Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Bought a 2006 Evo IX MR.. Now what???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Bought a 2006 Evo IX MR.. Now what???

hello to all evom peoples. names jeremy. i just bought an 06 mr edition in apex silver. it had 8k miles on it and looks to be in dealer condition still. its a great car. ive always wanted an evo and this just happened to come across at the right time so i couldnt let it go at the price i paid for it.

now for the goals i have. im looking for around 400awhp when im done. i want to keep it as close to the stock idle and ride as possible. it is still under warranty so i wont be doing anything crazy for a while due to the fact i want to keep it under warranty. basically be doing some track days and auto-x with it then drive it into work on monday morning.

when i bought the car it had a k&n drop in filter and some junk ebay cat back on it. i am keeping the drop in filter but losing the cat back as soon as possible. i have an hks hi power catback on my other prepped car and i love it. im looking to get one for the evo as well. is this a good exhaust for this car? if not i may pick up a fujitsubo from a friend of mine. which is a better cat back for this application? also what other recommendations can you guys make for the first time evo owner?? ill be coming here alot to ask questions and do research. i hate having other people work on my cars, but i know absolutely nothing about the workings of this car yet. so lets hear what you guys have to say....
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to keep your warranty, then you can only do so little.

I would contact the service dept. where you bought your car or where you are going to get serviced and ask them what you can and can't do. Tape the conversation too. Mitsu does not like to do any warranty work on EVO's.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have fun and enjoy it
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

search
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage
search
Come on, we can be a little nicer than that

"Run a search n00b" is what should be there

Absolutely just kidding!

Welcome to the club!

Eve-slow is right, if you want to keep your warranty you can only do a little amount to your car and getting it to 400whp w/out doing an impressive amount of work is going to be really tough.

Call your service dept or go in and become friendly w/ the service manager and feel them out. I for example went in while I was getting my oil changed and bantered w/ the SM and found out that I can basically do what I want to my car (save touching the CPU) just dont expect them to submit paperwork for warranty service on an aftermarket part.

Theres tons of good stuff on here, but you have to really be patient and sort through it b/c its been compiled for years.

Enjoy the car!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

If you do BPU (Turbo back exhaust, MBC/EBC, ECU reflash, Lower intercooler pipe, maybe even an intake) you will be right around 330whp depending on what dyno.

Good luck with your car and congrats!!!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for the weclome. when i said 400awhp goal that wasnt intended to be while the car is still under warranty. as far as i know i can do small mods to the car and still be good with the warranty.

case in point: while i had the car for the weekend and was test driving it i decided to take it to the manufacturer and get a dealer inspection to reveal any problems the car may have. they saw the drop in filter and junk cat back on the car and said nothing of it. i asked about manufacturer warranty and they seemed very nonchalant about it and said i would be good. so i assume from what they said, as long as i dont swap any major components or start flashing the ecu i should be ok. that being said my first mods will be a turbo back exhaust and probably a couple suspension mods like sway bars and an engine damper.

i have been reading on here about the hi power and i see the piping shrinks down to mate to the stock cat. probably wont be a problem with my ultimate goal. my biggest concern is sound because my wife will also be driving it and she says the ebay special on it now drives her nuts....