Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by tellme718
Well I may not have 4-7 years on this site to accord stickies and organize anything yet. What can I say? I have a full time job, don't have the best internet connection and have after work activities that consume my days. Eventually I will contribute my fair share to the site as the Mods see fit. Starting with how to install an Aux port into the Evo X MR that don't have it which I can't find on this site. In fact, I plan on answering many questions I can't seem to find on this site.

I stand unabashed and will adjure bigotry to those who stand to discredit my Evo or any Evo for that matter as it doesn't correspond to the "community" idea this site supposedly stands for. I demand respect as a car enthusiast and refuse to be undermined for my relatively new purchase of an Evo X.

Kyoo, I may have posted a fake time on the nurburgring but immediately followed up with an actual time accompanied by a website and video for reference. It clearly shows an X with similar power to a IX performing a better lap time. I wanted to share this with others on this thread since this thread is about debating. On another post you state the IX is a better track car. I also disagree but hey who cares.

My largest discomfort comes from 9 owners who still feel the need to bandy the smallest details to somehow reinforce their resentment with the X most likely due to their envy and insecurity of the dam car. The indisputable matter at hand on this thread is whether the X is an overall better purchase over its predecessor. In my own conceit (which is comical to even state since it is given that anything you write is your opinion unless you attribute it to another source; stating that something is your opinion seems obvious and juvenile in academic writing; but I will do it here since some might feel provoked) the X is the better overall vehicle hands down as I've expressed before. Not that I'm invalidating the IX prowess but, the X can accomplish similar results in a better fashion.
i dont know anyone who undermined u for your purchase of the x. maybe undermined the x, which probably hurt your ego more than anything. as far as the statements you have made in this thread, that is another story.

i can tell you the source of 'resentment' is not out of envy, though that is a common misconception and may disappoint some people - it's pride.

when the evo vs sti debates used to be fairly heated, i assure you it was not because evo owners were envious of stis - it was a matter of pride. we buy evos because we believe they are the best performance car for the money, and we defend our cars against any rivals and newcomers - again, out of pride, not out of envy.

as far as whatever else, you did not even know when you first posted that the x was as fast or faster than the ix and in fact i was the first one to correct you on that point.

finally, similar results, yes definitely. accomplishing them in a better fashion, that is pure opinion. someone who is saying that regarding the x's daily driving amenities, yes definitely. for me personally, as a driver's car and an autocross car, i guess i would say the ix accomplishes those in a 'better fashion.'

ps, im surprised no one pointed this out, but you cannot compare the times of two different drivers, especially on a course like the nurburgring. period - maybe it was obvious enough to go without saying. it doesnt matter if the cars have the same level of power. if you meant to use that as an example of a x beating a 9, im sure there are hundreds of examples of that.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
This is where you are confused. Nobody arguing the X vs VIII/IX argument is envious or insecure in any way.

I've said it before I'll say it again:

I would NOT trade my almost 10yr old 140k+ mile VIII, straight up even, for a brand new off the lot X GSR or MR (Would never own the MR anyway) PERIOD.

Would I buy a X sure I may pick one up down the line but I can think of a few other cars I'd rather purchase.

I'm glad you are happy with your purchase as you should be, But please know there is no shred of envy, jealousy, or insecurity for your car here pal
there are people who wont change a 1984 VW GTI for an Evo VIII. That means the VW GTI is better? I dont think so. Just because you love your car after 10 years so much you wouldnt change it to a new one, that doesnt show anything else besides your love to your car. Which is nice, but has nothing to do with a subject. Which is really, what is probably a better choice for a guy, who are just about to buy an Evo, and he is looking for a best Evo which will suit him or her the best based on the plan or needs.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
there are people who wont change a 1984 VW GTI for an Evo VIII. That means the VW GTI is better? I dont think so. Just because you love your car after 10 years so much you wouldnt change it to a new one, that doesnt show anything else besides your love to your car. Which is nice, but has nothing to do with a subject. Which is really, what is probably a better choice for a guy, who are just about to buy an Evo, and he is looking for a best Evo which will suit him or her the best based on the plan or needs.
I agree with you here Rob for sure. My point was that most us older CT9A guys are not jealous or envious of the Evo X guys as he suggested. We could buy a new X tomorrow if that's what we wanted.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I agree with you here Rob for sure. My point was that most us older CT9A guys are not jealous or envious of the Evo X guys as he suggested. We could buy a new X tomorrow if that's what we wanted.
no argument there
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO 8- 9 is my favorite. I much prefer rally cars instead of automatic..
EVO X is nice but like a second car!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

It's not even close in my book. 9>8>X. For the simple fact that I have not once thought "oh I wish my car was heavier and automatic." I have NEVER envied a X. In fact, when I'm on the freeway and spot a X I try and not make him feel bad by blowing his doors off. Because after all, we both love Mitsubishi's.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by magnex265
EVO 8- 9 is my favorite. I much prefer rally cars instead of automatic..
EVO X is nice but like a second car!
so you drive a rally car?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hermin0000
It's not even close in my book. 9>8>X. For the simple fact that I have not once thought "oh I wish my car was heavier and automatic." I have NEVER envied a X. In fact, when I'm on the freeway and spot a X I try and not make him feel bad by blowing his doors off. Because after all, we both love Mitsubishi's.
if that is all your mods what you have in your signature in your 8, and you are with full weight, i would be cautious to make comments like this ... LOL
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drive an 8, and have the ix front bumper. I personally prefer the older generation evo's, even like the evo vi. They seem more of the true evo that has been designed and built for years on the same platform and motor. Also, my viii is more raw then the newer generation's which i like, because it makes me more involved while driving.

Electronics are "cool" to have, and thats were it ends for me. I'd rather drive a car that doesnt correct anything in a corner, and just be raw and let me take care of how it behaves.

I also prefer the looks of the older generation evo's more then the new X gen. I dont ever look at an X and think or say "that car is slow". That just isnt true. Stock for stock, its basically the same car. If i was to buy another evo on the other hand, it would definitely be anything from evo 2-9.

If i see and evo i-x driving, ill always wave/thumbs up.

dave
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:22 PM

I love my 8 and would never want to see her go away. By no mean are the 9 or X lesser cars. Ever one has their preference whether it be the way one looks compared to another or the diffence in the way one performs and feels for some one. At the end of the day we all love our evo's .
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

and looks like if sunday everything goes right (he has already aprox 6 minutes lead) the Evo X will be a year of the champion again, in 2012 in the Production World Rally Championship.
Other words :Grupe N.
http://www.wrc.com/news/pwrc-saturda...rol/?fid=17899

The X again is already a champion in the Canada, and second behind the factory Subaru team in the USA:
Here is his car:

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 11, 2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

i was just gonna post this

http://www.globaltimeattack.com/2012...rk-nov-7-2012/
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
That is what happens when you put a hill climber or rally driver a proper unlimited car.
Dave is a multiple hill climb champion and a great driver with a great and proven unlimited race car. You can call it one of the kind, without any problem
Well since its unlimited class, has little to nothing to do a close stock or medium modified cars.
Versus the production championship which regulated and scrutinized by FIA,
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
That is what happens when you put a hill climber or rally driver a proper unlimited car.
Dave is a multiple hill climb champion and a great driver with a great and proven unlimited race car. You can call it one of the kind, without any problem
Well since its unlimited class, has little to nothing to do a close stock or medium modified cars.
Versus the production championship which regulated and scrutinized by FIA,
they won every awd class, not just unlimited
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

there was any evo X there with a good driver, like Ryan Gates? I dont see any Evo X there

"We may not have known anything about the car, but we do know The Man. For some time now Ryan Gates has been crushing the US time attack scene. He looms larger than life within the Mitsubishi community because of his accomplishments behind the wheel of his iconic blue Evo X. Here are just a few of his notable exploits. In 2009 Ryan took home eight track records and won both the Super Lap Battle and the Redline Time Attack Modified Class Season Championship with an unprecedented 100 percent win rate. While 2010 was a rough year for Ryan, plagued with mechanical difficulties, he pushed on with the development of his AMS Performance 900X engine package. Last year saw more success with an extremely gear-limited 180.0mph pass at The Texas Mile, which was good enough to earn the title of world’s fastest Evo X. Ryan also showed up to our Global Time Attack at the Autobahn Country Club taking both the Limited AWD win and the class record with his 1:30.692 lap."

http://www.globaltimeattack.com/ryan...n-311rs-evo-x/

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 11, 2012 at 08:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX