Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Where do I go from here?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I go from here?

Hello everyone,

I'm stuck and need some suggestions. Some money has come my way ($1900) and after literally days/weeks of research I just don't know where to put it on the Evo. Some background: Evo 9 MR, 380 AWHP, 355TQ, 30k miles. List of mods:

Power
BR TBE, Kelford 272s, ETS LICP, AMS 3.5" FMIC, FORGE UNOS MBC, Perrin Intake System, AEM Uego, Prosport Boost Gauge

Suspension
Swift Spec-R springs, Agency Power 27mm Rear Sway

On Hand/On order already
Megan O2, PPI ported ex mani and hotside, Whiteline: RCK, Bump steer kit, precision steering kit

I am interested in autocross (thanks chemwarrior!) and know my suspension needs to be tightened up, but I don't want to get so-so coilovers and have to buy better ones later. So, where would my money best be spent?

Items I am looking at:
Perrin PSRS, Whiteline front sway, Energy suspension master bushing kit, ported intake mani (MAP;$229, BR;$199, or PPI;$49), 65mm throttle body (Mil.Spec; $289, PPI; $249), 1000 cc injectors, Aluminum driveshaft (??), Beatrush propeller shaft bushings, AMS motormounts, endlinks (??). Anything else???

Obviously, all of the above parts total more than $1900 and some require a tune. However, does the ported ex mani, O2, and hotside require a new tune? I'm trying to have more money go to parts than installation/tune.

Thank you
Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you could buy a set of 2 piece lightweight girodisc rotors, that's ha I would get if I had the money
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

What about a good set of brake pads, lightweight wheels (although the stock BBSs are already pretty light), and/or better tires. Are you trying to stay within a certain class in Autocross, or just looking to do mods that will benefit you on the street as well?

Are you on the stock fuel pump? And what is E-85 availability like in your area? If you are going to go with bigger injectors, maybe bump them up to 1250cc+ injectors and make the switch to E-85.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

My first buy with that money would be the aluminum driveshaft. I know that AWD sells an awesome peice that a friend of mine had gotten and he loves it. If I'm not mistaken there under $800. Then with the left overs just pick and chose what else you want from your list.
Good luck!!

-Justin
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

with the AWD aluminum drive shaft you have to send yours to them and it is $695! But I would go with some AWD Motorsports spec D2 Racing coilovers for $1095 and then save the rest!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 97TSiAWD
What about a good set of brake pads, lightweight wheels (although the stock BBSs are already pretty light), and/or better tires. Are you trying to stay within a certain class in Autocross, or just looking to do mods that will benefit you on the street as well?

Are you on the stock fuel pump? And what is E-85 availability like in your area? If you are going to go with bigger injectors, maybe bump them up to 1250cc+ injectors and make the switch to E-85.
I'll be getting new wheels/tires next April in time for autocross. I'm not particular about staying in a certain class, my car is mostly DD with some autocross (though I want mods that will complement both).

I do have the Walbro, forgot to include it on the list. E-85 is pretty much a no-go in my area, only 3 stations have it. I wad thinking about the FIC Bluemax 1250s because eventually Iwould like to make the switch to E-85 when feasible.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

ported mani and a twin plate clutch, your going to need one soon if you keep pushing the HP envelope
Old Oct 16, 2009, 02:30 PM

i believe a ported manifold and hotside will need a retune.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

ask mellon
Old Nov 3, 2009, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

If your on stock struts think abt some coilovers or like some camber plates