Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Joined the Darkside

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joined the Darkside

So I've been a Subaru fan for near a decade, the first one I drove was a 2004 STi, because the dealer was super cool and let me drive a used one even though I was just getting a 2005 RS. When I could afford it, I upgraded to a 2011 WRX; signed a three year lease which set a goal and a timeline; if I couldn't afford to keep the car at the end of the lease, then it wasn't meant to be, which laid the core foundation for my motivation to work towards where I am today. So during that lease period, I had crappy jobs but met good people, scraping by on my lease payments, but the experience was worth it, I was able to scratch that itch.

When I initially moved out to Saskatchewan for work, I was encouraged by non-Subaru owners to return my WRX and get something more practical for this part of the country, a truck. I was heartbroken, I now had the means to keep the car which I had learned to love, but practicality was against me. Potholes can be numerous, snowdrifts and wind in the winter can make Southern Saskatchewan an unforgiving driving environment for vehicles less than half a ton in weight, low ground clearance and serious off road 4x4 capability...did I mention that the nearest gas station with 91 octane is 100 kms away from my new home? "But it's got rally heritage, I should be able to handle snow and gravel" I rationalized to myself and dammit, I just wasn't ready to own a boring car, especially now that I can afford to not settle for less. Nearing the end of my lease and now with a few months of firsthand experience living here, I had to revisit my options. After analyzing my new lifestyle here, I realized that while getting groceries is important, I by and large, used my vehicle for recreation (I walk to work), all the more reason why I still can't settle for a boring vehicle; plenty of time to settle down when I leave my bachelorhood behind me, but in the meantime, I still want to have fun.

As much as I loved my WRX, it just seemed like a good opportunity to upgrade. I was strongly considering the 2015 STI and all pissing matches aside, I decided to go a different direction, I treaded down the path to the darkside...

I'm loving the car so far and while it's not fair to compare a regular WRX with near base Impreza suspension to an Evo with the handling package (Eibachs on top of Bilsteins) I've gotta say, this girl can dance. I can't really say to how the turbo really feels yet, due to break-in "babying", but this car's handling lives up to the hype. It's like the car makes and exception for me and bends the laws of physics to my whim.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for the STI; it was my first introduction to boost and Subaru as a brand, has forever made me a believer in the AWD drivetrain. But the darkside of the Force is an alluring mistress...

I now have Rally Armor mudflaps (as I have always had on each of my cars since my first Impreza) and 3M tape on the car to help deal with all the loose gravel on Saskatchewan highways. I also ordered a full TWM kit, with shifter, cage and bushings; while the W5M6A is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, I'd still like it to be shorter.

Last edited by jlagman; Apr 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:55 AM

Congrats on the purchase! Car looks amazing, I can't even imagine what it feels like to own a brand new X. You won't be disappointed! Props for having the restraint to give it a nice break in.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice! I think I like the S-AWC badge on the trunk than on the back windshield. mines all faded
Old Apr 20, 2014, 04:27 PM

Awesome, huge upgrade from a base WRX, hope it all works out for you. Enjoy
Old Apr 21, 2014, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:36 PM

Looks like your off to a good start with those mods.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats! Swapping my WRX for an X next month. Won't look back.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 06:16 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually the subaru side is the dark side. ..