Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

The "EVO X" Weight Reduction Thread!

Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:28 PM
.MM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "EVO X" Weight Reduction Thread!

Post up any and all Weight Reductions you have made to your EVO X!

What makes the EVO X so heavy? How can we lighten her up?

Post it up!
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:48 PM

well any of the aftermarket exhaust systems will lighten up by about 25 lbs. plus you can get an 11.1 lb reduction on the drivetrain, i lost about 5 lbs on the intake switch, about a lb with the intercooler hot pipe switch, theres a 7 lb difference between the mishimoto radiator and the stock one. The stock seats are ridiculously heavy, thats a start for you
Old Dec 7, 2008, 04:28 PM

Check out the AMS thread they have a listing of all the stock weights for the parts of the car as they stripped it.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Here is what my plan

PARTS-SAVINGS

single AMS exhaust-25lb
lighter wheels -20lb
lighter battery-20lb
lighter seat and no back seat-50lb
spare removed + accessries-50lb

150-160lbs savings right there. If you wanna go crazy than move the rear crash beam-50lb, ac delete -20lb, cf trunk & fenders-30lb and so on..
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

dont forget trunk interiior + sounds deading material. you can lose the radio and speakers too. just like the IX rs come
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Change your stock Wheels, suspension,exhaust, seats, and remove your spear tire will reduce the weight of your X
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

5 pages already dedicated to this topic...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=345311
Old Dec 8, 2008, 03:09 PM

yeah don't forget driver mod!!! Lose a few pounds if you can and it takes off weight from the front of the car too!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIXMRSEPilot
Check out the AMS thread they have a listing of all the stock weights for the parts of the car as they stripped it.
Do you have a link to the thread. I searched and could not find it
Old Dec 8, 2008, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

...it sucks the fact that you buy a 30k car and over that you have to put in money to make it lighter... why cant they just make a super light RS model for the US and take out most of this safety stuff that only make the car heavier...
Old Dec 8, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
regardless if the weight the car is still a beast. i think ppl are losing weight b/c they wanna to compete with previous evos. whether they want to or not thats why im putting my car on a diet
Old Dec 8, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by nj1266
Do you have a link to the thread. I searched and could not find it
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight+reduction

page 7 post #97
Old Dec 8, 2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jayevo23
regardless if the weight the car is still a beast. i think ppl are losing weight b/c they wanna to compete with previous evos. whether they want to or not thats why im putting my car on a diet
yeah weight affects every aspect of a car's performance, from handling, to steering, braking, acceleration, (duh), gas mileage...etc....
Old Dec 8, 2008, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jayevo23
ofcourse!!! usually the next generation of a car means it is better! and since the evo falls into the sport car department then its measured as one!

a sport car is measured on how it handles, how fast it can go and how much it weight!!! why!? because like the member before said! Weight affects every aspect of a car! the evo went from a purebread horse to a quick donkey...

sadly to say its the weight the only thing that is stopping me from buying this car! now i wonder...why couldnt ive been in the market a couple of years before... this thing is heavy, looks similar to a mazda3/6, and now its automatic...
Old Dec 9, 2008, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Look, there is and has been elsewhere a lot of moaning and groaning about the weight of the X. Some of the causes for the X's weight are performance based while others are for public acceptance. For the former, the stiffness of the X's chassis was increased by 40% over that of the Evo IX. As with any race car one does this to improve the handling (and incidentally safety, see below) characteristics of the vehicle. Installing roll cages welded to the chassis is the usual approach/method employed when a passenger car is modified for racing. Mitsu did a lot of it for you in OEM form. To achieve added stiffness requires more bracing and welding, like a roll cage, which must add weight. So such increases in weight are justified from a performance point of view. Now to the latter. The general public has always expected prospective cars to be "safe" in the event of an accident and relatively inexpensive to repair for "fender benders". To satisfy this public demand, following the exposure of rear end collisons by Nader, legislation was inacted with auto requirements for safety which involved crash tests, injury estimations using dummies (not the live people kind), etc. which ultimately added weight to all vehicles in the form of air bag systems and chassis reinforcements for front, rear and side collisons. All these additions translates into weight and lots of it. Now I, like the next guy, want my car to be stronger than a (very race competitive) lite sardine can in the event of an accident so I think we would all agree in this case, weight is good thing. So there is a delicate balancing act going on here: how much weight can you remove to enhance performance but maintain safety? That said, there are definitely places were weight can be saved. For example, the air bag systems are useless and all that weight can be removed by their removal IF we all have and use an active harness system. This is another topic so I shall end it here by saying it is important to see where weight is going and is it all necesaary.

Later, Ken
AMS Intake&Exhaust
Iveytune (322 all around, Dynojet)
Robispec K&W

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "EVO X" Weight Reduction Thread!