Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need advice Mitsu is denying warranty

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a different a 15 minute drive makes!! So i went into Dixie Mitsubishi and talked to the Sr Service advisor.

I explained to him that i purchased my car 2 months ago and that my timing chain appears to have stretched. I then went on to say that unfortunately i do not have any service records as i bought the car used. He said that its tough without records but i would need to bring the car in. He would try to leverage the 3rd party warranty if he needed to.

I then went on to ask him about any mods. I told him that my car had an exhaust and Erin mills said that it had void my warranty. He told me that was not the case and some dealerships are extreme regarding that. He said i could even install an intake if i want. He has serviced lots of cars with bolt ons. Now with that being said if you are having an issue and you pull in with a cold air intake he will advise you to take the part off and put on the oem part and see if you still experience the same issue. If so then he will fix it. If the part is totally unrelated like your transmission is giving you trouble he will not point to your intake.

He told me that exhaust or cat have nothing to do with a timing chain so that wouldnt even be reported to Mitsu head office.

Well while we were there he went to check my vin to see if i had any outstanding recalls. When he pulled up my vin there was a big flag alert that came up. It was posted by Erin Mills Mitsu and stated that i had no cat and that i had an aftermarket intake installed. WTF? I had a highflow cat and I had the OEM intake on. Not sure why they are going out of their way to stick it to me but I will be sure to NEVER as much as buy parts from Erin Mills and hope that some of you can learn from my experience there and do the same.

I also called Markham mitsu and told them I have an ultimate racing exhaust and cat and Erin mills denied me. They told me they have a UR exhaust hanging on the wall to show customers options but they no longer sell them.

So the lesson here is make sure you pick a dealer that will not stand off right from the get go. For all you lightly modded cars out there now you know NEVER take your car to Erin Mills. Drive 10 mins north, hit the 401 and go east to Dixie Mitsu.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealerships in my area are pretty much that way also. They will say anything at the point of sale. After that sale occurs they do a 180 on you and treat you like ****. I have really grown to hate the dealerships around me. I pray I never have to go through warranty work again. The less I have to deal with Mitsu (and their reps) the better.

Keep us updated. If I was you I would escalate to Mitsu how that dealership is being. It might not help anything. But it will be an annoyance to them as they will then have to deal with Mitsu calling to find out whats going on. Speak with that dealerships GM as well so you can say you gave the GM a chance to take care of the issue. And then use whatever consumer protection agencies that are available to you. Its cool. Let that dealership be the way they are. But become an annoyance and thorn in their side. And then light them up on the net with whatever dealer review sites you can find. Screw dealerships like that.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:47 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TrogdorWBL
First off the warranty on Evos and Ralliarts is only 3/36, 5/60. And the 5/60 isn't transferable anyway. So, this one is going to be up to your third party warranty that you wisely purchased.
The 5/60 actually is transferable. Says it right in the manual. It wasn't transferable on the CT9A, but is on the CZ4A
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by leo_99
Thanks Ken. I got the same feeling. They were telling me no long before they got to the exhaust. They tried to tell me at first that it was a regular wear item similar to a clutch so therefore it was not covered. I simply replied show me in the owners manual the maintenance cycle and when i should change it. I know with my timing belt it was like 60k miles. He said there was no maintenance for it. As long as your properly maintain it then it will last forever. WTF?
Something to keep in mind leo.

There is a new a timing chain that prevents stretch that the newer 2011s and 2012s have. End of the day, even if you have to pay, it will be worth it to get the new part.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:55 AM
EvoM Community Team

sorry i am just trying to gather as much info as i can. The more info i have the better my chances. I already tried going after the 3rd party for warranty and they said that they can not do it till the mitsu warranty runs out.

Someone must have successfully argued their case. I am not trying to waste anyones time but with that being said 100 voices are better then 1. We can not all just roll over and say well we were screwed again.
Your mitsubishi warranty is out. They are either confusing 1 of 2 things. Either the old evo ix's warranty (10/100k), or the regular lancer warranty (10/100k). Powertrain for the current generation evo is 5/60k for powertrain. Your warranty is GONE from . Your 3rd party warranty provider needs to cover this. Plain and simple.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:01 AM
EvoM Community Team

Here, I found the links for you:

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/j...te/warranty.do

As you can see. You CAN transfer the 5/60k to subsequent owners. However you are OUT of your 60k powertrain warranty. Send your 3rd party warranty provider that link, and tell them to fix it or give you your money back. Case closed
Attached Thumbnails Need advice Mitsu is denying warranty-warranty1.png   Need advice Mitsu is denying warranty-warranty2.png  
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:13 AM

sorry guys. I am in canada 60miles=100km. So my car has 85000 KMs which is about 52000 miles.

My car is in the process of being towed to Dixie mitsubisihi. They are going to open it up and if it is deemed to be a fault of the belt he does not see why it shouldnt go though warranty as he has done 5 of these recently with no issues. Also he said my exhaust has no bearing on the timing chain so its a non issue.

I will update you today/tomorrow with any updates once i get it there.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:01 AM
EvoM Community Team

Interesting. Sorry I missed that. Either way, the reference for others is up there =)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It was also in Post #13 ...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:42 AM
EvoM Community Team

^--- morning posts fail me

At the very least, evom has a hard copy now =)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Thumping good read. Best of luck to the OP.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

This makes me think that when Mitsu deny warranty because of mods, does it actually mean anything to other dealerships. You said that they logged you on their records, but i'm pretty sure them telling you they won't fix it could just be because they have a stick up their a$$. It's funny, i had a situation where a mitsu told me i was banned from their facility because i had a warranty claim and then they call me telling me not to come back becasue the car was modded. I got a new X and it's even more modded and the same dealership has no problem with me. The dealership did just recently change owners, but it's interesting, because i'm not sure the scare tactics actually mean anything from mitsu. Good luck OP.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

What a different a 15 minute drive makes!! So i went into Dixie Mitsubishi and talked to the Sr Service advisor.

I explained to him that i purchased my car 2 months ago and that my timing chain appears to have stretched. I then went on to say that unfortunately i do not have any service records as i bought the car used. He said that its tough without records but i would need to bring the car in. He would try to leverage the 3rd party warranty if he needed to.

I then went on to ask him about any mods. I told him that my car had an exhaust and Erin mills said that it had void my warranty. He told me that was not the case and some dealerships are extreme regarding that. He said i could even install an intake if i want. He has serviced lots of cars with bolt ons. Now with that being said if you are having an issue and you pull in with a cold air intake he will advise you to take the part off and put on the oem part and see if you still experience the same issue. If so then he will fix it. If the part is totally unrelated like your transmission is giving you trouble he will not point to your intake.

He told me that exhaust or cat have nothing to do with a timing chain so that wouldnt even be reported to Mitsu head office.

Well while we were there he went to check my vin to see if i had any outstanding recalls. When he pulled up my vin there was a big flag alert that came up. It was posted by Erin Mills Mitsu and stated that i had no cat and that i had an aftermarket intake installed. WTF? I had a highflow cat and I had the OEM intake on. Not sure why they are going out of their way to stick it to me but I will be sure to NEVER as much as buy parts from Erin Mills and hope that some of you can learn from my experience there and do the same.

I also called Markham mitsu and told them I have an ultimate racing exhaust and cat and Erin mills denied me. They told me they have a UR exhaust hanging on the wall to show customers options but they no longer sell them.

So the lesson here is make sure you pick a dealer that will not stand off right from the get go. For all you lightly modded cars out there now you know NEVER take your car to Erin Mills. Drive 10 mins north, hit the 401 and go east to Dixie Mitsu.
I am very sorry to hear about your issues with Erin Mills, and you are not alone. I had issues with them too, and Scarborough as well. Sloppy service (work done improperly, or not at all), and incompetent service managers. Turnover at Erin Mills and Scarborough is also very high. A while back I shared these experiences in the Toronto Lancer Club forum.

Dixie is top-notch, and they covered the exact same repairs for me under warranty that others have told me different GTA dealers have denied. The Sr. Service Manager is excellent.

Last edited by TrailBrake; Apr 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:25 AM

Well my luck did not improve much. They said that my engine failed due to bad maintenance. The said the oil was black thats why it failed. WTF, i have never done an oil change and not seen black oil

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/a...417_164858.jpg
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/a...417_164933.jpg

Photo of the jumped teeth
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/a...417_164912.jpg

I have sent the oil out to be tested
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Any bent valves?

I find my oil discolours quite quickly, and I change it every 3 months (less than 3,000km).

Quick Reply: Need advice Mitsu is denying warranty