Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How does the E-brake work?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ak47po
Read and learn brainiac.

Pull off the rotor, inspect your brake shoes. Check the minimum requirements and adjust it.

Mine grabs first click (albeit not a X).
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vetboss
I think that mitsu will only cover the ebrake for 12 months 12,500 miles. Then they will try to charge you for 1 hr labor for 10 minute adjustment.

Is'nt the rule of thumb to leave it in the gear that goes the direction that you dont want it to roll. IE - in first if you're facing down a hill, reverse if you are subject to roll backwards.''Don't forget to angle those tires!

I'm pretty sure your backwards. If your facing UP a hill then put it in 1ST and if you are facing DOWN the hill then REVERSE. I'm just saying but that is the logical thing to do.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cnj4ever
I'm pretty sure your backwards. If your facing UP a hill then put it in 1ST and if you are facing DOWN the hill then REVERSE. I'm just saying but that is the logical thing to do.
I'm thinking he was assuming to go with the flow
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what you do to park the car, when you're parked on a hill, turn your wheels towards the curb (to the right when facing downhill, left when facing uphill) so that if the car does roll, it rolls a few inches and the curb stops it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet...
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

If the ebrake in the evo functions like it does in most cars with drum brakes for the e-brake. All you need to do to is put it in reverse and get moving and hit the brakes a couple times as thats what causes the self-adjusters to function. But I am not sure about the Evo X, you may have a cable stretch problem and that will require getting under the car.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You sir are almost right. The e-brake does work by a cable, but it does not use the pistons on the rear caliper, it's a drum-in-disc sort of thing, where the e-brake uses actual brake shoes against a drum, that's how nearly every car is made.

Originally Posted by atombomb33
I'm not 100% positive this is exactly how it works on the Evo X, but this is how it works on nearly every car made today.

The ebrake works independent of the hydraulic braking system through your brake pedal. When you pull the ebrake handle, a set of cables are pulled which actuate the rear brake pistons to slightly grab the rear rotors. It's just enough to stop the car from rolling in most situations. That's about it.

So, the ebrake only slightly locks up the rear wheels. It doesn't do anything to the driveshaft or differentials...that's all transmission related.

Have you tried also leaving your car in gear in addition to the ebrake? That will help a little bit.

Have you had your ebrake checked out? It could be loose which is not allowing it to properly grip the rear brake rotors. You can do a quick check yourself. Pull up on the handle. You should hear between 4-6 clicks and it should get pretty tight. If it's not feeling tight, then there is some slack in the cable and it needs to be adjusted. I believe the owner's manual has a DIY how to adjust it. Or the dealership or any brake shop could do it for you.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
No matter what you do to park the car, when you're parked on a hill, turn your wheels towards the curb (to the right when facing downhill, left when facing uphill) so that if the car does roll, it rolls a few inches and the curb stops it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet...
+1

Personally I always leave the car in 3rd, but I don't think it matters much.

Also, it is almost definitely just a cable problem. One of the STis I test drove the cable was all sorts of messed up from the previous owner rallying the **** out of it. It would go to 6 clicks super easy like you said and barely hold the car. They fixed that, but there's no way I was buying the car
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Is there a cable adjustment or only the brake shoe slack adjuster? I have always been able to tighten the cable and get this fixed but i am not sure where the cable adjuster is on these new X's.

Last edited by fletch; Jan 15, 2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

They gotta be the same.......

You have to adjust the e brake by using the spindle located inside the rear disc. There is access through a rubber grommet that you remove either on the face of the disc ( Evo 8 and 9), then spin it till you can see the spindle at the bottom side of the disc.

Use a flat head screw driver and adjust to whre you want it. Mine is set to grab at the first click of the e brake.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

So no cable to adjust then?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

I really cannot say for sure as I drive an 8. But I can't see them changing that around on the X.

Pull off a rear wheel, and look for a little rubber grommet. Pull that grommet off and spin that inspection hole to the bottom. Grab a flash light and look inside. That little spindle with teeth on it is what adjusts the e brake.

I am unsure of what you mean by no cable adjustment.

If your e brake goes straight up when you pull it, this will solve that and will grab immediteley when you pull up on the e brake ( depending on how you adjust it)
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Grabbed this from another thread.... ( this is for the wrong chassis, but how much could have changed?)

this shows the adjustment for the e brake inside the cabin. I have only adjusted mine from the rear rotors and have never had an issue. This method would work as it would be faster and easier (questionable) just to get it tight again.

Sorry for any confusion I may have induced into this thread.

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
here ya go.

Old Jan 25, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Keep in mind, by design the e-brake works better from stopping the car from rolling backwards than stopping moving forward. Its only designed to stop a vehicle from 60mph in 155ft. brembo makes better pads if you need them.