Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why the hate on low Evos?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
hellaflush=fail imo. back to the honda days huh?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bhsj13
hellaflush=fail imo. back to the honda days huh?
+1 stance =
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smike
Haters? It's a performance car and you've gone full retard.

Your suspension geometry is upside-down.

Best setting? -1.4 front and -1 to -1.2 rear is lowest you should go.
This is pretty much the last word, 'round here.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Because it generally decreases performance and results in damage to the car (either from the tires rubbing or hitting inclines). But yea if its your car feel free to treat how you like. Just be prepared to take the hit come resale time.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
on tarmac you should lower the car to the point where you dont screw up the suspension geometry. Our car key is a handling.

I 100% agree with Smike. I have a 1.4 inch lower spring front and 1.0 or 1.2 on the rear. ( Eichbah Springs)

Looks better and handles a same as stock or maybe even a bit better.
That is fine. Other then that you need a major overhaul suspension wise to make it right if has a purpose. Like track duty.

What everybody hates is a meaningless lowering with stupid wheels. That is a different crowed and usually belongs to different cars. If you want look ans stance etc, the evo is a wrong car for you. For a same money you can go German and lower the **** out of your car. Wont hurt the handling anyway

Old Apr 20, 2014, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by escodotcarter
doesn't matter if you have $300 coils or $5000 coils. Suspension geometry is key. I'm pretty sure a lot more goes into setting up those "high level" evos than just a set of coilovers.
it DOES matter you have a $1000 suspension or the $5000. They key is as always the right adjustments and set up for your car. Which with a $1000 you will never achieve vs the $5000 or higher level coilovers.
But you 100% right on that point which is in lowering the car is more then buying a set of coilover.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 04:51 PM

Some entertaining replies on this thread. I hope the question was answered. I too agree with most replies going against the grain on dropping an Evolution to the ground. It is called an "evolution" for reason, correct? Let's leave the design and engineering to the geniuses who created it and leave it at that. Lowering vehicles has its place and type. Performance track machines are no where near this category.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

What I mean is, time attack Evos are LOW!!!! Is this because of body kits that make it appear lower?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

For example this car. Super low and no wheel gap. This car would scrape over anything. It's very low, so why is the suspension geometry not "ruined"? What makes this scenario different than a low car riding on bump stops. Again, just looking for info. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Why the hate on low Evos?-image.jpg  
Old Apr 21, 2014, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
For example this car. Super low and no wheel gap. This car would scrape over anything. It's very low, so why is the suspension geometry not "ruined"? What makes this scenario different than a low car riding on bump stops. Again, just looking for info. Thanks.
simple answer for you that car NEVER see a street road, it purpose built for the track where you don't find pothole , very uneven pavement and driveways. it has massive amount aero mods, plus ,i can guarantee that they didn't just lower the car, they more then likely mess with the suspension geometry to tweak it base on the track it racing

also track make car 1 of the reason they are so low is to reduce the amount air traveling under the car, to much air resistance = which causes lift( loss of down force) = a big no no when you driving at high speeds due less control over the input of the car, similar to how you aquaplane

Last edited by shak2300; Apr 21, 2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate "stanced" cars with the extreme camber. I think it looks dumb. The scirocco a few posts up looks pretty good to me. But having the car to low just makes it annoying to drive.

My complaint is driving capability. If one of these guys with 1/2" of tire touching the street has to avoid an accident or something, that car isn't going have the traction to stop or turn at all. Making the car potentially dangerous. That's what makes it stupid.

This looks like it was dropped from a crane... what makes that look good?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cars with excessive camber look dumb and broken, plain and simple. I would be so embarrassed to be seen in a car like that.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:32 PM

Basically you want to lower as much as your conditions will allow given you have ALL supporting modifications (full multilink w/ adjustable lower control arms) while allowing full movement of your suspension. This is because you want to lower your roll center as much as possible to keep as much pressure from all 4 wheels to the ground. If you were driving on a 100% smooth surface you should be as low as possible assuming your toe and camber were correct throughout full motion of your suspension.

But for the sake of this thread, people can slam or monster truck their cars for all I care. It is their car after all whether or not they want to track it or just simply daily drive it with form over function.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

We all agree about camber/scraping/ etc etc. I've just literally been told "Evos should not be lowered, it messes up blah blah blah" and I call bull****. Now, mine will most likely only be lowered on swift springs and fortune auto coilover, all I want is no wheel gap to be honest.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I 100% agree with Smike. I have a 1.4 inch lower spring front and 1.0 or 1.2 on the rear. ( Eichbah Springs)
Eichbah? Did you buy those from China?

Quick Reply: Why the hate on low Evos?