Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2011 Evo X GSR - 87 octane

Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you guys really think ill do damage to the car driving and staying out of boost? Im going to go to to a. Sunco that supposedly has 100 octane tonight. I tried calling there twice but of course there's no answer.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
psssh, its seriously not a big deal, the octane rating wont hurt the car unless you're in boost
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:55 PM
Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acm_evo
So long as you refrain from WOT and keep it mellow, i wouldn't sweat it. Or, you can buy a can of octane booster like this:

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=8&loc=show

from an auto parts store and be done with it...
+1. That's what I'd do.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

no need to call the gas attendant a retard. everyone makes mistakes! damn I have pumped gas before and **** happens.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by KWezzy
no need to call the gas attendant a retard. everyone makes mistakes! damn I have pumped gas before and **** happens.
In this case, I agree with the OP in calling the guy an idiot. When it's your JOB to do something SIMPLE, it should be correct every time.

Driver pulls up, "93 octane please." What's so complicated about that? The only reason for the guy to have messed up is because he couldn't pay attention for 1 second. I don't have a X, but if it says premium anywhere on the gas door or gas cap, the guy is double stupid.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
In this case, I agree with the OP in calling the guy an idiot. When it's your JOB to do something SIMPLE, it should be correct every time.

Driver pulls up, "93 octane please." What's so complicated about that? The only reason for the guy to have messed up is because he couldn't pay attention for 1 second. I don't have a X, but if it says premium anywhere on the gas door or gas cap, the guy is double stupid.
Do you know how many cars I have filled up and the stupid retarded owner knows the car takes 93 but is cheap and puts 87 in it! Man I couldn't even keep count but I guess I'm to nice to get mad when people make mistakes.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:42 PM

like everyone else said stay out of boost and it'll be fine.

drive like half off it off and fill up full with 93
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Gas attendant has to pump your gas? It's the law? How do you pay and who gives you your change? How do you pay by credit card?

Do you have to tip the attendant every time you pump gas? This is the most assinine law ive ever heard of.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Do you know how many cars I have filled up and the stupid retarded owner knows the car takes 93 but is cheap and puts 87 in it! Man I couldn't even keep count but I guess I'm to nice to get mad when people make mistakes.
That's not the same scenario as this. Your scenario is that YOU know what octane fuel should go in the car, but the owner does NOT or they CHOOSE to use a lower octane. They request a lower octane rating at which you have two options: either do as they ask or kindly ask if they prefer the correct octane or prefer to use the lower octane. Well, I guess option three would be to just pump in the proper octane, but then the owner might kick your *** for not doing as they asked.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

your right man sorry I just use to pump gas in jersey for like a year and half, and people were complete a**holes and di*ks. everything about that job pissed me off because people have no respect. Also god forbid me or one of my coworkers messed up the customers wouldn't even let you correct the situation or even give a refund without flipping out and you can't do a damn thing. one thing I can say thats off topic a little but the job made me a better person.

P.S. to the op I would stay out of boost and get a few bottles of octane boost.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not good. Should be fine. Just don't floor it.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

your right man sorry I just use to pump gas in jersey for like a year and half, and people were complete a**holes and di*ks.
yeah, I feel ya on that. I was one pissed off high school kid when I was a cashier at the grocery store. The thing that sucked about our jobs is you had to deal with those people regardless
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everyone does make mistakes but I did state premium so either A. He didn't hear me or B. He didn't understand me. I am a bit harsh but I when a vehicle of this nature is put in some unnecessary jeopardy, you can expect most people would be upset. I ended up just getting the octane booster and Im going to fill up with 93 at half a tank. The car was filled up with about 10 gallons of 87, so it wasn't completely bone dry. Ill be driving like a grandma for a few hundred miles.

My friend had an 03 Evo, full boltons, cams, and a tune putting like 350whp down and he let his mom drive the car. She ended up filling the gas tank with 87 octane and he put in a octane booster in the car and was fine. So given im not tuned, I think ill be fine if I drive it like a priuis is intended to be.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

on average, it takes about 3 bottles of the regular OTS octane booster to get 1 octane rating.

anyways, you will be fine. As stated the ECU has a high and low octane map, and it will safely change to the low octane map which will allow you to safely make power (just not as much). It takes as little as 1 knock count (1/3 sum) to pull timing, and 1 count is nothing...even with 93 you will get 1 knock sum (3 knock count).

You will be fine (although pissed off). I would drop to about 3/4 tank since it isn't your DD, and then go fill up with 100 if you have it. Otherwise, just drive like a normal person and you will be fine.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:48 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a drain plug under the gas tank? The last time I helped pulled a gas tank out of a car was like 5 years ago on my parent's Ford.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Evo X GSR - 87 octane