Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X on The Forum Wars [merge]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by samleeiii
Believe me my goal wasn't to lose, but I took a car out that wasn't mine that I didn't have any seat time in with the intent of having fun and yeah I lost.

But on the other hand, I can understand how you all feel, which admittedly I originally did not consider when I decided to do the show. At the time I thought oh cool, free tv time, and I get to have fun driving my g/f's car which I don't really drive around much (I think my STI was down at the time, lol, I don't remember).

And because of that, I can see why everyone's upset, so it's not like I'm trying to say hey that's unfair. I'm sympathetic with where you're coming from, but I don't want to make it sound like I'm a total sucker. The run they showed of me wasn't even my hot lap, but my first lap on their course.
I can understand this..... I usually don't get into online arguments but the whole EVOm representation got to me on this one. No more bashing from me....

Next time I come back to CA to visit my friends (was raised in valencia and glendale) maybe we can go have some fun.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Where's Ryan Gates when you need him?! LoL.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Hey if you guys want to flame me go ahead. I'm just trying my best to give you my side of the story. It's not like I have to come on the forum and explain myself; I could just not say anything.

I think I already addressed your question in an earlier post... The guy organizing the cars for the show told Jon they didn't find an EVO to run him, so Jon said oh I have a friend who can get an EVO. So I offerred to go for fun.
I commend you on keeping your cool Sorry for bashing you. I see that Royal Purle is pure BS for making that excuse about not finding an Evo, there are tons of Evo's in Cali so shame on them for that. If they actualy went on forums they wouldn't have that "problem".
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spy007
Sam,

Like you said... pads make a difference... but on that course they wouldnt. What pads did your buddy have? Oh and give us the truth and not some BS. Still stock eh? If you didnt know you were outpowered and thought you actually had more AWHP than he did, i doubt you have a clue on anything else.

So really now... what dates have you ran with your speedventures folks? You forget that they post all the results up on their website and we do have forum members who are also on there.
My friend ran Project Mu 999 pads. The STI didn't have more power, like I just said, it barely makes 300whp. I bogged on the launch and he took me fair and square with less power. The STI has a bit more torque, around 360wtq, with the EVO at 340wtq. We use the same tuner and dyno so the comparison is fair.

I just ran with SV on 4/11 at Buttonwillow Raceway in my S2000. SV only posts the results for you if you pay for their lap timing. I'm using a datalogger from Race Technologies, so I don't get SV's timing.

I ran a 2.13 in a bone stock AP S2000 with the spare tire and tools still in the car. It's not an amazing lap time, but it was my first time on track with that car and first time on track with a RWD car. I'll be at Industry Day 6 in June and will hope to get my times down to a 2.08. I can carry a lot more speed through bus stop and riverside, along with a few other corners, so I think it's very do-able.

Like I said, I'll be at Spring Mountain in Pahrump in the middle of May to do S2000 challenge stock class and the results will be posted online etc. So I'll post back here after the event and let you know how I do.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by slo4g63
I can understand this..... I usually don't get into online arguments but the whole EVOm representation got to me on this one. No more bashing from me....

Next time I come back to CA to visit my friends (was raised in valencia and glendale) maybe we can go have some fun.
Thanks! If you're in town, I'll buy you a beer. I'm a very friendly guy, I don't claim to be the next Vettel or anything. I'm just out there to have fun like the next guy.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by boondoc
I commend you on keeping your cool Sorry for bashing you. I see that Royal Purle is pure BS for making that excuse about not finding an Evo, there are tons of Evo's in Cali so shame on them for that. If they actualy went on forums they wouldn't have that "problem".
Thanks! I understand your guys point of view, and believe me, I wanted to take home a win for you guys. I wanted to beat my friend and rub it in his face, but he's a better driver. He's doing probably a 2.02 now at Buttonwillow with street tires, and barely 300whp. We'll be out at Pahrump competing, so if anyone's out there, you know what I look like .

Hit me up, I'll buy you a beer, I'm very friendly and approachable. You can talk **** to me in person if you'd like, I don't care. I'm out there to have fun and put down the times if I can.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:57 AM

Oh and Gates... there's less than a handful of STIs comparable in car and driving skill, so that's a tough one.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Sam-

Just out of curiosity, how did you get picked to represent our forum? Did a Royal Purple representative just call you randomly and ask you?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:04 AM

I really tried to get in the show with my STI and run against an EVO, but they said they couldn't find EVOs??? Don't ask me how that happened, I honestly don't know. They couldn't find anyone to run Jon, so the organizer asked Jon if he knew anyone with an EVO.

He said he did, I showed up with my g/f's car and that's how it came about. I didn't really think too much about it, which in hindsight, I should've considered your guys feelings that you'd want someone from EVOM who's an active member to run.

I mean obviously looking back now, I could've easily made a post on EVOM and said, "Hey email this guy we need EVOs." That's a mistake on my part, I just didn't think about it.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks! If you're in town, I'll buy you a beer. I'm a very friendly guy, I don't claim to be the next Vettel or anything. I'm just out there to have fun like the next guy.
Not getting worked up after all we have said is pretty good on your part. And like some of have said, we might be looking in the wrong direction, the bad guys in this movie might be really the retards at RP..
and If them lying about the stats is true, then shame on them for taking such a good idea and turning it into ****. This idea of taking forum members and having them race it out on the track is genius, but RP found a way to take that great idea and mess it all up.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Did your buddy lie on his stats to RP?

2008 Subaru WRX STi
Jonathan Gih
Diamond Bar, CA
411hp/480 torque

Not paying the $25 for the transponder I can understand... but when you want to compare times, you need to be ready to fork out the dough so you can back it up with official times and not just your own datalogger even if it is one that costs almost a grand. But then again, you have no issue spending that much on a logger and will also pay a decent amount for a track day and wont spring for their timer...

Once again man... sorry you are getting flack but by saying you a repping us, you asked for it. RP and you/your buddy both screwed over EvoM hardcore. If your buddy did have a stock tuned car, it should have been extremely easy to find someone who drove an evo daily with the same stock setup.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

I mean obviously looking back now, I could've easily made a post on EVOM and said, "Hey email this guy we need EVOs." That's a mistake on my part, I just didn't think about it.
You shouldnt have had to.... RP should have
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:15 AM

Yeah man, the STI makes like 310whp at most and 360wtq. I break bread with this guy every week, I know how fast his car is. LOL. He's one of the guys I track with regularly. We were in the Import Tuner EVO vs STI challenge too and my STI skipped timing.

2 STIs caught on fire that day... my other friend with an STI blew his motor for Super Lap the next day. I pretty much decided to sell my STI that day, lol. I was going to buy YimiSport's EVO 8 but it ended up being a bigger budget project than I was expecting so I got an S2000 instead.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

That's what I said a few posts ago... Sam doesn't sound like a complete douch to me... this RP "organizer" apparently has no care for what the forum communities will think (he probably concerned himself with the schedule that RP has given him, and the $$ RP is paying to get things done), it would have been easy for him to just use a computer and google "evolution community forum" and made a post about the show here... that tool probably doesn't even know how to use a computer...

Last edited by tipoytm; Apr 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:17 AM

He didn't lie about his power, RP just got it wrong.

Quick Reply: Evo X on The Forum Wars [merge]