Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell

Old Oct 11, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell

Alright to start off this install uses No splicing--No drilling of firewall--And people with big hands can do this

The unit ill be installing is a Defi White Racer Gauge Standalone Requires No Control Unit, purchase of this gauge comes with everything needed to finish this install

WARNING : DEFI UNIT COMES WITH A LONG WIRING HARNESS OTHER GAUGES MIGHT NOT BEABLE TO ACCOMPLISH THIS ROUTE BASED ON WIRING LENGTH

Now just about everything is explained in the pictures for ease.

First off open the cover under the ADC control panel and you'll see the fuses i used. Just take out the fuse, wire cut and expose some wire and tap into the fuse slot just by inserting the exposed wire into it then put the fuse back in.Unfortunately Ive had no luck with the front fuse box to create a switch illumination so it turns on by headlights. So either have it dimmed using the white wire, or if you want it brighter don't use the white wire at all
Name:  1-4.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  89.4 KB

Now in the same spot start taking off the trim, but first pull a section of the weather stripping off to make this easier don't worry it'll go right back on just remember how it was when you took it off as some of the flaps on the weather stripping belongs under the trim.First start with the hood latch trip and pull it til its somewhat lose then the door sill trim just pull it up it should release. Then as the pic shows what direction and where the holders are located.
Name:  2-4.jpg
Size:  97.8 KB
Name:  3-4.jpg
Size:  79.2 KB

Once that is set and done. Take a closer look by the carpet just about right where the latch and sill trim connect pull up the top carpet piece and you'll find a grommet piece. Pull it off then drill or poke a decent hole don't worry as the rubber will expand and close your holeCaution with this grommet as its much weaker then the fender wall grommets, Now leave that for now and we head to the fender wall.
Name:  4-2.jpg
Size:  85.8 KB

Now this isn't to hard just take off the tabs on the fender wall. a flathead usually does the trick. Pull it out a bit and take a peak in and you'll notice another black grommet. Pull that out drill a hole same thing will happen with expansion but you just take a pliers expand the hole run the wire through then let it expand back and it'll hold it nice and tight. Now run the wire through the grommet and give a good amount to reach your gauge.
Name:  5-1.jpg
Size:  83.7 KB
Run the wire through the hole til it reaches the other side and pull it out.
Name:  6.jpg
Size:  70.1 KB
Then should end up looking like this.
Name:  7.jpg
Size:  64.8 KB
Now for the last part this is how i did it keeping the fender wall open. take the other side of the sensor wire and route it up the fender and up-to the hinge right by the hood. Then get up there and route again in the fender til you reach in-front of the fuse box. Then again just route it under that last piece and should look like this.
Name:  8-1.jpg
Size:  80.2 KB
Cut the vac tube about right in the middle then use the T Joint with the horizontal fittings reconnect the hose back then use the last fitting thats perpendicular facing attach to the vac tube going to the sensor, Also i prob would get some clamps or zip-tie to hold it just because, although Defis T Joints are Expanded at the tips to hold the tube pretty damn good its already pretty tight, but you just spent $35k whats a dollar or two.
End engine result and i just put the sensor in-between to keep it there til i find a good place to mount it.
Name:  Dir1.jpg
Size:  97.0 KB
*Updated My Location For Sensor w/ red ziptie (camlight made it orange bleh)*

End result. This pic shows with white wire not used. As you can see its pretty bright, compared to the gauge cluster
Name:  Picture006.jpg
Size:  27.0 KB
Name:  Picture008.jpg
Size:  48.1 KB
This pic shows with white wire used. For some reason the camera registers this as blue color It is not blue at all trust me, just a camera reaction to dimmed colors
Name:  024-1.jpg
Size:  40.4 KB

Movie clip with white wire not used.

Movie clip with white wire used. Its not blue the camera just for some reasons turns the color blue as it cannot register the color when its dimmed

Enjoy

Last edited by ZWingerRyRy; Apr 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Reloading Pics
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Nice work, now I can install my boost gauge, how did you mount it on the steering column?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:09 PM

that was way to much work man
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure what your saying is to much work. Install was quick, taking pictures and writing all that up took forever, but im nice like that.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Change that i used Loctite Power Grab 6lb holding tape, cut it in pieces to make the Defi podstand points. Worked very nice tape wasnt bulky like some peoples tape they used this is also clear tape. So no sight of the tape usder the pod holds really nice i tried moving it with a lil force and drove around bumpy areas no movement at all. This tape is resistant to all weather conditions.

Last edited by ZWingerRyRy; Oct 11, 2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Worked
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i think what he was saying was that some have installed the boost gauge without having to remove those interior pieces.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Ah, well ive just searched most DIY forums on this and not many had very clean routes, either involved going through the firewall, vents, or just wires hanging out, and etc.. The trim pieces are pretty cheapy stuff they just pop right off and the whole install i could do in 10 mins at most. It also works for both sides of the car. Just was offering some clean installs.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:01 PM

i just ran a very small wire from the boost controller through the stearing wheel well to the light switch with a clamp connector
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:03 PM

plastic clips?

Originally Posted by beetle_orange
i think what he was saying was that some have installed the boost gauge without having to remove those interior pieces.
those plastic clips are fragile, too.
i had to use restraint to pull mine off without damaging them.
in all, the install went well.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:04 PM

im not downing you or anything it just seems like you went the long route on this, i brought my boost tube right through that rubber grommet behind the steering wheel, small puncture self sealing no mess or anything very clean and a straight line from the t,lol

Last edited by RREvoX08; Oct 11, 2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks so much for doing this writeup! I been wanting to do it but this way doesn't seem so bad!
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RREvoX08
im not downing you or anything it just seems like you went the long route on this, i brought my boost tube right through that rubber grommet behind the steering wheel, small puncture self sealing no mess or anything very clean and a straight line from the t,lol
Ah this is a standalone, boost tube is ran from sensor in engine. This write up its power wires to fuse, the sensor wire from gauge to sensor box in engine, then boost from sensor box to boost tap in. No boost tube has to be run from inside the car to the engine with Defi standalones. Yeah i saw the steering wheel route but i rather puncture a cheap hidden grommet then a steering wheel's grommet
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:48 PM

alas, i didnt realize it was a defi stand alone, my apologies good sir..
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ashyking
those plastic clips are fragile, too.
i had to use restraint to pull mine off without damaging them.
in all, the install went well.
which plastic clips? inside the fender wall or the trim?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RREvoX08
alas, i didnt realize it was a defi stand alone, my apologies good sir..
excuse the ignorance but arent there just mechanical and electrical boost gauge? what is this standalone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell