Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to paint your rims with Plasti Dip in about an 1/12 hrs.

Old May 21, 2012, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am very tempted to test this out on my BBS MR rims....I just dont want to put all the work into them then they end up looking like crap and have to take time to take it all off. I just wish I could see these in person on some rims or at least better detailed/high res pics. Even with that being said I have 3 1/2 cans of plasti dip just looking at me in the garage....lol
Old May 21, 2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Never heard of someone coating their wheels with plastidip without taking them off the car, but if it worked for you and saved time for the results you wanted to each their own.
I found a video of someone doing this process with wheels installed, dont know why i would take them off just more time and hassle and i risk scratching the rim as i reinstall it, if you want to be extra careful you can use some masking tape and newapapaper and take it on the near fenders around the tire
Old May 21, 2012, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did my GSR wheels yesterday. Turned out great. I will post pictures in a day or so. The GSR Enkei wheels have so many spokes, it is a pain in the butt, however, the results are worth it. Did about 6 coats per wheel and covered the brakes using the garbage bag technique. The BBS wheels should be easier to do. Expect to use 3 cans to cover all 4 wheels thoroughly. I will post up some tips as well when I show the pictures.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost
[youtube]dDSetQUIn4M[/youtube] [youtube]ek1mRhEIbHA[/youtube]
that video explains it perfectly, i think i waited a little less between coats but like i said i was rushing it a little
Old May 21, 2012, 12:35 PM

Plasti-dip works great on rims. I did mine in May 2011 on my 08 gts, turned the car in to the dealership on march 31st, 2012. The plasti-dip hadn't started peeling. The dealership decided to keep it on, and the car sold a few weeks ago with it on. Lol. So 10 months they lasted me.

Here's how I did it: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/294049...-2#29404984026

It took me a lot longer than 1 1/2 hours.. I took the tires off. I think I might try leaving it on like you did for my rims on my RA

Oh yea, before using plasti-dip, I wiped the rims with this cloth thing that takes off every spec of dust / dirt. I forget what it's called, my dad has it.. The cleaner they are, the better the plasti-dip will stick and will last longer...

The good thing is, if you don't like it, you can peel it right off
Old May 21, 2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by cubandiaz
I am very tempted to test this out on my BBS MR rims....I just dont want to put all the work into them then they end up looking like crap and have to take time to take it all off. I just wish I could see these in person on some rims or at least better detailed/high res pics. Even with that being said I have 3 1/2 cans of plasti dip just looking at me in the garage....lol
i post some pics in a couple hours see if i can get some better close ups, I think they looks stellar, im very happy with the results, a got a couple friends who are gonna paint there own cars after they seen the results

Last edited by 4g63gringo; May 21, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:50 PM

here are some VERY detailed pics from a Canon EOS camera, I also plasti dip the vents on my CF hood:Name:  IMG_0051.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  54.3 KBName:  IMG_0059.jpg
Size:  82.8 KBName:  IMG_0036.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0039.jpg
Size:  49.4 KB
Old May 21, 2012, 03:04 PM

some more pics, mind you i painted these 4 days ago and i havent washed my car since: Name:  IMG_0057.jpg
Size:  69.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0048.jpg
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0051.jpg
Size:  54.3 KB
Old May 22, 2012, 07:13 AM

^^^^^^SWEET!!!!!! So it's done...will be doing it this weekend!!!
Old May 22, 2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by kissmeblind
Plasti-dip works great on rims. I did mine in May 2011 on my 08 gts, turned the car in to the dealership on march 31st, 2012. The plasti-dip hadn't started peeling. The dealership decided to keep it on, and the car sold a few weeks ago with it on. Lol. So 10 months they lasted me.

Here's how I did it: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/294049...-2#29404984026

It took me a lot longer than 1 1/2 hours.. I took the tires off. I think I might try leaving it on like you did for my rims on my RA

Oh yea, before using plasti-dip, I wiped the rims with this cloth thing that takes off every spec of dust / dirt. I forget what it's called, my dad has it.. The cleaner they are, the better the plasti-dip will stick and will last longer...

The good thing is, if you don't like it, you can peel it right off
very true what happened to me is some of the degreaser i used stayed in the lug nut holes so when i went to spray them, the plasti dip would bubble up and not stick at all so like you said make sure your rims are very clean
Old May 22, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Me likey
Old May 22, 2012, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Well Done! The wheels look good and have a nice uniform texture. Usually when people paint with plasti-dip there is a tendency to leave splotches. Good thing you can remove plasti-dip fairly easily.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cubandiaz
I did this on my BBS wheels, it comes out well and looks pretty good. If you want to brighten them up a bit the plastidip responds well to tire shine type cleaners (Found that out on accident when I was cleaning up the tires heh). It is,however, a bit of a pain to remove if you decide to unless you use a ton of plastidip and make sure the sides of the spokes are very well coated or else it will not come off easy. However goo gone will almost melt off the plastidip and make it easy to remove.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by deylag
Well Done! The wheels look good and have a nice uniform texture. Usually when people paint with plasti-dip there is a tendency to leave splotches. Good thing you can remove plasti-dip fairly easily.

I know i practiced on some cardboard first, but as along as you start to spray before you contact the rim surface"start on rubber of tire" then let off after you completely sprayed across the rim to the rubber on the other side, and many many light coatsl instead of 3 or 4 thick ones don't be in a hurry it dries very fast either way, and you might want to roll your car back/forward to make sure you evenly coated the entire surface
Old May 28, 2012, 07:17 PM

I plastidipped the wheels on my girlfriend's Jeep about a month ago and it's holding up well. I messed up on one of them so I rubbed gasoline on it and it melted it off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to paint your rims with Plasti Dip in about an 1/12 hrs.