Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Clunking noise when I hit the brakes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the pads moving around in the caliper aren't really a problem. Thats how they are designed and the sound is really just the nature of the beast.

If your having the problem as the poster above you is i doubt this is what you are hearing. Im not sure what the problem is there but you wont here the clunk from the pads shifting back and forth during driving. It simply shouldnt happen. However you may hear them rattling or something of that sort and that SHOULDNT happen.

Removed the pins and pads/shims. check to make sure everything is good. replace what isnt like the pins if the bushing on the end are worn. Put everything together with synthetic caliper grease and if you still hear it i bet its form somewhere else. Meaning not "in" the caliper.

Good luck
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm having the same issues, at low speeds I am still getting clunking under slight accel, decel, and also over some bumps too. I've tried just about everything possible with the brakes, other than replacing the spring clip and pins that hold the pads. I've replaced the axles, I've inspected all the fasteners, tried shaking the front wheel while elevated at different angles to check for ball joint play. Nothing has seemed out of the ordinary at all in my suspension/ hub assembly. Post #11 seems like a logical explanation, but why would I have not noticed this until after 110k miles? This seems like a problem that could be fixed, not just a natural diff lock that happens in the evo at low speed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ethan169
Removed the pins and pads/shims. check to make sure everything is good. replace what isnt like the pins if the bushing on the end are worn. Put everything together with synthetic caliper grease and if you still hear it i bet its form somewhere else. Meaning not "in" the caliper.
You do realize that you're in the Evo X subforum and that we have fixed-caliper brakes, yes? We don't have no stinkin' pins.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OZrallyracer
So I'm having the same issues, at low speeds I am still getting clunking under slight accel, decel, and also over some bumps too. I've tried just about everything possible with the brakes, other than replacing the spring clip and pins that hold the pads. I've replaced the axles, I've inspected all the fasteners, tried shaking the front wheel while elevated at different angles to check for ball joint play. Nothing has seemed out of the ordinary at all in my suspension/ hub assembly. Post #11 seems like a logical explanation, but why would I have not noticed this until after 110k miles? This seems like a problem that could be fixed, not just a natural diff lock that happens in the evo at low speed.

Any help would be appreciated.
If you have an X, then, odds are, you have the (rather-too-frequent) upper shock-mount clunk, and this has zilch to do with your brakes.
Old May 17, 2022, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vivac2
I have the exact same problem. All the explanations here make sense. Now, how do we settle this problem? Any solution anyone?
Yeah what VIVAC said! We seem to get that the pads might be moving in the caliper, but what is the fix? Doesn't sound right and probably shouldn't be happening. Mine only makes noise the first time I brake in a direction. For example if I back into my driveway and brake ill get the clunk, but if I continue to reverse and brake it doesn't happen anymore. Next time I move forward and brake, I get the clunk, but not again until I switch directions. its only the first brake in either direction that I get it. Also this hasn't happened until recently, I've owned the car for 9 years and it just started to happen, so there has to be a solution...