Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

what do you need to program TPMS for 2nd set of wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you need to program TPMS for 2nd set of wheels?

What do you need to program TPMS for 2nd set of wheels?

If you had a second set of all season wheels and tires with a different set of tpms's, how do you switch back and forth without going to the dealer? expensive mitsu scanner or can you buy a laptop driven reader like the OBD-2 type software interfaces?

Is it more economical to just mount and dismount on the same set? Can you reprogram the number of the second set to be the same ID#? Is there a hack to eliminate tpms entirely to show good signals all the time? Just thinking out loud...

thanks,
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i asked my local discount tire for this and they said that if their machine work, its free of charge but if it doesnt then i would need to go to the dealership. i asked my dealership and they said its $106 per hour to reprogram.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

I just took the tpms sensors from the stock wheels and put them into my new wheels. I did not need to calibrate anything. I went from stock tire size to 265/35 with no problems, so I would think tire size should matter. Also, discount tire did it for me. They said it would take @ 5 minutes for the computer to adjust. And thats exactly what happened.

If you are going to swap back n forth between the new and old then you might want to get 2 sets of tpms sensors. But if not, then just switch them into the new wheels. But just keep in mind, tpms sensors are not cheap, I have seen them range from 200-400 for all four.

I have not seen a "hack" for the tpms sensors, you just have to live with it. Some people might not have them but they do get a warning screen everytime they start the car and they have to hold the info button down to clear it. (I would find that annoying after awhile).

As for 2 sets of tpms sensors having the same ID #, have no idea how that works. Cause say that you do have 2 sets of wheels. One is laying in the garage near your car and of course the other set is on the car. Both sets of wheels have tpms sensors in them linked to your car. You start the car up and let it warm up. While its sitting there, what would stop the computer from reading the set of wheels layiong in the garage instead of the ones on the car?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Here is the link for a tool that works. Its expensive, but it does the job. You could even make a few dollars doing other peoples cars too.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDW1479
... While its sitting there, what would stop the computer from reading the set of wheels laying in the garage instead of the ones on the car?
the system activates the set on the car only after the wheels spin for a while. Otherwise, if they never turned off, the battery would be dead in a years time. The set on the floor would be dormant. If discount is going to do it, maybe that would be the best way.

Thanks Mitsutech for that link. In time, as sensors batteries go kaput, I think people will get creative and bypass the system of figure on ways to just buy batteries and not the whole sensor assy.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mitsutech56
Here is the link for a tool that works. Its expensive, but it does the job. You could even make a few dollars doing other peoples cars too.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Hey Mitsutech56. I know that all Mits dealers were sent the Snap-On TPMS tool for essential tools, but we've had no luck with this tool to "wake up" any TPMS transmitters that were not done before delivery. The tool worked great for the odd vehicle that had lost its' program after driving. But as for the transmitters that were missed at the docks when arriving in North America (all GS Platform vehicles), the tool didn't work at all. Apparently, Snap-On had mis-informed the buyers at MMNA about the use of the tool? Have you had any experience with waking up any transmitters with it?
Edit: Apparently, the TPMS tools used at Chrysler dealerships will do the job. Can't recall the manufacturer of the tool though.

Last edited by jahnnybravo; Dec 24, 2008 at 07:05 PM.