Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Bought Modified Evo X, needs tune to be safe?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2010, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought Modified Evo X, needs tune to be safe?

Just picked up a ww evo for 26 with sss and aero @ 16 k miles. The guy before me put on a cat back exhaust (loud as hell), vent to atmosphere bov, and intake (I think it's k&b). Stock parts are not available, the lady I was talking to didn't even know what kind of car it was when it came on the lot.

I'm assuming the guy didn't tune it afterward. With these mods would it be necessary to tune or possibly risk ruining air/fuel mix and damaging the motor? I remember on my old wrx I stuck a cai and tbe and it just ran a little rich.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by mlotek; May 1, 2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added words
Old May 1, 2010, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

I would take off the atmospheric BOV because the cars are supposed to run with a re-circ valve. I think there are some companies that make a re-circ/atmospheric BOV (forge maybe). Get the car checked out too, if he ran the car w/o a tune for 16K then there might be some problems, especially if the lady you bought from didn't even know what kind of car it was.

These car run very rich from the factory. A lot of guys on here would tell you to def get an a/f gauge to monitor and also get a log going.

If you have a CAI and a full exhaust system then a tune is highly recommended. Me personally, if I were you I'd be very worried about that atmospheric BOV. The guy/kid who owned it before you probably wanted the cool sound and had it installed. Wonder why he got rid of it after 16K.

Also get the clutch looked at, I think the life expectancy is 20K or so depending on how the car is driven.
Old May 2, 2010, 12:08 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I recommend you have it tuned.

Did the car stumble at all when you test drove it? I would assume that the BOV would make regular drive-ability difficult.

Last edited by golgo13; May 2, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old May 2, 2010, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

I think i'm going to hold out on every other mod until I get to the east coast so that Mellon can tune and do everything to my car... Hope the laws in Virginia aren't as strict as California
Old May 2, 2010, 12:20 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TruSlide
I think i'm going to hold out on every other mod until I get to the east coast so that Mellon can tune and do everything to my car... Hope the laws in Virginia aren't as strict as California
Why not ask them: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...tic-region-45/

Old May 2, 2010, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by mlotek
Just picked up a ww evo for 26 with sss and aero @ 16 k miles. The guy before me put on a cat back exhaust (loud as hell), vent to atmosphere bov, and intake (I think it's k&b). Stock parts are not available, the lady I was talking to didn't even know what kind of car it was when it came on the lot.

I'm assuming the guy didn't tune it afterward. With these mods would it be necessary to tune or possibly risk ruining air/fuel mix and damaging the motor? I remember on my old wrx I stuck a cai and tbe and it just ran a little rich.

Thanks,
Tom
What part of OH are you in? Buschur Racing is located in Wakeman, OH and they could custom tune your x.

http://www.buschurracing.com
Old May 2, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brtecson
What part of OH are you in? Buschur Racing is located in Wakeman, OH and they could custom tune your x.

http://www.buschurracing.com
Buschur does a great job tuning Xs. I drove the 4 hours up there from Cincinnati and it was worth the drive.
Old May 2, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

If it is on stock tune then you are probably okay since the stock 08 tune is crazy rich. That being said, I'd get it to Buschur like the other guys suggested.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:11 AM

When I test drove it, it pulled like hell with no hesitation, coughing, etc. I could almost swear it pulled harder than my friend's stock STI. I remember the wrx access port could see the ecu version, or something like that..My point is maybe he did have it tuned, any way to check?

I've had the Accessport in the past, and I wasn't too impressed. I was thinking about Tactrix and my laptop, as I'm assuming it would allow data logging of A/F mixtures, boost, etc. What do you guys thing of Tactrix?

Thanks,
Tom
Old May 2, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

The car does run quite rich from the factory. Having the exhaust and intake- would actually lean out the car. The BOV would cause problems but as you are explaining it, doesn't look like the car has problems. Maybe the original guy got it tuned? But regardless get ti checked and get a tune.
Old May 2, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mlotek
I've had the Accessport in the past, and I wasn't too impressed. I was thinking about Tactrix and my laptop, as I'm assuming it would allow data logging of A/F mixtures, boost, etc. What do you guys thing of Tactrix?

Thanks,
Tom
my accessport off the shelf stage 2 map was perfect for my subaru. car ran like stock and pulled smoothly. no one recommends aftermarket air intakes/cold air because of the MAF sensor issues and open loop/closd loop.

back on topic...most ppl recommend tuning the evo x's stock...i'd take the bov off and tune it.
Old May 2, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

It wouldn't be too difficult to acquire stock parts as I'm sure you can find them on the cheap in the Marketplace. Also, a boost gauge would be very beneficial to you as there is no way to monitor your boost levels. That would give you an indication as to whether the vehicle is tuned. If you do decide to go with a tune, Buschur Racing is located in Ohio and they have an excellent reputation in the Evolution community.