Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MITSUBISHI pulling out from the US market ???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MITSUBISHI pulling out from the US market ???

Read from MSN news and aired on CNN that Mitsubishi motors predicted to pull out from US market like Suzuki did last year!
Old Dec 9, 2013, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Short answer: No.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tritek.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/fu...losing-us.html
Old Dec 9, 2013, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
See ya!!
Old Dec 9, 2013, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bikerbud76
Read from MSN news and aired on CNN that Mitsubishi motors predicted to pull out from US market like Suzuki did last year!

This is old news, and a old rumor.

In 2003 Mitsubishi divorced Chrysler and left Diamond Star Motors behind. Then end of DSM left Mitsubishi with substantial debt. This debts has left the company in the "not profitable" category for several years.

This lack of profitability was furthered by Denny Hecker. If you're not from Minnesota, you've never heard of him. But he's now in jail for a number of things. One of the shade ball things he once pulled involved Mitsubishi Motors North America. MMNA had several millions of dollars in lease returned cars. Hecker had several million dollars in adverting spots. They struck a deal and traded, cars for advertising. What someone at MMNA failed to realize or ask is that they advertising spots they had just traded were all in the middle of the night. So for year Mitsubishi's entire advertising budget was spend advertising to insomniacs.

However, is 2012 Mitsubishi deliberately discontinued the Endeavor, Gallant, and Eclipse. All vehicles that were made in their Normal, IL plant. They invested 100 million dollars in to the plant to make way for its new flag ship car, the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, or RVR as it's called in other markets.

As of this year, Mitsubishi has paid off it's remaining debts from the DSM era, and predicts that it will be profitable for the first time in 7 years.

Furthermore, they have several cars in development. And, they recently shook hands with Renault and will be bringing two sedans to the US made by the French auto maker, and selling them under the Mitsu badge.

As for Suzuki, they left the North American market due in part to supply. American Suzuki Motor Company (ASMC) was merely a distributor of Suzuki cars, not the manufacturer. ASMC was receiving "left over" cars from European and Asian markets. This makes it really hard to get the colors and options that your customers want. I work for a dealers that used to be a Suzuki dealer. When someone wanted a Kizashi with X, Y and Z options in a certain color that we didn't already have, the response was "Well, might be able to find you one. If we can't, would _____ do?" With Mitsubishi the WORST case is we our regional rep and say "Hey Damian, we need X, Y, Z, car. Please order it for us in our next cycle." 3-4 months later it shows up.

Suzuki the parents company, and manufacturer was rumored looking in to buying a plant here in the US so that it could meet market demands. When Suzuki announced that it would not be purchasing a US plant, ASMC folded.

Last edited by TrogdorWBL; Dec 9, 2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 09:12 AM

^ 2 new sedans? I think Mitsu just needs to stay on top of it, the lancer should've been updated by now to stay relevant.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrogdorWBL
MMNA had several millions of dollars in lease returned cars. Hecker had several million dollars in adverting spots. They struck a deal and traded, cars for advertising. What someone at MMNA failed to realize or ask is that they advertising spots they had just traded were all in the middle of the night. So for year Mitsubishi's entire advertising budget was spend advertising to insomniacs.
This is amazing

Got Due Diligence?

Last edited by CAD EVO; Dec 9, 2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Maj3st1k
^ 2 new sedans? I think Mitsu just needs to stay on top of it, the lancer should've been updated by now to stay relevant.
Typical life span of a car is 6-7 years. The new Lancer came out in model year 2007. We're now in model year 2014. So yes, it's time for an update. But this isn't an unusual amount of time for a car to say the same.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 01:19 PM

I know they closed down their R&D department in Cypress, CA. But they moved a lot of their equipment to their facility in Michigan.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I can care less if Mitsu stays or goes. After purchasing my 5th new Mitsu, they lost me as a customer over $500 bucks. They have to have a seriously nice line up or a significant discount for me to buy a Mitsu ever again. And from what I see, I seriously doubt that will happen. If Mitsu does pull out this market, they have their own self to blame.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

So you can care less how much less can you care?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
it used to drive me up the wall when people use idioms improperly. I couldn't care less anymore
Old Dec 9, 2013, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Already posted here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/fu...l#post11047125