Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo dads: Recaro Young Sport car seat info and pics for your kids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:51 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Evo dads: Recaro Young Sport car seat info and pics for your kids

Hey guys,

I have two small kids, 1 and 4 years old. My youngest outgrew his rear facing carrier/base setup, so I needed to get him something else. We have used a Recaro Young Sport for my daughter since she was a year old in the Evo, and I love it. A couple weeks ago, I realized he was over weight allowance for his small seat, so I let him inherit his sister's Britax seat in my wife's car, and moved the Recaro to her car so we could be compliant in the interim.

My car now bare of children seats, I picked up two more Recaro Young Sports, and they arrived today.

Name:  IMG_4536.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  71.1 KB

These seats are awesome. They are forward facing only, and have an integrated harness for any child aged 1 year old and 20 pound minimum. They can use the integrated harness all the way until they are 40 pounds. At that point, the seat can be transformed into a booster, the harnesses are removed, and it will carry the child all the way up until they are ready to be seatbelted in the rear with no booster seat!

I have decided to model my daughter to show you guys correct child seating position.

This is NOT correct.
Name:  IMG_4539.jpg
Size:  51.6 KB
The headrest in this position is too high. The middle of the headrest should be at your child's ears. My daughter is right on the bubble between settings. I suspect I can go up to this setting within 6 months.

This is the correct headrest height for her size. In addition to being at the middle of her ears, the bottom of the headrest should still safely clear her shoulders. The head protection shells are large and provide safety in side impact collisions. They also keep them placed nicely when daddy is going around curves (of course within the speed limit with little ones in the car).

When used as a booster, the seat uses the top tether and the factory seatbelt only (do not use the latch system).

Obviously, my kids are not this big yet. I use the seats in harness mode. The top tether is tightened and attached to the back top behind the headrest, and the two latches are snap locked into the bottom (between the vertical and horizontal back seat) and tightened. Set up this way, these seats don't budge, which is awesome.

Here are a couple of pics of the seats installed correctly in my Evo X.

Name:  IMG_4551.jpg
Size:  57.6 KB

As you can see, they are not only safe, but they look great in the Evo's interior.

I hope some of you find this info helpful. There are a ton of seats that are safe for your kids, just please make sure you have them in the correct size for their height and weight.

Last edited by Noize; Feb 27, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that, Noize. I've been interested in this for my daughter as well. When she gets old enough to move up to these, I'll def be picking one up for her. It's nice to see they match the interior well also. This is an upgrade worth every penny IMHO!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Great seats; very caring Dad! My nine year old sits in a Recaro Vivo booster in my wifes FX35 as well as the Cayenne.

She protested a bit as she thought she was too old for a "new baby seat" but once she saw Dad strapped into the Evo with a race seat, HANS device, and 6-point harness, she figured her set-up wasn't too bad.

Still amazes me to see people that drive with children as young as infants in their laps, or toddlers in the front seats.....sad.

How much did your daughter get for the "shoot"?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Been using the Start seats since my kids got old enough for them. Here is one set in my IX.
Attached Thumbnails Evo dads: Recaro Young Sport car seat info and pics for your kids-dsc03059-small-.jpg  
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My son loves his seat. (Exact same as the OP) He is to the point I had to remove the 5 point and let him use the car's seat belt. The 5 point can be a pain as the child gets older and is wearing their winter clothes. A single seat mounts wonderfully on the hump in the back. Use the clip loops under the seat to secure the child seat and ALWAYS use the upper harness on the rear deck.

Oh and when using the seat as a booster....pull the car's seat belt all of the way out. Then hook it up and release it. This will make it ratchet back into place further securing your child.

This seat is absolutely the best for our children.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We personally prefer the Britax seats to all others. We have two Britax Boulevards and they are pretty nice and a cinch to install correctly (as opposed to some others we've used from friends and the like). They also can be used for a very wide weight range (this is important).
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

My tip is to buy a cheap black towel and place it under the seats. This prevents the child seats from digging in and leaving grooves in the factory seats, and it catches all the junk the kids seem to leave behind.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:45 PM

Oh the things to look forward to when I am married and have kids. Now to find the perfect woman!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:57 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by goofygrin
We personally prefer the Britax seats to all others. We have two Britax Boulevards and they are pretty nice and a cinch to install correctly (as opposed to some others we've used from friends and the like). They also can be used for a very wide weight range (this is important).
I have a Britax Marathon in my wife's car and we both hate it. It was overpriced and is a bit over complicated. I do like that it can go rear facing and that the harness can be used longer than the Recaro. It caps out at 65 pounds, the Recaro caps out at 80 as a booster. I prefer to only have to buy two car seats per kid.

I've never tried a Boulevard, FWIW, might be lots better.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting a set of Recaro Vivo booster seats for my kids. The only problem is that I can't find them in the carbon color anywhere! Every place I've checked is sold out of that particular color.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:05 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Golden
My tip is to buy a cheap black towel and place it under the seats. This prevents the child seats from digging in and leaving grooves in the factory seats, and it catches all the junk the kids seem to leave behind.
I have towels under too, always have. Good tip I forgot to add.

Originally Posted by goforwand

How much did your daughter get for the "shoot"?
She did it out of the kindness of her heart.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

haha! she looks so excited! Bump for some awesome baby seats
Old Feb 27, 2010, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Golden
According to the wife, it is not good to have anything under the seat because in the event of an impact the towel/whatever compresses and can create dangerous slack in the latch or seat-belt.

BTW, nice looking seats! I have a pink Graco Nautilus in mine, goes up to 65 lbs forward facing; nothing says 'boy racer' like a pink car seat!

Last edited by charon2123; Feb 27, 2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: mistype
Old Feb 27, 2010, 06:10 PM

Noize, where did you buy them from?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 06:22 PM
EvoM Administrator

^diapers.com
STUPID CHEAP. Put in promo code "10percent", and you'll get a seat for $191. I ordered Thursday night around 7pm and had them FedEx Saturday delivered this morning. Shipping was free.

http://www.diapers.com/Product/Produ...roductId=19822

Recaro just updated their line, and their website reflects it, meaning this might be discontinued in this color, etc. My guess is that was probably why these seats are so inexpensive. But I've used an identical one for three years, and its been awesome. I paid almost $80 more shipped back then, and it was still worth every penny.

Quick Reply: Evo dads: Recaro Young Sport car seat info and pics for your kids