Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to Install a Front License Plate without drilling the Bumper

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You

raytrix I wanted to thank you for posting this. Before I saw this thread, I wasnt sure what I was going to do about my front plate. I bought the same supplies as you. Only used the 2 ties around the middle part, nothing to the metal grill. The weather stripping makes the plate holder almost stick to the crossbar, and once I had the ties tightened down, that pate is obviously not going anywhere. Feels very sturdy. As was said though, I wonder how the ties will hold up to weather. I'll just be sure to periodically check it. Once again, thanks a lot.

Heres some pics of what I did:

back of plate w/ stripping
Name:  img_0452.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  122.3 KB

installed
Name:  img_0463_fixed.jpg
Size:  103.6 KB
Name:  img_0465_fixed.jpg
Size:  85.2 KB
Old Aug 17, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

I just did mine today with zip ties and weather stripping. I just put two srips on the back of the plate where the screws would stick out so they dont rub against the bumper. Used 4 doubled up zip ties and it feels really sturdy. Im sure after a while baking in the hot sun the weather stripping will melt a slight bit and stick to the bumper helping hold it in place. I plan on checking it every other month or so to make sure the zipties are still holding up. Maybe switch them out for some fresh new ones.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by malves85
I just did mine today with zip ties and weather stripping. I just put two srips on the back of the plate where the screws would stick out so they dont rub against the bumper. Used 4 doubled up zip ties and it feels really sturdy. Im sure after a while baking in the hot sun the weather stripping will melt a slight bit and stick to the bumper helping hold it in place. I plan on checking it every other month or so to make sure the zipties are still holding up. Maybe switch them out for some fresh new ones.
Good idea, your making me regret i didnt use 4 instead of 2 haha. O well, it seems really sturdy for now.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have mine installed for about 2 months so far and it's been thru lots of Chicago weather here and I believe nothing has happen so far. The baking of the sun won't affect the tie straps much because they are behind the license plate and due to the shiny surface and the white colored nature of the license plate, about 70% of the sun ray is reflected back to the air. So basically the license plate is acting as a cooler for the tie straps in a way by not radiating a lot of heat under it.

On a side note for those that brought very thin Weather strips and are having a hard time installing the top 2 screws because they are too long and grinding into the bumper, the solution to that is use tie straps LOL. I had to do that one mine. I'll show you a pic soon when i got the time.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

installed mine today, looks great. thanks a lot!
Old Oct 28, 2008, 02:45 AM

Just to chime in, did some of the evo x models not come with front licence plate mounts. reason being my ww x had a front plate mount on the driver side from the factory.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Miles08WWSSSX
Just to chime in, did some of the evo x models not come with front licence plate mounts. reason being my ww x had a front plate mount on the driver side from the factory.
Your dealership put that on. I insisted they did not touch my front bumper. The factory doesnt install them because not all states require a front plate.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 05:31 AM

Yeah utah sucks like that
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:23 PM

I don't think I could bear to block an intercooler lie that. I get flack everyday driving onto mil base, but I'm holding out as long as I can. Good idea though.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 192raptor
I don't think I could bear to block an intercooler lie that. I get flack everyday driving onto mil base, but I'm holding out as long as I can. Good idea though.
It only blocks a part of the front splitter.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

they see those "show n go" plate relocation kits that mount underneath bumper and can be flipped down when you dont want your plate to show

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...14b334d3fbeae7
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

anyone think of using metal ties or a similar product so you dont have to worry about the ties falling off?

Personally I like the solution of just taking the tickets, front plates are so ugly!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

I have some cheap plastic zip ties i got in a bag of 100 for only a few bucks. Put the plate on in August and havent touched it since. Its been holding on well and is still sturdy. I like the plastic ties better then metal because you can cut them off easily. If you show your car it takes 2min to remove and just keep a few extra ties in the trunk to put it back on. I think its much better then drilling or blocking the intercooler. I would be scared of that show n go thing either hitting a speed bump and falling off or forgetting to put it back up and getting a ticket.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 04:34 PM

i'm attempt to install the plate through the tow hook hole and see how it looks.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:43 AM

I find this thread so funny because over here in Aus so many people strive to relocate their centre nosemounted plate to the side!

Quick Reply: How to Install a Front License Plate without drilling the Bumper