Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Clutch/Brake Fluid Resevoir Cap Missing (fluid low and clutch pedal drops to floor)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch/Brake Fluid Resevoir Cap Missing (fluid low and clutch pedal drops to floor)

Hello everyone. I was hoping that someone could help me out here with something. Just for reference i drive an 06 9 MR

So today i woke up for class and got into my car and started it up. I put the car into reverse and let out on the clutch (exedy twin HD) and suddenly stalled. Thinking that i just didnt know how the hell to drive i started the car up again inwhich it took 3 trys of turning the car over for it to start again. I put it in reverse and pulled out of the spot. I then Put the clutch in to shift to first gear and BAM my pedal went straight to floor. (i thought to myself that CLEARLY that isnt good)

So i popped the hood and checked everything out. I then noticed that the Twist Cap to the Clutch/Brake fluid reservoir was mysteriously missing and the fluid was a bit below the MIN line on the reservoir. I have no idea what the heck happened to the cap. I searched the engine bay and found nothing. I am guessing that i lost pressure to the clutch line and thus that is the reason why i cannot get my car into gear at all because i cannot press the clutch in (it just drops). If i pull the clutch towards me it sort of POPS into a secure position. Then you press it and it POPS back out.

So basically i am wondering what the heck should i do?? I obviously need a new cap.

I am wondering this....
Can i just get a new cap and fill the reservoir back up, stick the cap back on and everything will be fine?? Or do i have to do something else? Like do i have to put the fluid in put the cap on, pump the clutch, bleed the line, REMOVE MY ENGINE??

Any help would be great.
Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats crazy that it just disappeared.
get a new cab, refill the reservoir, and you should really bleed the clutch system to get any air that got in out..
then back to normal, everything should be fine.

i bet if you search the how to section you can find a write up on how bleed the clutch system. extremely easy and simple.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by lemmysports2
thats crazy that it just disappeared.
get a new cab, refill the reservoir, and you should really bleed the clutch system to get any air that got in out..
then back to normal, everything should be fine.

i bet if you search the how to section you can find a write up on how bleed the clutch system. extremely easy and simple.
Yea i know. I have no clue how it may have come off. Of course no dealership stocks it so i gotta wait a few days to get it.

Would you think that if i bleed the line with a MOTIVE power bleeder then stuck some rubber stopper in there and Duct taped and electrical taped the **** outta it do you think that would be sufficient enough to work for a couple of miles?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:23 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave, wait for the cap to come in, and grab a new can of brake fluid with your Motive bleeder. I would bleed the clutch line and the brakes all over. The fluids are prolly ruined from exposure to moisture in the air, and who knows if air made it to your brake system.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by chu
Dave, wait for the cap to come in, and grab a new can of brake fluid with your Motive bleeder. I would bleed the clutch line and the brakes all over. The fluids are prolly ruined from exposure to moisture in the air, and who knows if air made it to your brake system.
Yea i am thinking i will need to bleed the brake system as well. I would rather bleed the clutch first to get that working then when i have more time bleed the brakes.

Steps so far are
1. Fill motive bleeder up 1/4 - 1/2 full of DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.
2. Pump Motive to 15 psi
3. Bleed the system out.
Now this is where i am not sure what to do. Obviously if you just hook up the motive and pump it will force fluid through the system but the fluid wont have anywhere to go...
So this is the part where the bleeding comes in
Is there a screw on the Clutch/brake fluid reservoir that i need to turn in order to bleed the fluid and air out?

Also once you release this screw (which i am not sure where it is on the reservoir) fluid will start coming out and i assume that **** is not good to get all over stuff.

So i have come across this TUTORIAL
http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/brak...ebleeding.html
If you scroll down it shows you how to make a catch bottle but it does not show you WHERE to connect the bottle and the tube to.

that tutorial is for bleeding the brakes. So therefore it shows you where to connect the catch bottle to on the calipers but it does not show you where to connect it to on the Reservoir in order to do the clutch.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:38 PM

Ok scratch this thread haha
I just fixed it. I topped off the reservoir and bled the line. Pumped the clutch topped it back off bled the line again pumped it again etc and now the clutch is back.

Thanks again!