Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

How to bleed acd in EVO 8???

Old Apr 29, 2010, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to bleed acd in EVO 8???

Can anyone give me step by step instructions how to bleed my Active Center Differential in a garage. I have 05 EVO.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

bump ttt ... cause i would like to know also
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
there is a write up here about replacing the clutch/removing the transmission and they wrote about bleeding the ACD. if i remember correctly you place your foot on the gas pedal and turn it ket to the "on" position the ACD pump will turn on and you will be able to bleed it. it might be beneficial to have a second person there to open the valve to release the fluid. i have done this in the past and it seemed to work but next time i think i will open it up and let gravity do its thing and it drain slowly.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

gravity does not "bleed" the ACD system it actually lets air in the system. The proper way to do it is to fill the reservoir, turn the key to the on position but don't start the car, have some one climb under the car and pull the dirt cap off the bleeder port, put your 10mm brake line wrench on the fitting, with someone else pressing the gas pedal all the way to the floor crack the bleeder port open until the fluid flows without bubbles or interruption or "spurting" tighten the bleeder port before the person lifts there foot off the floor or the reservior runs out of fluid. Replace the dust cap, refill the reservior, install cap and enjoy!

Edit: I have actually done it by myself by attaching a string or bungee cord to hold the throttle wide open. Not recommended but it can be done by yourself.

Josh
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by dvd_mi
Can anyone give me step by step instructions how to bleed my Active Center Differential in a garage. I have 05 EVO.
I know this has been talked about before, but if you can't find it here's the fast way of bleeding the ACD without going to the dealer:

Tools:
10mm wrench or socket
vacum hose
ACD fluid

how to:

this is a 2 man job, someone to turn the key to the on position and step on the gas pedal until the pump comes on and anther to loosen the 10mm bleed bolt on the TCase(bottom).

1. have a guy under the car ready on the bleed bolt with vacum hose on it diverting to a cup or bottle for excess acd fluid.
2. turn the key to on position, without starting, as soon as you turn the key, press on the gas peddle to the ground and notify your buddy under the car that its on.
3. the acd pump will come on and open the bleeder right away to let out air or fluid. Close bleeder when pump stops pumping usually after 3-5 seconds.
4. repeat 5-6 times.

good luck
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thanks for the back up Josh. i wouldnt have thought about the gravity letting air in. now i know not to do it. i have in the past put a 20lb dumbell on the gas pedal as i was underneath the car opening the valve lol. sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get it done lol

Originally Posted by Jmelocik@Spec-Ops
gravity does not "bleed" the ACD system it actually lets air in the system. The proper way to do it is to fill the reservoir, turn the key to the on position but don't start the car, have some one climb under the car and pull the dirt cap off the bleeder port, put your 10mm brake line wrench on the fitting, with someone else pressing the gas pedal all the way to the floor crack the bleeder port open until the fluid flows without bubbles or interruption or "spurting" tighten the bleeder port before the person lifts there foot off the floor or the reservior runs out of fluid. Replace the dust cap, refill the reservior, install cap and enjoy!

Edit: I have actually done it by myself by attaching a string or bungee cord to hold the throttle wide open. Not recommended but it can be done by yourself.

Josh
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
thanks for the back up Josh. i wouldnt have thought about the gravity letting air in. now i know not to do it. i have in the past put a 20lb dumbell on the gas pedal as i was underneath the car opening the valve lol. sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get it done lol
I've done that as well but I don't like the idea of the pump running for long after I've closed the bleeder valve, it's just my OCD kicking in. LOL

Josh
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Is the bleeder screw on the actual pump or transfer case
Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Transfer case on the bottom. PM answered.

Josh
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i purchased my car with the engine, tranny and Tcase out off the car. i have everything back in the car and ready to put fluid in.

can i use a vacuum brake bleeder tool to bleed the ACD, i have one that's hocked up to the air compressor.

also, what's a good fluid to use for ACD.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:28 AM

i purchased my car with the engine, tranny and Tcase out off the car. i have everything back in the car and ready to put fluid in.

can i use a vacuum brake bleeder tool to bleed the ACD, i have one that's hocked up to the air compressor.

also, what's a good fluid to use for ACD.
ATF is the fluid to use. No need to use any fancy bleeder tool, not as critical/fussy as clutch/brakes.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:31 AM

gravity does not "bleed" the ACD system it actually lets air in the system.
Unlike bleeding brakes, I don't think in this case that air will get in as the fluid keeps it out. Just my experience.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I got mobile1 synthetic ATF that's compatible with SP III
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by phemes
Unlike bleeding brakes, I don't think in this case that air will get in as the fluid keeps it out. Just my experience.
Actually without the pressure of the pump pushing the fluid and bubbles out "gravity bleeding" won't work. Just moves the air bubble around to somewhere else in the system. You can't feel it like brakes or clutch so you'll never know. You're right, it isn't as critical but if you want to keep all three lights from coming on at once then do it right the first time.

Josh
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Can someone give me an idea where the bleeder valve is ?

TIA

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to bleed acd in EVO 8???