Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlins DFV vs Tein Super Racing

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohlins DFV vs Tein Super Racing

I have the Ohlins setup and have messed around a lot with the settings and honestly I'm not super impressed lately. I can still feel a decent amount of body roll and the car lets loose semi quickly. I used to love it, but IDK anymore. I even stiffened the front up 4 or 5 clicks from full stiff and the rear 2 from full stiff. The car still likes to feel like it's "pushing" I have an adjustable Perrin rear sway out back with Perrin endlinks and that's set on medium. Any tips too?

On BFG G force Rivals.

Would the Tein super racing be an upgrade, or downgrade?

Thanks

Last edited by DaveEvo91; May 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If these are the standard set-up from Ohlins (which is 10/7), the problem is the spring-rates, front to rear. Definitely try the rear swaybar on full stiff. I have no idea why Ohlins thinks we need so much more front spring than rear; my guess is that they designed the system to go with a huge rear bar and the OE front bar. They should come with a warning to that effect.

As to the idea of switching from Ohlins to Teins, let me address this with a rhetorical question: are you also considering switching from an Evo to a Prius?
Old May 30, 2013, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Well, it would be a downgrade from Ohlins to Tein... Like Iowa said, try adjusting the rear bar to the stiffest setting and set the coilovers to the middle setting. Drive the car around some and adjust settings accordingly.
Old May 30, 2013, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

The one downside to DFVs is that the adjuster alters compression and rebound in parallel. Much harder to "tune" for balance. Almost wish they were rebound only.

In any event, if the car is on-the-edge and pushing, soften the fronts, set the rear bar to full stiff, and then play with the rear settings (only) for a while. You set the rear to get the car to rotate without being loose, then set the front to turn in without too much push. At least, that's the order that I've always done it.
Old May 31, 2013, 07:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveEvo91
I have the Ohlins setup and have messed around a lot with the settings and honestly I'm not super impressed lately. I can still feel a decent amount of body roll and the car lets loose semi quickly. I used to love it, but IDK anymore. I even stiffened the front up 4 or 5 clicks from full stiff and the rear 2 from full stiff. The car still likes to feel like it's "pushing" I have an adjustable Perrin rear sway out back with Perrin endlinks and that's set on medium. Any tips too?

On BFG G force Rivals.

Would the Tein super racing be an upgrade, or downgrade?

Thanks
Are you using the standard Ohlins 10/7 spring rates?

- Andrew
Old May 31, 2013, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

And the Ohlins cost $3500? (shakes head)
Old Jun 1, 2013, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Spending 10% of the cost of the car on a set of coilovers is not atypical. In many circles, it's a bit low.

If you want a car that's slammed to the ground on $1000 coilovers, get a used Honda (like everyone else).
Old Jun 1, 2013, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Are you using the standard Ohlins 10/7 spring rates?

- Andrew
ditto what are the rates.. given that andrew/gtworx is asking, you didnt buy it from them - and that was probably a mistake
Old Jun 1, 2013, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Spending 10% of the cost of the car on a set of coilovers is not atypical. In many circles, it's a bit low.

If you want a car that's slammed to the ground on $1000 coilovers, get a used Honda (like everyone else).
Still extreme IMO. There are other coilovers that will perform equal, if not better than their DFWs for a 1/3rd of that price tag.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Whose springs are on them?
I have found out the hard way that good coilovers with crappy springs have just destroyed the joy I have in my car.
They're being upgraded right now with a set of custom Swift springs.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cpunlamd
Still extreme IMO. There are other coilovers that will perform equal, if not better than their DFWs for a 1/3rd of that price tag.
I'm curious to hear about $1200 coilovers that are equal to Ohlins.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STM Tuned
Whose springs are on them?
I have found out the hard way that good coilovers with crappy springs have just destroyed the joy I have in my car.
The problem with the default Ohlins set-up is not the quality of the springs; the problem is the rates. 10 front and 7 rear only works with a huge rear bar.

You need to think in terms of the corner weights and the motion ratios.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by cpunlamd
the draw of the ohlins is that not only is the performance very good, but the ride is amazing as well
Old Jun 1, 2013, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

At the risk of repeating myself (once too often): the key is that they are digressive in bump, unlike, for example, Teins (or 99% of all crap from Asia).
Old Jun 1, 2013, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
At the risk of repeating myself (once too often): the key is that they are digressive in bump, unlike, for example, Teins (or 99% of all crap from Asia).
Just remember where your whole car is from.

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV vs Tein Super Racing