evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X General
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search


Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Hakmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mo Val
Posts: 349

Drives: Evo x Mr PB

Spark plug installation writeup?

been looking everywhere and cant find a thing, help?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: US
Posts: 537

Drives: Evo X GSR

Just google for a writeup, as the evo x is not really much different from any other car. The main difference is the coil pack is mounted directly on to each spark plug hole, so you have to remove that (two bolts). Basic process is this:

Tools needed:
Socket wrench
5/8" spark plug socket
Socket extension
Anti-seize
Di-electric grease


Remove plastic engine cover
For each spark plug:
-Remove coil pack (two bolts)
-Use a 5/8" spark plug socket to loosen and remove the spark plug, but be gentle to avoid stripping the threads (it's best to do it when the engine has cooled down imo)
-Optional: Use just a little bit of anti-seize on the uppermost threads (away from the actual electrode) of the spark plug, and use di-electric grease on the metal end (terminal) of the spark plug that the spark plug boot will connect to (this is the top of the spark plug when looking at a spark plug while it's installed in the engine)
-Put the new spark plug into your spark plug socket, and use your hand to install the spark plug (do not use a socket wrench at first). Once you've tightened as much as possible by hand, use a socket wrench to tighten further, but stop once you get a bit of resistance. Then get your torque wrench and torque to spec (typically around 13-14 ft lbs).
-Re-install coil pack. Don't overtighten those two bolts. I think they are around 10 ft lbs or so.
-Repeat this process for each of the four spark plugs - I recommend doing one at a time so you don't get confused as to which coil goes with which hole.

Last edited by LaXGSR; Apr 19, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 13

Is a torque wrench absolutely necessary? did a search and all i could find is the huge torque wrenches used for tires. if it is necessary is there a recommended one?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
Garage is empty, add now
 
E6-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: earth
Posts: 482

Drives: 08 X MR

Send a message via AIM to E6-X Send a message via MSN to E6-X Send a message via Yahoo to E6-X Send a message via Skype™ to E6-X
at least op asked to be sure, i think we;re here to help each other out and what;s the harm asking ?

no offense just ma 2 cents.

btw lax are you sure it is 13-14 ft.lbs or 32-33 ft.lbs ?
__________________


Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: US
Posts: 537

Drives: Evo X GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6-X View Post
at least op asked to be sure, i think we;re here to help each other out and what;s the harm asking ?

no offense just ma 2 cents.

btw lax are you sure it is 13-14 ft.lbs or 32-33 ft.lbs ?
I'm absolutely positive the spark plugs should be torqued to 13-14 ft lbs... 32-33 would strip the aluminum head

You don't "have" to have a torque wrench, but it's a worthwhile investment for anyone working on cars - just get a 3/8" 10-75 ft lb torque wrench. If you don't have one, the spark plug box (at least for NGK's) typically will say how much to turn it after tightening it by hand. Note that what this means is, you use your extension and tighten by hand (without a socket attached to it) as much as possible. Then it will say "+1/4 or +1/2 turn". This is where you put your socket on, and turn it either a 1/4 turn (90 degrees) or 1/2 turn (180 degrees). In general, I've found a 1/4 turn to be plenty (about what the torque wrench method will result in).
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now
 
rookievo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Modesto CA
Posts: 47

Drives: 06 RR MR

Its pretty simple job to do OP just need the right tools. but one thing i learned is to carefully screw the spark plugs in slowly and to not strip the threads, also screw the coil packs slowly as they can also get striped as well. Get NGK iridiums.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 02:59 AM   #7
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now
 
armysoldier1073's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio (WPAFB)
Posts: 606

Drives: '08 GG EVO X GSR

you also HAVE to make sure your car is cool when you change them. DO NOT change them on a car that you just ran due to the heads being aluminum. Also buy plugs from dealer. The ones that Autozone, and auto parts places sell are wrong size. Even the NGK web site is wrong. they all reccommend a plug that the threads are 1/2" too short. If your able to get the right ones from a parts store great, but all around here are not. Best bet is to take one with you, so when you tell them they are wrong, you don't get the look like you have a dick growing from your forehead. dealer for me was $70 for the set. And always verify your gap on the plugs. just cause they say PRE GAPPED, does not mean they are. good luck.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 06:30 AM   #8
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (7)
Garage is empty, add now
 
EvoX-11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 343

Drives: 2011 Evo X GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by armysoldier1073 View Post
you also HAVE to make sure your car is cool when you change them. DO NOT change them on a car that you just ran due to the heads being aluminum. Also buy plugs from dealer. The ones that Autozone, and auto parts places sell are wrong size. Even the NGK web site is wrong. they all reccommend a plug that the threads are 1/2" too short. If your able to get the right ones from a parts store great, but all around here are not. Best bet is to take one with you, so when you tell them they are wrong, you don't get the look like you have a dick growing from your forehead. dealer for me was $70 for the set. And always verify your gap on the plugs. just cause they say PRE GAPPED, does not mean they are. good luck.
wow! $70 a set? Why so expensive? NGK Iridium should be around $30


If I amma pay that much I will pay lil more and get HKS ones for $99
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 02:52 AM   #9
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: united kingdom
Posts: 4

Send a message via Yahoo to Charlotte01 Send a message via Skype™ to Charlotte01
Yep, the friction modifier debate is the same kind of deal as the anti-seize. I too don't think what you've done will cause you a problem, but some folks say to put a "liberal" amount on. I would vigerously oppose that. I also think by you staying at the lower end of the torque spec. is a good idea, especially when using the anti-seize. I am going to change my diff./Xfer case fluids soon, and will add the friction modifier to the Mobil 1. In this case I don't believe the additional will cause any addverse effects......I hope, LOL!
__________________
Industrial hydraulic jacks
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (5)
2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
Get Rad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 585

Drives: PB 2010 Evo X

Lefty loosy, righty tighty
__________________
Evo has been sold.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Stingray Pilot
Personal Sales Rating: (49)
2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
Kracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Colony, TX
Posts: 8,948

Drives: GheyRay

Keep it clean...if you're adding nothing but rude/sarcastic remarks then keep it to yourself. Thread cleaned up, only warning.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (18)
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
Johnr352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 1,273

Drives: EFI Logics Evo X Time Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoX-11 View Post
wow! $70 a set? Why so expensive? NGK Iridium should be around $30


If I amma pay that much I will pay lil more and get HKS ones for $99
$70 is a retail price, you can find them by part number, online for about $45. I suggest you stick with the OEM plugs, learn how to change them, and then do it periodically to keep everything running nicely.
__________________
EFI Logics - Evo X
2011/2012 TTS NASA NE Champion
Racing results and updates www.jprautosports.com
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:14 PM   #13
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: florida
Posts: 83

Drives: 2011 WW EVO X GSR

how offen do you guys change plugs? every 15000 miles ?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 05:47 AM   #14
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
deanob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 255

Drives: 2008 Evo X MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by linste View Post
Is a torque wrench absolutely necessary? did a search and all i could find is the huge torque wrenches used for tires. if it is necessary is there a recommended one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaXGSR View Post
I'm absolutely positive the spark plugs should be torqued to 13-14 ft lbs... 32-33 would strip the aluminum head

You don't "have" to have a torque wrench, but it's a worthwhile investment for anyone working on cars - just get a 3/8" 10-75 ft lb torque wrench. If you don't have one, the spark plug box (at least for NGK's) typically will say how much to turn it after tightening it by hand. Note that what this means is, you use your extension and tighten by hand (without a socket attached to it) as much as possible. Then it will say "+1/4 or +1/2 turn". This is where you put your socket on, and turn it either a 1/4 turn (90 degrees) or 1/2 turn (180 degrees). In general, I've found a 1/4 turn to be plenty (about what the torque wrench method will result in).
Just don't use the big torque wrench meant for large bolts like your wheels etc. I find they aren't accurate at that low range and with all that leverage your more likely to do more damage then good.

The old school method is tighten by hand with the "feel" .. loosen, then re-tighten 1/4 turn. If you dont want to do the feel method then grab a smaller torque wrench meant for smaller jobs.
__________________
08 Evo X MR ---> 12.3@111/1.8 60ft
----------------------------------------------
Cobb AP V2 + Cobb BCS
ETS Intake + UICP
UR 4.5" FMIC
UR Solid Motor Mounts
TurboXS Widemouth DP
MXP Resonated TP
Invidia Q300 Catback
GSR Struts + Eibach Prokit
Whiteline F&R Sways
StopTech Rotors,Pads & SS Lines
JDM Dash kit
APR Vortex Generator
S2000 Build Project
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 05:48 AM   #15
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
deanob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 255

Drives: 2008 Evo X MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine58 View Post
how offen do you guys change plugs? every 15000 miles ?
I changed mine just recently at 17k miles. they were in semi-rough condition...

They were the original 08's so it was more over due to time then mileage which is why I changed them... personally I think 30k miles is fine.
__________________
08 Evo X MR ---> 12.3@111/1.8 60ft
----------------------------------------------
Cobb AP V2 + Cobb BCS
ETS Intake + UICP
UR 4.5" FMIC
UR Solid Motor Mounts
TurboXS Widemouth DP
MXP Resonated TP
Invidia Q300 Catback
GSR Struts + Eibach Prokit
Whiteline F&R Sways
StopTech Rotors,Pads & SS Lines
JDM Dash kit
APR Vortex Generator
S2000 Build Project
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 05:48 AM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
06, 2008, antisieze, corvette, evo, install, installation, instruction, lancer, mr, plug, plugs, spark, tool, zr1

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 









All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All Passwords