Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car is failing state inspection

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car is failing state inspection

Im registering the car in RI and have to go through the stupid safety and emissions inspection (don't get me started on what I think about it) Anyways, everything is passing except the evap system, which when they plug in the OBD it is saying that the evap system check is incomplete. The car is not throwing any codes or check engine lights but I can't pass if this doesn't clear. Car is completely stock and has just over 14,000 miles on it so really new...

Essentially the ECU is telling me it needs more time to gather data and generate a response (ie system good/bad) but the car has been driven plenty. I've talked with Dynotech and they gave me a few good ideas (already checked the solenoid up front and the gas cap is fine) so I will be going under the car tomorrow to check out the evap system (located under the car near the driver rear wheel). If nothing is disconnected or broken though I'm kinda out of luck. It might be that there is something wrong with the ECU but Mitsubishi won't look at the car unless there is a CEL (otherwise they're going to charge me a crap ton of money that might be refunded IF they do find something that can be covered under warranty). Any other suggestions on what might be wrong or what to check out? Or does anyone familiar with the RI process know how to circumvent it or complete the wavier?

Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bring a copy of the inspection report to the dealer and ask again. If they refuse, go over their head and talk with the regional service rep.

If you have had the battery disconnected recently, it will take the car about 100 miles or so to reset all the readiness states on the OBDII tests. The 2 slow ones on my Evo 8 were the EGR and Evap control.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by chrisw
Bring a copy of the inspection report to the dealer and ask again. If they refuse, go over their head and talk with the regional service rep.

If you have had the battery disconnected recently, it will take the car about 100 miles or so to reset all the readiness states on the OBDII tests. The 2 slow ones on my Evo 8 were the EGR and Evap control.
Sorry forgot to mention since a lot of people have been asking...the battery has not been disconnected since I've had the car; 2000 miles.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:19 PM

might be one of the bad relay's....might want to check those? I'd honestly reset your battery and drive over 100 miles and then check it. OBD II isn't the best system but also, try going to another smog check site, they could have a faulty or bugged system. Hope you can figure it out, also, if you've bought it from a dealership, it should have been smogged or cleared from them, they can't sell a car that's not able to pass emissions, and if they did sell it to you like this then they're responsible, I'd take it back to them and complain =)

GL
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by hawaiianstyle
might be one of the bad relay's....might want to check those? I'd honestly reset your battery and drive over 100 miles and then check it. OBD II isn't the best system but also, try going to another smog check site, they could have a faulty or bugged system. Hope you can figure it out, also, if you've bought it from a dealership, it should have been smogged or cleared from them, they can't sell a car that's not able to pass emissions, and if they did sell it to you like this then they're responsible, I'd take it back to them and complain =)

GL
Nope, it was a private sale from a non-communist state haha

I'd go to another inspection site but then I'd have to pay them too and I won't get refunded....
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:30 PM

it might be a faulty evap sensor. anything going on besides it just don't respond? like fuel guage doesn't work?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by hawaiianstyle
it might be a faulty evap sensor. anything going on besides it just don't respond? like fuel guage doesn't work?
No the car is fine otherwise, no CEL's or other noticeable problems. I checked the solenoid and I will be going under the car tomorrow to see if something came unplugged. This is literaly the simplest and lightly used systems in the car so nothing should really be broken (obviously they can just more unlikely).

Thanks for the responses so far and I will try disconnecting the battery to see what happens...
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by THEmailman
Nope, it was a private sale from a non-communist state haha

I'd go to another inspection site but then I'd have to pay them too and I won't get refunded....
You don't know anyone, locally, who could help you with this? I could tell you at minimum 5 shops in the area in which I used to live which were mod friendly and would hook people up on inspections (we are talking $10 for a full inspection). Is this not the case in RI?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
You don't know anyone, locally, who could help you with this? I could tell you at minimum 5 shops in the area in which I used to live which were mod friendly and would hook people up on inspections (we are talking $10 for a full inspection). Is this not the case in RI?
I haven't lived here that long and Dynotech is in MA so they can't help me out either, beyond technical advice...when you live in the union's smallest state, you get screwed sometimes.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:04 PM
Former Sponsor

How much does it cost to have your car inspected in RI and where did you go to have the inspection done?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:15 PM

$39...and I just went to a local shop that had good reviews...there are no Mitsu dealers in RI nor are there any tuning shops...all in MA, CT or NY

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

How full was your gas tank when the test was run and had the car been allowed to sit overnight before the test?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Just do the OBD Inspection patch, and you'll be good. I was failing too until I did the patch, now all is good!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:02 AM

How full was your gas tank when the test was run and had the car been allowed to sit overnight before the test?
The tank was half full and yes the car had plenty of time to sit the night before and then warm up the morning of.

Originally Posted by ityn
Just do the OBD Inspection patch, and you'll be good. I was failing too until I did the patch, now all is good!
What is an OBD inspection patch?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by THEmailman

What is an OBD inspection patch?
Do a search on the evox forums for "Enable Readiness for OBDII"

Quick Reply: Car is failing state inspection