Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Any damage appraisers out there?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any damage appraisers out there?

It's been like 10 years since I worked in insurance so I forget. Does the estimate to fix have to be 75% ACV of the car before they would total it?

I know it may change a little from state to state or insurance company to insurance company. I'm in Cali.

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:18 PM

I'm not an appraiser, but a Claims Rep(In the office), but for cali, I believe the law states " If the vehicle is not economical to repair, the insurer must total the vehicle . So if the the estimated damages to repair the vehicle + Pro quote(What the salvage vender pays for the vehicle)exceeds the actual cash value of the vehicle, the insure will total. If you're curious about the actual cash value, use NADA, not KBB. Your insurance company may use a company call autosource to determine the value of the vehicle. Autosource pulls data from NADA, Craigslist and dealer prices within your vicinity
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Uscbryan
It's been like 10 years since I worked in insurance so I forget. Does the estimate to fix have to be 75% ACV of the car before they would total it?

I know it may change a little from state to state or insurance company to insurance company. I'm in Cali.

Thanks
Holy **** what happened? It's something like 75% iirc (it's Suren from the other site)
Old Apr 21, 2014, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Just a little mishap in the canyons where a tree jumped out in front of me to stop me from going over the cliff.

Body shop said it won't be a total. I didn't think so, was just getting scared. I don't want it to be. She will be better than new in a week or two. Might even have the fq400 hood she has been wanting.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:04 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

fffffffffuuuuu

that sucks.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

It happens. If it didn't it wouldn't be as much fun.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:28 AM

sledgehammers work well to add that extra effect to total a vehicle out if that's what your looking to do.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:57 AM

Too general of a question. For example State Farm is 60%. Every company is different.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

IMO, if it has that kind of damage it will never be straight.

I'd push to get it totaled.
If it's borderline, you don't want the hassle.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Why do people think that? I heard that all the time when I did estimates. Insurance pays to make you whole. If the shop doesn't return it back to original condition you send it back until they do. The problem is, and why it would be a ***** owning a body shop, is most people don't pay much attention to their car in everyday driving. Then they crash them, take them to a shop and when they get them back they are hyper sensitive. They inspect every inch of the car and find dmg that has been there that they never noticed and they blame the shop. They listen more closely to the car and hear things that have been there and blame it on the accident. They drive it and it may have been pulling a little long before the accident and they just got use to it, all of a sudden they are driving no hands to see if it pulls and it does a little and they claim it's from the accident even if the accident was a 10mph hit to the rear. And these are people that never cared for their cars. You can tell by the condition they came in. Complete messes inside. Scratches, faded paint etc.

It can be repaired. People build cars, people can repair them. There is no floor dmg. Cars don't have frames anymore. Just trucks. The dmg didn't go past the rocker. They weld a new rocker on, replacd both doors fender front and rear bumpers and a little repair to the qtr pnl and it's fine. They are replacing the hood so I'm getting the fq400 hood.

Even if there was a frame there are tolerances and they can pull frames. The front and rear dmg is just the bumper. Torn tabs they replace the whole thing.

Appraiser just called. Said 11k but may go up a little with supplements. He says unfortunately since my rims are aftermarket they can't pay to replace them so he have me 250 each for front a rear to help. They are XXR 527. Lol. They don't need replaced. Just a little chip in them.

They are paying for alignment. If control arms bent they will write a supplement to pay for them. But the car was driving perfectly straight after the accident.

If it totaled it would pay the finance company off. I would have to get a new down payment and lose all the parts I put in it. Plus it's been a great car. 55k miles and has never had a problem. Stock clutch still holding up with 400hp 370tq. I take a chance getting one that's not as reliable if they to totaled it. Besides it's MY car. I'm not just going to give her up over some cosmetic damage.

Only thing that sucks is u have to drive this POS 2013 Altima for the next 3 weeks. Makes me appreciate my baby more though.

Last edited by Uscbryan; Apr 22, 2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 09:56 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks
80% usually
Old Apr 23, 2014, 09:58 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Why do people think that? I heard that all the time when I did estimates. Insurance pays to make you whole.

YES!!! I can tell you were in the business (I'm still in it)
I fought Progressive for 103 days on a claim for my Honda, and after two bodyshops messed it up, got it totalled. They kept trying to give it back to me, saying it looks good.

I said "no, I can tell that it's been in a wreck. Before it happened, I could not. So, I have not been made whole. I started with a car that did not appear repaired, and you're giving me a car that appears repaired. No."

I wish everyone understood that insurance is a TWO WAY contract.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

I have always had good results with insurance. I have usually made out a little better. But all in all they aren't all looking to declined you. When I trained for progressive they stated over and over "find a way to cover the loss" they didn't go at it looking for a way to decline coverage. They wanted us to find anyway possible within the policy to cover people.

Originally Posted by ikt
YES!!! I can tell you were in the business (I'm still in it)
I fought Progressive for 103 days on a claim for my Honda, and after two bodyshops messed it up, got it totalled. They kept trying to give it back to me, saying it looks good.

I said "no, I can tell that it's been in a wreck. Before it happened, I could not. So, I have not been made whole. I started with a car that did not appear repaired, and you're giving me a car that appears repaired. No."

I wish everyone understood that insurance is a TWO WAY contract.