Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Corvette Enthusiast Possible New Evo Owner

Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corvette Enthusiast Possible New Evo Owner

Hello, my name is Danny. I'm a designer-publisher, car enthusiast, and surfer.

I'm currently considering a new Evo X GSR. I have been doing the research online and on this site so most of my questions have been answered. I do have a number of questions to ask, but in the spirit of community, the idea is that these questions might also help other future Evo owners. The questions are accompanied by details. So, here we go...

1. I live in California. Here, when going up to the mountains to snowboard, the police sets up road blocks and require cars to install snow chains. However, they set up signs that read "4WD with snow tires Ok." Meaning, they'll let trucks through no problem. I wonder if the cops here would require an Evo to install chains. Of course, I could try and convince the officer otherwise with fancy talk about AWD and traction control and how the car has been designed to do just this. But, my guess is, unless I install snow tires for the occasion, the cops won't let me through.

- Any California Evo owners here have to deal with this?
- If I do install winter tires for the trip I'd do it in my garage right before leaving. How will the snow tires fare during the 300 miles of asphalt that is not snow covered? The snow tires will only be needed for the mountain section of the trips, but of course I need to drive them to the mountains first. I've never driven snow tires. Will they disintegrate during the 300 miles of dry asphalt before hitting the snow?

2. I plan to track my Evo. But this brings me to... This is not a cheap car. I wonder how I will feel tracking a new car or will I be inclined to want to treat it as a garage queen. Those of you that track your Evos... How do you feel about it? Have you damaged your car? Do you hold back being it's a new-er car? Of course, even amateur rally would be out of the question on a brand new car. If I were to want to do rally, I'd get an old one. But I'm talking mainly for track use. Just not sure if I'm making the right decision. While I'll will daily drive my Evo for my short commutes and weekend runs, having a track car is one of my goals. The question is, should I track my $35,000 Evo, or should I buy an older, cheaper car to do so.

3. On the same subject of track cars... I agree that for the price, there is no other car that offer what the Evo offers out of the box. However, this is something I was thinking... I've always been a Corvette fan, even though the car's interior suck and the price of a new one is higher than an Evo, there is something I had in mind; I have some options:

- For $35,000 I can buy an Evo, or I can buy a used, low miles C6 Corvette. Something like an 2006 or so. I could also spend $22,000 on a C5 Corvette with 50k miles and put another $5,000 or $6,000 to get it track ready. That's still $27,000 - not $35,000. Plus, it's an older car that I won't feel like treating like a garage queen. I spoke with Matt Farrah from the Smoking Tire, and he recommended a Corvette over an Evo. Of course he is biased - he owns a Vette. However, being that this is all preference and a matter of opinion, there are pros and cons to both cars. An Evo should be a lot easier to drive and get good lap times, while a Corvette is also easy to work on, and should be easy to pull more power out of the V8 without putting as much stress on the engine.

- Instead of spending $35,000 on an Evo, I could do a little more on a used Lotus or spend $40,00o+ on a track-ready 2012 Mustang Boss 302.

What do you guy think?

4. While I'll buy the car for me, not for other people's opinion, we all seem to agree that the Evo is more a dick magnet and only "car people" are impressed by it. I don't care about what other people think, however, in my line of business I have to go meet potential clients often. What those guys think of the car you drive does matter for business unfortunately. It something does matter for the bottom line. In my line of business a client impressed by your car is more likely hire you. However, I've seen people on here compare the Evo an M3, but that's really apples and oranges. The M3 is considerably more expensive. Having said that, I own a Mustang and admittedly, one can argue that for $35,000 in an Evo, you are paying for performance, not for flashiness. A nice new Mustang seems to impress more people. Plus, I feel American or Italian styled cars tend to age a little better than Japanese cars (of course, with certain exceptions - opinions of course too).

In the end, I test drove a 2012 WW GSR and I thought it was great. I loved the seats, the transmission felt awesome, the clutch was sophisticated and accurate and the ride was fun. However, it was just a test drive. There's no way I can really get the feel for a car over 5 miles. I really enjoy driving the Mustang even though it's a bit big and heavy, the seats aren't as supportive and the steering doesn't provide as much feedback. But the car is impressive and has lots of presence.

I wonder if the Evo is going to be one of those cars that just puts a smile on my face every time I drive, for years to come. Or if it'll wear off quickly. Just want to make sure I make the right decision.

I might have other questions, but I'll post them as they come. Thanks, Danny
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I daily-drive my X (and daily drove my IX) and the smile never wears off.

If a 4x4 truck can do it, an Evo with snow tires will do it even better. I used to destroy 4x4 pickups/SUV's in the winter back when I lived in Minnesota.

Snow tires will be fine driving on dry asphalt, get a good performance winter tire and it won't feel much different from an all-season in the dry. I had Hankook W300's on my Evo IX and loved them for snow/ice conditions since they were more than capable, but still handled like a high performance all-season in the dry.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:19 PM

You sound like you have your head screwed on straight and have a pretty good idea of what you are getting yourself into. If you're going to track frequently however, I would recommend having a dedicated car for it if that is feasible for you. Once I had a minor cosmetic incident on track with my STi, it was enough to convince me that it was time to have something that I was completely okay with putting in a wall. Stuff happens.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:22 PM

Also, do you currently have a '11+ 5.0? It would be interesting to hear someone coming from that angle.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by MaximumYin
Also, do you currently have a '11+ 5.0? It would be interesting to hear someone coming from that angle.
No, I have a 2011 V6 - It's actually my wife's car. There are reasons why I won't track that one.

1. It's automatic
2. It's my wife car

The V6 is lighter than the V8. Supercharge it and work on the suspension and it can be a great track car for under $30K. The 2011 starts at 305HP. Yes, the V8 will clean it up in a drag race, but I have no interested in drag. I like corners.

My wife did suggest I trade it in for a V8 or V6 manual and track that instead of an Evo. It'll save me some money. But like I said, It's my wife's car. Not sure that will be a good idea.

One thing I must say about the 2011 V6 Mustang Premium - I did A LOT OF RESEARCH before buying that car. For under $26K, there is no better sporty car with 4 seats.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

i didnt read much but ill tell you this. when i sold my evo x, i had a chance to but a 11k mile red c5 z06. didnt buy it. my mustang ended up getting hit and when i sold my mustang, i put a deposit on a yellow c5 z06. instead i bought an evo that has now blown up. next time im buying a god damn z06 since someone is trying to tell me something.

but in all seriousness, any evo cannot hold a candle to a c5 z06 or even the ls3 c6. bolt on performance is unreal, decent looks, "holy ****" handling, way more fun/challenging/rewarding to drive and 500 whp on the ls3 is literally head/cam package away.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
if you're planning on going anywhere where there is snow, i wouldn't recommend a mustang or a corvette over an evo or any other awd car. i own a 91 5.0 and have to pack the hatch full of sand bags to go anywhere in the snow. once you get going it goes like a tank, but you can't stop it and you can't steer. i don't even take it out on wet roads because it kicks sideways. and that's the old 302 with only 220hp the new gt's are putting out close to 400hp. clear skies and sunday driving is all i would be doing in that lol and of course track use. go with the evo, that's why they have a rear view mirror, so you never miss an opportunity to see american muscle
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Snake bite
i didnt read much but ill tell you this. when i sold my evo x, i had a chance to but a 11k mile red c5 z06. didnt buy it. my mustang ended up getting hit and when i sold my mustang, i put a deposit on a yellow c5 z06. instead i bought an evo that has now blown up. next time im buying a god damn z06 since someone is trying to tell me something.

but in all seriousness, any evo cannot hold a candle to a c5 z06 or even the ls3 c6. bolt on performance is unreal, decent looks, "holy ****" handling, way more fun/challenging/rewarding to drive and 500 whp on the ls3 is literally head/cam package away.
Do you remember more or less how much that red 11K C5 Z06 was going for? I'm quite curious.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:57 PM

The evo is much more versatile than the RWD American cars you're putting it up against, but it's an understandable debate considering your price comparisons and what you're looking for. But, I must agree with Kracka as a daily driver of my X for almost 2 years now (that's 8 full on seasons here), it has yet to get stale.
As far as tracking goes, I would suggest finding an older evo 8 or 9 for a competitive price and going to mod town, but that's just me.

-

Last edited by stif4413; Jan 4, 2012 at 01:02 PM.

Originally Posted by Snake bite
but in all seriousness, any evo cannot hold a candle to a c5 z06 or even the ls3 c6.
Stock versus stock sure, but my exhaust/tune/coils/alignment/tires 04 STi at stock boost was very much on par with the C5 Z06s in our club on track in the dry. Granted stock v. modded isn't exactly fair, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to get a Evo or STi up to that speed.

Last edited by MaximumYin; Jan 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM.

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
if you're planning on going anywhere where there is snow, i wouldn't recommend a mustang or a corvette over an evo or any other awd car. i own a 91 5.0 and have to pack the hatch full of sand bags to go anywhere in the snow. once you get going it goes like a tank, but you can't stop it and you can't steer. i don't even take it out on wet roads because it kicks sideways. and that's the old 302 with only 220hp the new gt's are putting out close to 400hp. clear skies and sunday driving is all i would be doing in that lol and of course track use. go with the evo, that's why they have a rear view mirror, so you never miss an opportunity to see american muscle
If I end up with a Vette I'd buy an old 4x4 pickup truck for work, hauling, offroad and snow. In case I don't buy an Evo, I'd do a $22K +/- Corvette and a $14K +/- Gen 1 (2001-2004) Toyota Tacoma. That's pretty much $35,000. What a new Evo will cost me.

At the same time, if I buy the Evo, I might end eventually having to buy a truck anyway. The Evo can do the snow work, but I might need to be able to haul stuff, hence the truck.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by kiteboarder
No, I have a 2011 V6 - It's actually my wife's car. There are reasons why I won't track that one.

1. It's automatic
2. It's my wife car

The V6 is lighter than the V8. Supercharge it and work on the suspension and it can be a great track car for under $30K. The 2011 starts at 305HP. Yes, the V8 will clean it up in a drag race, but I have no interested in drag. I like corners.

My wife did suggest I trade it in for a V8 or V6 manual and track that instead of an Evo. It'll save me some money. But like I said, It's my wife's car. Not sure that will be a good idea.

One thing I must say about the 2011 V6 Mustang Premium - I did A LOT OF RESEARCH before buying that car. For under $26K, there is no better sporty car with 4 seats.
Good stuff. My buddy had a '10 GT with 275 r-comps/coils laid down similar times as me (STi on 255s). I was pretty impressed because I didn't think the older setups had the speed in them. You could definitely have fun with the new V6. But yeah, wifey car = BAD IDEA.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
I daily-drive my X (and daily drove my IX) and the smile never wears off.

If a 4x4 truck can do it, an Evo with snow tires will do it even better. I used to destroy 4x4 pickups/SUV's in the winter back when I lived in Minnesota.

Snow tires will be fine driving on dry asphalt, get a good performance winter tire and it won't feel much different from an all-season in the dry. I had Hankook W300's on my Evo IX and loved them for snow/ice conditions since they were more than capable, but still handled like a high performance all-season in the dry.
Hmmm. Interesting. Still, I'd need 2 sets of wheels. Unlike some of you, I love the Evo GSR stock wheels, so those would keep the summer tires. I'd then get a set of 16's or 17's for the snow tires. It'll be at least a $1K expense for that with tires.

Even during winter, in SoCal, most of my winter driving is just like summer driving. Which means, whether I like it or not, right before a snowboarding trip, I'll have to jack up the car and take the impact gun to it and switch out the wheels. Then again when I return from the trip. At least, I have a nice jack and electric impact gun. Doing this change might be a hassle but it'll really take no more than 15-20 minutes between preparation and work.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by kiteboarder
Hmmm. Interesting. Still, I'd need 2 sets of wheels. Unlike some of you, I love the Evo GSR stock wheels, so those would keep the summer tires. I'd then get a set of 16's or 17's for the snow tires. It'll be at least a $1K expense for that with tires.
Unfortunately I don't believe there are any 17s that fit over the brakes, and definitely no 16s. They are slightly larger than they were on the Evo 8/9, so 18s are pretty much mandatory.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 01:16 PM

Well, after reading a your post, it really depends on what you want out of the car. What I mainly see with your justification is price of a used Corvette and a new evo. There are plenty of 2008 gsr evos out there around that same price range as the vette with similar or less mileage. I guess also in what image you want to portray. I enjoy me evo everyday and it hasn't let me down yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Enthusiast Possible New Evo Owner