Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Help battery completely dead doors wont open!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 03:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ The thread you are commenting to was from 2011.... But the issue lies in either bad FOB or mechanical issue in the door.
Old May 11, 2014, 08:09 AM

There is a key in the fob!!!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 06:55 PM

key

The key doesn't work if the Evo X battery dies. You have use a battery charger and tap onto the + lead and body ground underneath the car. This will work to unlock the evo x with keyless entry system.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
i dont get it so we cant use the actual key that came with the car to unlock the door if the battery dies?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
i dont get it so we cant use the actual key that came with the car to unlock the door if the battery dies?
Yes you can. That's what it's for, that and starting the car.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

If u lock yourself inside a car with no keys, how would you get out? Lol
Old Feb 11, 2015, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gqracer
If u lock yourself inside a car with no keys, how would you get out? Lol
Omg read the manual... lmfao!
Old Feb 15, 2015, 09:29 PM

The Truth

The car 100% is made to require the code from the key, and with a completely dead battery, there is nothing powering whatever unit within the car is made to receive the signal and will not open!

I have had this issue happen multiple times around when I first posted this last winter, which was also the first winter I owned the vehicle, and now again this winter. I live in Minnesota, so the winters can get harsh. My battery will go from 100% to 0% within 5 days if I do not drive the car (which is not that uncommon since I work less than a mile away.) If I only make trips nearby, that will keep the batter kicking an extra 1-5 days depending on frequency, and if I at least get out on the highway for 5-10 miles the car is just fine.

The fact is, however...someone thought it would be smart to design annoying locks on doors as annoying as having coded keys for starting cars without considering a situation where a battery can unexpectedly die due to lack of use.

Anyone skeptical, go ahead and open a door, press lock on the door with it still open, unhook your battery with your door still open and wait for all the lights to completely shut off indicating all juice is completely lost and test your key in the door. Not gonna work without a little drip of juice.

Another fun incident was the last time I had this happen (a week ago) I had a locksmith unlock the door for me, and he offered me a jump upon explaining my story. I said "no, I have a direct a/c charger now, I will be fine." Typically, I have used this to keep my battery charged up around my short trip schedule, but happen to forget about it for a while which caused my battery to once again completely deplete. With the doors now unlocked and open, I popped the hood and hooked up my charger. The car would start honking for a few seconds and then completely die, and the battery charger would disengage. (the car alarm was going off because of the locksmith releasing the lock from the inside and this fluctuation in energy being noticed by the charger triggered it to shut off to help insure there wasn't any sort of terrible battery issue)

I ended up having to unhook the battery from the car, charge it with my charger, then reconnect it to the car, so it had enough power to set off the alarm without draining the battery immediately so I could click lock on the remote to stop it (and of course have enough energy in the car to actually receive the command from the remote)

I do not know the basis behind the idea of all of this, but it is a fact that the car needs to have at least a little juice to unlock, even manually, and the car will also not even attempt to start without at least a 50% charge.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

I tried it when I left work. the key fob/smart key was on my desk and the emergency key that is inside the smartkey was removed and I used it to open the driver door. it is a mechanical operation. if yours is not operating like this then the mechanics must need repairs. i have photos of the drivers manual....
Help battery completely dead doors wont open!!!!-wp_20150216_004.jpg
Help battery completely dead doors wont open!!!!-wp_20150216_005.jpg
Help battery completely dead doors wont open!!!!-wp_20150216_006.jpg
Help battery completely dead doors wont open!!!!-wp_20150216_007.jpg
Help battery completely dead doors wont open!!!!-wp_20150216_008.jpg
...we get the idea.

Last edited by BlackHawk_Tsi; Feb 16, 2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
i think his scenerio was different though he said it was when the battery is dead. So in order for your test to be valid you would have to disconnect your battery then try it.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

I see your argument I was mislead because he said mentioned the "electrical signal". So leaving the Fob at my desk would duplicate this scenario. I'll disconnect the battery next time and leave the fan far away.

Also, I'll try with the door shut and door open. I think the linkage will not Unlock the door because the door is already open.

Last edited by BlackHawk_Tsi; Feb 17, 2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 09:53 PM

Any insights to this? I am having the same problem. Car battery is dead, doors are locked and the hard metal key inside the key FOB won't work. It seems like most people are having the same problem.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:15 PM

So would it be possible, in theory to just remove an exterior light fixture, or find a positive lighting wire and put a pos + lead to it, and then ground a negative lead, and then you would have power to open the car right?, well assuming you had the fob in hand I guess...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsubishikid
So would it be possible, in theory to just remove an exterior light fixture, or find a positive lighting wire and put a pos + lead to it, and then ground a negative lead, and then you would have power to open the car right?, well assuming you had the fob in hand I guess...
In theory the lights are powered through a relay. So I would guess no. But I see what you are going for.

here is my smart key emergency key working.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=video%2cmp4

Last edited by BlackHawk_Tsi; Mar 5, 2015 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added video
Old Jul 31, 2016, 05:01 PM

Had the same problem with my 09 Ralliart yesterday. Came home from vacation, dead battery, key doesn't open the drivers side door (the only place you can insert a key outside the car). Had to get a locksmith to open it for me, then I was able to charge the battery.

Luckily I was parked in front of my garage where I had access to my charger (and I could have jacked up the car and charged that way if necessary), but this is poor design by Mitsubishi, and that's saying it nicely.