet another thread about Turboing a 03 lancer.

Build Has Been Completed

As soon as I get my tune figured out at 5psi I will do some 3rd gear to redline pulls and post some hp and trq numbers using vdr. Then do it all again at 8-10psi

Currently 5/28/12 I am running 15 psi on the stock engine hitting 222whp and 244 wtrq on English Racing's Dynojet

Ok so I have read through and looked and looked so please I am not asking for asistance on what I need but rather if my list of components is complete or what I might add or subtract. So without further delay...
1) 16g turbo from evo 8 with oil lines etc.Done
2) intercooler and piping from evo 8 Done
3) speedcorps forge adjustable wastgate actuator Done
4) spring to lower boost from speedcorps Done
5) walbro 255 lphDone
6) wrx 440cc injectorsDone
7) adjustable FPR Cancelled for now
8) BOV evo 9Done
9) 16g manifold from Boostedlancer and Zulu Done
10) Head gasket shim to lower comp. Cancelled
11)Ecuflash, tactrix, and evo8 ecuDone, done and done
12) any evo aftermarket or stock downpipe Done

Items I have gotten:

Zip, nada, nothing lol.

Now a couple questions for all you evo educated folk out there lol. Should I really consider finding a 10.5 hotside or is this just for better flow and more ponies?What does the stock evo 8 turbo run as far as boost using the stock actuator? Does it have to be out of an evo 8 for this setup to work? will a 150mm head gasket shim drop my comp to 9.5:1, if I get said shim would the actuator lowering the boost still be necassary? Can I run 10-11psi safely with the shim on my daily driven 03 lancer es? Do I need the o2 housing for the turbo as well? Is $300 good for a evo 8 turbo with o2 housing 30k on it and no shaft play? What would be a good size intercooler for this setup if I want to keep the crash bar in front and if I remove it for the evo intercooler does that mean I am toast if I am hit head on? I have just gotten serious about boostin my car its an 03 lancer ES with about 78k on the motor and body, Zero engine mods just nice and clean and figured its time for engine mods now, I am not looking for ungodly power and I am on a very tight budget but want it reliable so I did my research and figured I would confirm with the authorities on the subject.

*Update*
List so far:
Turbo with 9.8 hotside: Have
FMIC with UICP and LICP: Have
440cc injectors: Have
Walbro 255: Have
O2 housing: Have
Openport 1.3m: Have
Evo 8 ECU: Have
Forge WGA: Have
EGT and Oil pressure Gauges with senders: Have
ARP Head studs: Have
Timing belt and Head gasket: Have
Megan Evo 9 manifold: Bought and sold!!!!!
16G 4G94 Manifold: Have
Boost Gauge, and A pillar: Have
Forge spring tuning kit: Have
Slim Fan: Have
AEM Uego: Have
RRM stage 2 Clutch: Have
Lightweight crank pulley: Have
Evoscan: Have
Oil Sandwich Adapter: Have
Magnaflow Muffler: Have
Evo 9 Metal BOV: Have
Evo 9 Complete Intake piping: Have
3" B&B Downpipe: Have
Oil feed line: Have
MBC: Have
Total so far: $2089.97

Last edited by 03lances; May 29, 2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: more parts collected
Old May 1, 2009, 01:21 AM
Account Disabled

Double post huh!?!

And why do i see all these Lancers doing evo builds???? What is this world coming to.

**** i need to get myself a civic dx and try to make it into a Si. WEEE!!!!
Transformer into a replica. SWEETNESSS!!!
Old May 1, 2009, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

Just found that using evo parts is going to be the best route, im definately not looking to make it an evo clone
Old May 1, 2009, 01:26 AM
Account Disabled

^^ Okay, hope not......i just see SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many threads about evo builds, my gawd......it makes me wonder what these ****3rs are doing and what is this world coming to!?!?! \:
Old May 1, 2009, 01:30 AM
Account Disabled

And for the 8 turbo.....8 turbo sucks, but for you it should be okay.....run 8-10 psi should be better for your since you're gonna daily your car and of course get that mug tuned. If you do track it, just up the psi a few. For the intercooler, just get the stock 8/9 intercooler.....that should work. If you get anything over 3" and over it's more likely you will have to remove your crash beam or you will have to fabricate something to make the crash beam and your fatty front mount fit. In my situation, i have a 4.5" intercooler and i am beam less up front and in the rear i am beam less as well because of my JDM rear and of course less weight.....but if some one were to hit me, I AM DONE!!!! Or if i hit some one, i am DONE!!!! But heeeey, knock on wood!
Old May 1, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

ya Im not looking for a track car just more pep in my daily. Is the evo 8 turbo that bad??? From what I read sounds like the perfect setup for my application. I am hoping to end result will be around 200 whp. Anyone know abouts the rpm range for the boost with this setup? I got this car almost 3 years ago for a ridiculously good deal and have been building it up ever since, although very slowly as I be poor folk lol.
Old May 1, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Domolution
Double post huh!?!

And why do i see all these Lancers doing evo builds???? What is this world coming to.

^^ I could see comparing your honda analogy to me making my car a ralliart but not an evo!!! lol.
Old May 1, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The difference between the Evo 8 w and w/o the 10.5 hotside should not inhibit you. As far as I am educated, the advantage to the larger hotside is to reduce back pressure under serious boost and load. So in your case, you are running less than half of the stock Evo psi and as such, I would think, be fine with the standard Evo 8 turbo. Also, not totally sure if I misunderstood Domolution's post, but it is not safe to simply turn up the boost at the track. If you are tuned for 8-10psi, that is with a safety net included based on the fuel you run. Cranking the boost will cause knock and all sorts of other horrible things. However, if you run a tank of 104 oct or something like that, a small increase in boost is fine to gain a few ponies. In my case I am 93 oct tuned for 24.5 psi but can safely run 27psi on a tank of 104. Hope I helped a little
Old May 1, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Domolution
Double post huh!?!

i think ex is much easier
Old May 1, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03lances
Is the evo 8 turbo that bad???
No, of course not. For the amount of boost you are going to run, an VIII turbo is probably more ideal as it will be less laggy on your engine then a 10.5 VIII or IX. You won't be anywhere close to stressing out an '03-'04 VIII turbo on a stock bottom 4G94. '03-'04 VIII turbos should be easier and cheaper to get.
Old May 1, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Ok thats what I was thinking in regards to the turbo, basically want a smaller turbo that will have low lag time and boost quicker as I obviously wont be pushing any limits lol. I want it as reliable as possible will the head gasket shim help add to my safety net?
Old May 2, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never used a headgasket shim (thicker headgasket) but I know a lot of Honda guys do it to lower compression. I think its a band aid approach but, if you are comfortable doing it go for it.
Old May 2, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Well I just always thought that lower compression engines work best for turbo but if I can do it without a shim and still make around 200whp reliable for daily use thats all good too!!
Old May 2, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 03lances
Well I just always thought that lower compression engines work best for turbo but if I can do it without a shim and still make around 200whp reliable for daily use thats all good too!!
On a stock Evo turbo and 11psi you'll have your 200whp AND a reliable daily driver.
Old May 2, 2009, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't really worry about the 10.5 hotside, it's not going to benefit you much at low boost.

Luckily, our lancers and the evos are on the same chassis for the most part, so a lot bolts on easily. The intercooler bolts up, but you have to remove the crash bar. The intercooler pipes all fit well, although with certain ones you may need to cut a bracket.

My 16g spools pretty much instantly and I love it. If you are going to mess with the head gasket, I would just get a new stock head gasket and some arp head studs.

Yes you will need an O2 housing, O2 dump, or some custom downpipe to mate to the turbo for the exhaust...

Quick Reply: Yet another thread about Turboing a 03 lancer.