Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Remove glove box rattle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How To: Remove glove box rattle

Sick of hearing that nasty plastic rattle to the right of you when you drive? I'm here to save your day. Being a professional installer such as myself, I've always wondered why mitsubishi didn't do what the other japanese auto makers were doing to counteract rattles/noises.

Step 1: Remove glove box. Open glove box, to the right of the glove box there is a piston that is snapped on to the glovebox itself, just pop that off towards the right. Then press the sides of the glovebox in a bit, enough to let the catches come out. Let it drop and then you can pull it out.

Step 2: Grab yourself some flexible self-adhesive felt. I got mine from JO-ANNS fabrics, but you can also get yourself some from any other place old ladies go to shop. Mine looks like this:

Name:  1-4.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  68.5 KB

There are several kinds of self-adhesive fabric, but you want the kind that is somewhat thin, and flexible. This brand here works very, very well for what we're doing.

Step 3: In case you haven't already realized, there are 4 points your glovebox rests on while it is SHUT. There are two catches (one on each side) that move in and out when you pull on the handle, and then there are the pivot points. These are the points that we are going to cover with felt, because some moron at mitsubishi decided it wasn't a good idea to spend an extra half of a cent to get rid of a rattle problem.

Name:  2-4.jpg
Size:  41.4 KB

This is the side catch. Cut it a little oversized and then put it on. Once it's on you can take a pair of very sharp cloth scissors and trim it to match the edge of the plastic exactly.

Name:  3-3.jpg
Size:  99.5 KB

In the above picture is one of the two pivot points you will also be covering with felt. I did a no-no and under-sized mine. You'll once again want to over-size it, put it on, then cut it to match the edges.

Once it's on give them a good rub to be sure of adhesion and you're all set! Put the glovebox in the exact opposite way you took it out. If you can't figure that out then maybe you shouldn't be driving at all.

You'll notice immediately it's a much tighter fit, which is good. This will dramatically reduce rattles from the glovebox, if not completely stop them like it did on mine. This technique works for all kinds of things in the car. Have a rattly dash? Just put felt on the white aligator clips and it goes away! This is what honda, nissan, and toyota all have from the factory and I never understood why mitsubishi doesn't do the same.

Good luck! I'll be here for any of your other installation needs.

Last edited by Noize; Sep 9, 2010 at 08:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jrsimon27 (Dec 5, 2020)
Old Aug 25, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this should be stickied since mostly everyone has this problem lol
Old Aug 25, 2010, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

omggg thank you!!! rattles have been annoying me alot lately lol, maybe the stress from school and lax haha
Old Aug 25, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you lancerarmstrong!

After looking at the pics you posted, i was applying felt at the wrong places. I'll give it a shot again this weekend, after i get some self-adhesive felt.

You da man!!!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:31 PM

I have to do this when I get home! Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

yo the man!!!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:39 PM

Finally!!!

One Down, 999 more to go...
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:18 PM

I finished this rattle, but the rear deck is driving me nuts.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jackal5555
I finished this rattle, but the rear deck is driving me nuts.
$15 bucks and a few hours of time.

Name:  4332bb7d.jpg
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  f3cacca4.jpg
Size:  107.1 KB

Also I found that the majority of the rear rattle comes from the passenger side part, its actually the small portion that hangs down located behind the rear seat. SEE PICTURE BELOW.

After carpeting the rear deck i used dynamat on the small portion that hangs down. i just had some left over from an installation i did a while back, i took small strips and put them where i noted the rattle would come from (simply hit the rear deck and listen for the rattle).
the picture below shows where my rattle came from.

Have had 0 problems since, previously i had a pair of pants laying on the rear deck (dont ask i think i meant ot take them to the cleaners but forgot) and a shirt wedged in between the rear deck and the rear window to eliminate the rattle.

edit.

Name:  5e38ca62-1.jpg
Size:  93.5 KB

Thats where my rattle was coming from especially with an aftermarket exhaust.

Last edited by lancer0220; Aug 25, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gotyaw? (Dec 13, 2017)
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:56 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Excellent post, thanks guys!

Any suggestions for door rattles?? Since it only happens at random times, I'm still not 100% sure where the door noise is coming from exactly. Putting pressure on the door skin and trim pieces doesn't seem to help, and the rattle sounds kinda like a "springy" sound coming from the area between the door handle and B pillar.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:20 AM

Nice Ill need to buy stock in this!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

More details on the felt material used please....
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CatalystGod
More details on the felt material used please....
?

http://www.createforless.com/Kunin+P...utm_medium=cse

I used actual automotive carpet (cheap got it for 8.00 at big lots lol) for the rear panel.

The felt he used for the glove box I have seen at my local fabric store, both hobby lobby and jo-ann fabrics had it, costs about 2-4 dollars for a few sheets, some places sell it by the sheet.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

The only rattle I have is the driver seatbelt pulley. It squeaks a bit. Any fix for that?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancer0220
?

http://www.createforless.com/Kunin+P...utm_medium=cse

I used actual automotive carpet (cheap got it for 8.00 at big lots lol) for the rear panel.

The felt he used for the glove box I have seen at my local fabric store, both hobby lobby and jo-ann fabrics had it, costs about 2-4 dollars for a few sheets, some places sell it by the sheet.
gracias.

Quick Reply: How To: Remove glove box rattle