Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

HOW TO: Install factory Navigation into a NON-NAV Evo 10

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOW TO: Install factory Navigation into a NON-NAV Evo 10

HOW TO INSTALL FACTORY NAVIGATION UNIT INTO NON-NAV EVO 10
(part 1 of three)

Please note that any work you do on your own may void your warranty so do so at your own risk and only if you know what you're doing!

Level of diffilculty from 1-10 (1 being easy): 3

PARTS NEEDED:
NAVIGATION INSTALL KIT Part # MZ360180EX or MZ360192EX (same part) Comes with everything you see in the first picture.

NAVIGATION UNIT Part # MZ360141EX OR MZ360151EX (same part)

TOOLS NEEDED:
PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER (yes, thats it!)

STEPS:
1) Remove the negative terminal from the battery in the trunk

2) Remove glovebox by squeezing the sides towards each other. As the glovebox starts to drop down, take note to the right side of it, there is an airshock attached to it.
Remove that by pulling towards the drivers side. Now the entire glovebox should drop down on its hinge. Pull towards you to remove.

3) Remove 1 phillips screw and pull the outermost trim off to expose yet another phillips screw

4) Remove that 1 phillips screw that holds the dash trim in place.

5) Start pulling on the dash trim carefully (but with good force) starting from the right (passenger side) and working your way towards the center of the dash.

6) With the trim removed, you should now see the radio bezel along with the hazard lights, etc... (you do not need to remove the hazard switch since the install kit comes with a new switch.)

7) Carefully start pulling on the radio bezel from the lower corners and working your way up. The bezel is only held in by clips as well.... Be careful not to scratch your dash as you get closer to the top.

8) With bezel free from the dash, unclip the harness from the hazard switch and completely remove.
Now, you should be able to see the double din head unit thats hidden behind the pretty dash bezel. (it is held by 4 phillips screws).

* Notice the "unused" Harness held up by blue electrical tape... You will need to free this harness to plug into the back of the nav unit

9) Remove the 4 phillips screws and pull the double-din unit towards you exposing the 2 harnesses plugged into the back along with the antenna wire. Go ahead, unclip those and take out the radio

10) Now its time to install the new Nav unit! From the install kit, the first thing we will need to install is the GPS antenna. It is mounted inside the dash on the top. Look at the bracket and look
at inside the void. It is held by two screws (also included in the install kit)

11) At this point, you want to begin to assemble the Nav unit with the remnants of the install kit. Take the nav unit and mount it to the metal bracket that comes with the kit using 4 metric screws (re-used from the original radio

12) attach the harness that comes with the kit to the metal bracket.

13) Look inside, there should be a harness that is unused taped with blue tape. Take that out. That will be the third harness you need for the nav unit

-----OPTIONAL STEP----------

(At this point, its up to you if you want to install a backup camera. I did it because I only wanted to take apart my dash ONCE... and figured, why not? See below for optional steps for the rearview camera)

----END OPTIONAL STEP-------

14) Plug the three harnesses to the harness from the install kit (its idiot proof so the harnesses will match up)

15) Plug the GPS harness to the nav unit

16) Plug the radio antenna plug to the nav unit

17) Carefully position the nav unit into the dash and mount with 4 screws (provided)

18) Locate the new double-din bezel that comes with the install kit, PLUG the hazard switch and then carefully snap it into the dash.

19) Now, re-assemble the dash using the steps in reverse from steps 7 through 1

20) Reconnect the negative to the battery, and voila! Install should be complete!

21) Make an appt with your local dealer to program the nav unit with their MUT-III scantool. (Should be at the max, 1hrs labor.... or free if you have a nice dealer)

OPTIONAL: REAR BACKUP CAMERA
I decided to use the Pioneer universal back-up camera ND-BC2. I got it new on Ebay for $150 or so....

to be continued.... stay tuned!!!

Last edited by antics22; Feb 11, 2008 at 08:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DivineXtacy (Feb 21, 2018)
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tv tuner

can you also hook up a tv tuner?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

very nice, how much did you end up paying? I may do this.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:41 AM

Would you mind touching on the nifty features on the navi unit? Would you have an screen shots of the navi menus.

Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

What SW and MAP versions are coming installed on these units?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Can you please let us know how much? If you don't want to say on the thread, just pm me and let me know, please.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Does the backup cam activate on putting car into reverse?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

PM me how much to do this PLEASE.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, sorry I havent checked this thread.... Heres some answers to your questions regarding cost:

If you decide you want NAV in your X, its going to be CHEAPER if you get it from the FACTORY. If you are impatient like me and bought the X without it, you can add it afterwards on your own.

The NAV unit itself retails for $1999 from the dealer. The Install kit retails for $450.

Those are the only two things you will need.
Shop around though, because for example, I found the install kit for $350 brand new online, and I happened to find the nav unit for $700 on Ebay....

If you want a new nav system, the cheapest I found brand new was for $1699... or just get that $2150 deal on Ebay. Both of those are decent prices because if you get the DEALER to add it to the deal, they will charge you closer to $2500...

good luck, feel free to ask me any other questions.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Good write up bro!
Old Feb 21, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

it will come in handy once some people decide to get rid of their nav systems to put in decks and gauges
Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Is the Pioneer ND-BC2 camera plug-and-play? If not, how many wires did you have to splice into? Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by antics22
Hey guys, sorry I havent checked this thread.... Heres some answers to your questions regarding cost:

If you decide you want NAV in your X, its going to be CHEAPER if you get it from the FACTORY. If you are impatient like me and bought the X without it, you can add it afterwards on your own.

The NAV unit itself retails for $1999 from the dealer. The Install kit retails for $450.

Those are the only two things you will need.
Shop around though, because for example, I found the install kit for $350 brand new online, and I happened to find the nav unit for $700 on Ebay....

If you want a new nav system, the cheapest I found brand new was for $1699... or just get that $2150 deal on Ebay. Both of those are decent prices because if you get the DEALER to add it to the deal, they will charge you closer to $2500...

good luck, feel free to ask me any other questions.
Where'd you find it on ebay? Link?
Awesome write up.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluewaterDEMON
Is the Pioneer ND-BC2 camera plug-and-play? If not, how many wires did you have to splice into? Thanks!
The backup cam has 4 connections that need spliced/connected. I just installed mine yesterday. Very easy install.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:27 PM

Expensive, but its worth it

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Install factory Navigation into a NON-NAV Evo 10