Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Prospective Turbo Buyer Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2005, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggins82786
honestly how much did y'all spend on your turbo kits and initial tuning? what kind of places can tune a turbo charged car??? i have no clue on that one.
TC kit + tuning = 4 grand marker as a starting point, IMO

The 2g DSMs are starting to drop in price, especially the smilie faced ones like the 95 GST or GSX, floating under 7 grand as stock. Bad news: they have 7-bolts flywheel = prone to crankwalk. 98-99 DSM's still hold their price around the 10 grand marker as stocker.

I know 850cc = +500 whp . . . seen 4 cars w/ such dynos. IMO, 370cc injectors aren't really enough.

310cc for NA is the about right amount of HP to float +200 crank HP (a bit over). For FI, injectors have to work harder demanding fuel.

http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm
Use this site's formula . . . think of your HP goals. plug and play the formula.

Example: The modern E8 will never make its HP if they used stock 450cc from DSM w/ manual tranny. They will hit fuel cut very hard; at worse, the motor blows up trying to hit +18 psi.

Last edited by bahamut; Mar 12, 2005 at 07:58 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

I paid about the price of an RRM kit for my entire custom turbo kit. That included some expensive IC piping, turbo clamps and silicon hoses, and all my electronics (gauges, SAFC, SITC, AVCR etc etc)....

I do have more invested into in than that, but the actual turbo components cost about what an RRM non-ICed kit would cost.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

if i have heard right then the rrm kit comes with everything needed, correct? is there anything that you guys would recommend me getting to help the engine and the turbo?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

We always recommend EGT Gauge, and Boost gauge, and Turbo timer, also when order, you should order the RRM header it frees up a lot of power.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're just looking for fun safe speed though just get the basic intercooled kit. It will be more than enough and well worth it. Leave it at stock boost and you'll be good to go for years to come.

Once you find it's not enough anymore then start moding further. It's easy to do that... the first initial turbo setup is what is the hardest it seems. So just get the basic kit and go on that for a while. You'll be more than satisfied with everything... including the customer support you may need/want during instalation.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

on the rrm website where it says click here for stage 2 dyno chart is that after being tuned or is that with it just the way it comes? also how much $ is the stage two compared to the regular one?
Old Mar 13, 2005, 09:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Both kit's are tuned... you don't have to tune them at all when you get them. Just install and go. That is another cost savings to the kit. Some think it's expensive but you don't have to do anything but install and go. The R&D/tuning have been done for you.

Stage 2 is 1199.00 i believe... thats in addition to the 4000 for the intercooled kit.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:21 AM

Wouldn't it be best if he gets the piggy back ECU? Because Im also in the market to geting a turbo kit!
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

stage 1 doesn't include the ecu, stage 2 does
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:40 PM
EvoM Guru

If you're local go for the ecu and pay for tuning... otherwise buy the stage 2 and be happy. If you're not local... don't want stage 2... and going custom then you'll need some kindof engine management you can tune or have tuned at your local shop.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:29 PM

So I gotta buy the RRM Piggy back because it doesn't come with the stage 1 kit because that what Im buying!
Old Mar 13, 2005, 09:30 PM
EvoM Guru

you don't need the piggy with stage 1 kit... just buy the kit and that is all you need.

RRM uses the piggy in their stage 2 kit as they use bigger injectors in that kit... all you need is the stage one kit. You don't need anything else at all. If you want a header, test pipe, exhaust, throttle body, intake manifold, etc then you can get them to enhance the kit giving you more power. They are not needed though. Does this clear things up for you as it seems you're getting confused about the piggy situation.

Again, you don't need the piggy at all for stage 1 or 0 kits... just the kit and that is all.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:25 PM

Cool, I sat down lastnight explaing to my dad bout the kit, and I might be getting it sooner than I think! The only thing Im goona have trouble with is tapping into the oil pan but I got my help @ my shop! But it would be best if I get a Apex SAFC for the fuel right because i don't wanna run lean and blow my engine?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

like wat we sed, are u doing a custom turbo set up, or do u want something pretuned, safe and a little faster?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Viciouz
like wat we sed, are u doing a custom turbo set up, or do u want something pretuned, safe and a little faster?
a custom turbo kit can be as safe or safer than an rrm kit and can be as fast or faster

Quick Reply: Prospective Turbo Buyer Questions