Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

SST Throttle Lag - Definitive Answer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST Throttle Lag - Definitive Answer

So what's the definitive answer for getting off the line faster? I just got my X MR, and almost got rear-ended because the my car took too long to get going! I know I'm not going to have instant torque liketheCamaro I just traded in, but I want it to use the torque it does have.

so is the answer a "throttle controller", tcu flash, ecu flash, launch control sequence at every stop sign, ???
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:34 AM

When the car is cold is can be a little rough on the throttle, but as soon as it's warmed up it's faster than a GSR off the line.

Have you had a turbo car before? Do you know about turbo lag?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:38 AM

What i do is leave some room to the car in front of me and anticipate the light, let go of the brake right before the light turns green so the clutch will engage before i get on the gas. But you can look in the SST section of the forums, there's a whole thread on tuning the SST table and stuff.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Have your tuner remove the 1st gear throttle limit.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Leezon
When the car is cold is can be a little rough on the throttle, but as soon as it's warmed up it's faster than a GSR off the line.

Have you had a turbo car before? Do you know about turbo lag?
Yessir. Very first car was a Volvo turbo coupe (turbo brick - 4-speed w/ push-button overdrive). Also had a turbo Eclipse that I would drag all the time, as well as an Evo VIII that I would do track days & auto-x with (and a little drag racing, but that got boring).

With the SST I just can't adjust my launches to suit what I'm about to do, and I'm not going to take the time to set up a launch sequence (not to mention it costs $12K to fix the transmission!) So I'm hoping there is a better way I love everything about the SST except for getting off the line from a stop.

I even tried power braking but it didn't help. There is a stop sign on my way to work that has basically no merge lane, and people are doing 50mph+ trying to get to work pretty much bumper-to-bumper, so I have to get moving in a hurry. My Evo VIII had absolutely no problem with this. My Camaro was more difficult because it had no traction. And this one, let's just say it scared the crap out of me the first time I was expecting it to go and it didn't. And the guy behind me was none too happy either.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by EvoForumUser12
Have your tuner remove the 1st gear throttle limit.
Do the '13's have that? I thought they didn't. If they do I'm gonna do that, thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by punk3r
What i do is leave some room to the car in front of me and anticipate the light, let go of the brake right before the light turns green so the clutch will engage before i get on the gas. But you can look in the SST section of the forums, there's a whole thread on tuning the SST table and stuff.
Is the SST table in the ECU or TCU? Sorry but I haven't been following the X as closely as I should have been all these years!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by ClockwerkOrange
Is the SST table in the ECU or TCU? Sorry but I haven't been following the X as closely as I should have been all these years!
I believe it's in the TCU. I haven't really mess with it myself. I never had a problem with getting off the line, like Leezon said, once the SST warms up it response pretty smooth and quick. Before i had my car tuned it did have a lot of turbo lag off the line though, that might be what you are feeling. just a thought
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:40 AM

I just read your other thread and you had other turbo cars so you know what turbo lag feels like so nvm haha turbo lag might not be your problem then. But after a tune my car did feel a lot lighter and quicker off the line.

here you go: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...nt-thread.html

i could be wrong with the file being in the TCU. give that thread a read, should answer most of your questions. hope that helps bud

Last edited by punk3r; Apr 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:43 AM

alright cool! I think I'll give English Racing a call. if it's tunable, Lucas can tune it!

thanks!
Old May 2, 2013, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ClockwerkOrange
alright cool! I think I'll give English Racing a call. if it's tunable, Lucas can tune it!

thanks!
The information about this 1st gear limit is on the other forum. Google "evo x sst 1st gear throttle limit found" and you should see the link.