Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

RWD Vs AWD?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2004, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RWD Vs AWD?

Can someone explain to me why RWD is better then AWD high end? Im sorta confused on this subject as to how since all power is being distributed to all 4 wheels...Is FWD better as well for top end orrr?

Help prz
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:38 PM

I won't go as far as to say rwd versus awd is better at top end but I can say that bhp or hp lost is less at rwd and fwd versus awd and that can account for the difference in time or speed if every thing else is equal like weight, hp, driver and conditions.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:40 PM
Account Disabled

oh hell no RWD is not better than AWD! Look at the skyline! The only thing that is better or equal to AWD is mid or rear engine rear wheel drive. AWD has better high speed traction that most RWD cars, except the NSX.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:44 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

If both cars were same, rwd would have less drivetrain overhead = less mechanical parts in game = less friction and that's why you usually have more use of it at top end when everything needs to spin faster.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

IMHO, which is better depends on your perspective. The Evo is marketted by Mitsu (to the best of my understanding) to enable participation in WRC racing (manufacturer's cup). In WRC, AWD is infinitely superior to RWD or FWD (mid or otherwise) ... 4 wheels driving means better performance in the dirt. There are those (like me) that would argue on closed course road racing/running, AWD is an edge as well, however, thats probably more subjective than objective.

Anyways, its all a matter of perspective. For me, if I'm going in a straight line, I want RWD ... if I'm going on a course or off road, I want AWD ... FWD is fun at times, but you can have my Evo after I'm dead or Mitsu builds something significantly better.

-- dave
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

On the highway FWD has the least power loss and will be fastest when comparing cars of the same power to weight and aerodynamics.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:54 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by raymerd
IMHO, which is better depends on your perspective. The Evo is marketted by Mitsu (to the best of my understanding) to enable participation in WRC racing (manufacturer's cup). In WRC, AWD is infinitely superior to RWD or FWD (mid or otherwise) ... 4 wheels driving means better performance in the dirt. There are those (like me) that would argue on closed course road racing/running, AWD is an edge as well, however, thats probably more subjective than objective.

Anyways, its all a matter of perspective. For me, if I'm going in a straight line, I want RWD ... if I'm going on a course or off road, I want AWD ... FWD is fun at times, but you can have my Evo after I'm dead or Mitsu builds something significantly better.

-- dave
Well you have to look at why AWD is pretty much not allowed in most racing classes....
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

RWD=Drifting
AWD=Better handling in any weather condition.
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Guack007
On the highway FWD has the least power loss and will be fastest when comparing cars of the same power to weight and aerodynamics.
UNTIL you went into a corner...then power to weight gives way to balance....
Evolving Member

i read a car magazine a while ago, it said rwd, you get slower start but you gain power as you start driving. fwd, better start but you lose power as the car starts moving. it has to do with physics, it also mentioned AWD. if you want i can get the magazine name
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:59 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by drharlequin
i read a car magazine a while ago, it said rwd, you get slower start but you gain power as you start driving. fwd, better start but you lose power as the car starts moving. it has to do with physics, it also mentioned AWD. if you want i can get the magazine name
yeah except you have to have like 500WHP to make a AWD car break traction....FWD you have to have like 120...that's total BS.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 09:00 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
UNTIL you went into a corner...then power to weight gives way to balance....
Unless you drive Integra Type-R or something like that
Old Jul 14, 2004, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
Well you have to look at why AWD is pretty much not allowed in most racing classes....
Fair enough, but I'm thinking I'm missing what you are trying to say ...
Old Jul 14, 2004, 09:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SoR
Unless you drive Integra Type-R or something like that
Oh come on, those cars aren't that great. EVOs are faster!
Old Jul 14, 2004, 09:01 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drharlequin
I think you got it reversed. FWD = slower start and then you make up.

Quick Reply: RWD Vs AWD?