Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

FROM 700whp 6sp supra to evo x?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheBlueBlur
What he said. Supras are old as hell and overrated. What's the point of all that power if you cant put it down? I personally buy all my cars to drive them everyday. I was never into drag racing, but if I was I would buy a cheap modded mustang and call it a day. The Evo X is about a balance of everything. Great power(modded), handling, practicality, and technology.
i doubt it when you say its overated
-VERY stout motor and TRANS
-looks beautiful (better than 95% sports cars in its range)
-toyota quality
ect ect

i also believe the 50k what some people ask for is outrageous , but as same time it COSTS ALOT TO BUILD. IF THEY ARE SELLING FOR 50K THEY PUT AT LEAST 40-50K ON TOP OF CAR PURCHASE
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Murf
What the hell did you do to take it from 3400 lb curb weight to 2700lbs!!!
HA HA YOUR SOMEWHAT RIGHT. targa weighs more car weighs about 3700 lbs we me in it
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is definitely an interesting thread. In to see what happens.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by streetdreams552
i doubt it when you say its overated
-VERY stout motor and TRANS
-looks beautiful (better than 95% sports cars in its range)
-toyota quality
ect ect

i also believe the 50k what some people ask for is outrageous , but as same time it COSTS ALOT TO BUILD. IF THEY ARE SELLING FOR 50K THEY PUT AT LEAST 40-50K ON TOP OF CAR PURCHASE
only reason im saying its over rated because the sane time there was another Toyota out thre which i think a lot better car fro DD and as a sport car, not for that drag or those high way pulls story's. But sure you can mamke these also very high WHP cars too.

So If its toyota this is my favorite, and i think this is way under rated vs the Supra fame

Old Dec 22, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I was embellishing a bit for effect, but I'm sure you know that a really nice low mileage TT Supra can go for close to $50k. To me, that's asinine for a 13-14 year old car.

Yes, one of my good friends had a mildly modded Mk IV awhile back and I drove it a couple times. I've been passenger in some truly fast single upgrade cars that belonged to other guys.

Its just undeserved hype IMO. You can go faster around a racetrack in a used C5 Z06 or a regular C6 for thousands cheaper, and be in a more proven platform. A modded C5/C6 is not rare like a Supra, but I don't care about that. I don't care about street racing, highway roll bragging rights, or any of that.

Its great you love them, but I'm just explaining would never want a Supra over an Evo.

If you want your thread to stay open, you'll need to knock this off. You can't advertise the car for sale or trade on here until you hit 50 legitimate posts. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Yeah, you may have embellished... a tad. Fact is, for $35k you can find a 50k mile Supra with 600RWHP very easily. I see them every day on Supraforums. And those that say they can't put it down, ask SW about that. 7.90's @190mph in the 1/4 and 247 MPH in the standing mile are current records his Supra holds. There are very few cars, at any price that have the potential the Supra does.

However, I will agree they are not DD's when you have to deal with winter. They very easily could be in Florida weather, but not much more extreme than that.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 07:51 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
You know what is a similarity between a 300hp -600hp -1200hp supra? They all run 13 sec.
Where do you come up with this stuff?

And did you seriously post pics of the old Celica as an example of a car you think is better than the Supra You're a funny man
Old Dec 22, 2009, 08:04 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by black95tt
Yeah, you may have embellished... a tad. Fact is, for $35k you can find a 50k mile Supra with 600RWHP very easily. I see them every day on Supraforums. And those that say they can't put it down, ask SW about that. 7.90's @190mph in the 1/4 and 247 MPH in the standing mile are current records his Supra holds. There are very few cars, at any price that have the potential the Supra does.

However, I will agree they are not DD's when you have to deal with winter. They very easily could be in Florida weather, but not much more extreme than that.
Well, we were comparing a super clean almost 50k Supra to a used first year GT-R, right? Its not a terrible stretch.

But your 35k for a 50k mile example is still a 14 year old Toyota. And still asinine money for what you get, IMO. I'd way rather have a new Evo with that money, and probably fifty other cars first. Sorry.

I don't care about drag racing, highway rolls, and standing miles. If I did, I would get a Mustang and vaporize Supras for a fraction of the cost.

Originally Posted by atombomb33

And did you seriously post pics of the old Celica as an example of a car you think is better than the Supra You're a funny man
Add me to the funny man list. I would also gladly take that Celica All Trac Turbo over a MkIV TT Supra. What passed for a supercar in the mid nineties is an also-ran today. Its just a really over hyped and expensive also-ran.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atombomb33

old celica? why the supra is younger? the ST205 was build until 1999.
that is a very old joke about Supra's. By the way what i wrote there, i thought everyone knows it...
The toyota stopped selling supra in the US in 1999... whoa same year... much older then a supra.
BUt officially finished in 2002.

dont be confused with the GT-4 is not a joke. And as your respond is shows it is very under rated vs Supra. /in here the US / Yes for me was a way better dd or even much more fun car.

here is some history about the joke celica ;
ST165 won 13 WRC series. Carlos Sainz won the 1990 WRC Driver's Title.
ST185 won 16 full WRC series, and 3 overall winner in the W2L series. WRC Driver's Titles with Carlos Sainz in 1992, Juha Kankkunen in 1993, and Didier Auriol in 1994. WRC Manufacturer's Titles in 1993 and 1994.
ST205 won 1 full WRC series, and 2 overall winner in the W2L series."

that is over 30 WRC series wins
5 overall win
1 full series win
2 years in row manufacturer.
supra has this pedigree ?

/ps , they won more , but they got banned from WRC, because they were cheated, or as some say : they cleverly translate the rule book and they got caught, it is your pick which one you like better. /

also you do remember the Celica -Supra ?

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 22, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

anyway its off topic.
I f i would like the supra, probably i would get a GT-R instead the EVo X. some reason for me the GT-R feels/ as i see them/ more closer to the SUpra then a EVoX.
BUt for the GT-R money you can make a hell of a fun Evo X.
AND you will also run and maintain the car a lot cheaper then a GT-R.
So style wise i vote for the GT-R. Fun and budget wise i would go for a X.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
old celica? why the supra is younger? the ST205 was build until 1999.
that is a very old joke about Supra's. By the way what i wrote there, i thought everyone knows it...
The toyota stopped selling supra in the US in 1999... whoa same year... much older then a supra.
BUt officially finished in 2002.

dont be confused with the GT-4 is not a joke. And as your respond is shows it is very under rated vs Supra. /in here the US / Yes for me was a way better dd or even much more fun car.

here is some history about the joke celica for you;
ST165 won 13 WRC series. Carlos Sainz won the 1990 WRC Driver's Title.
ST185 won 16 full WRC series, and 3 overall winner in the W2L series. WRC Driver's Titles with Carlos Sainz in 1992, Juha Kankkunen in 1993, and Didier Auriol in 1994. WRC Manufacturer's Titles in 1993 and 1994.
ST205 won 1 full WRC series, and 2 overall winner in the W2L series."

that is over 30 WRC series wins
5 overall win
1 full series win
2 years in row manufacturer.
supra has this pedigree ?

/ps , they won more , but they got banned from WRC, because they were cheated, or as some say : they cleverly translate the rule book and they got caught, it is your pick which one you like better. /

also you do remember the Celica -Supra ?
Your comparing apples to oranges there. World Rally car vs sought out drag car and sometimes circuit racing a-la japanese GT races.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Well, we were comparing a super clean almost 50k Supra to a used first year GT-R, right? Its not a terrible stretch.

But your 35k for a 50k mile example is still a 14 year old Toyota. And still asinine money for what you get, IMO. I'd way rather have a new Evo with that money, and probably fifty other cars first. Sorry.

I don't care about drag racing, highway rolls, and standing miles. If I did, I would get a Mustang and vaporize Supras for a fraction of the cost.

Add me to the funny man list. I would also gladly take that Celica All Trac Turbo over a MkIV TT Supra. What passed for a supercar in the mid nineties is an also-ran today. Its just a really over hyped and expensive also-ran.
All tracs were turds dude. They were heavy, they handled like ****, the 3S doesn't respond to mods all that great, and the drivetrain was weak. They go for big money now though, just cause they're hard to find in good shape

So to build a 1300RWHP Mustang, it's going to cost a "fraction" of what it costs to do the same to a Supra? Doubt it. Big HP is big money, no matter what platform. Let me ask you this? How much would it costs to get an EVO to 1300WHP? Can it even be done?

I just don't understand how someone can say the car is over rated when it's accomplished the things it has. It earned that reputation, no one gave a crap about them in the 90's until they started making a name for themselves. Now people know and give them respect accordingly. I can understand if you don't like the car, that is fine, but to say it's over rated is just inaccurate.

Oh, they can also do some damage on a road course. They aren't just highway demons, that's just their specialty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeOWI...eature=related
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

I would say any year evo would be a better DD than a supra. Supra's are amazing cars and they are always fun to watch but your looking for something for daily driving so of course an evo is the way to go. Take a look at some 9's and 10's and pick what you like. Evo 9's have more of that burst of power and 10's have more of a even power band.. Do some research, you will see what I mean
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:44 AM

I love my Poopra, and would NEVER trade it for an Evo...any of them. I've owned two Supra's and two Evo's, and driven/modified/tuned dozens of each for various shops and owners.

I added an 8 to the stable. I'd never replace the Supra with an Evo. If you have any love for the Supra, you WILL regret getting rid of it.... guaranteed.

If you bought a Supra and feel kinda "blah" about owning one, then sell it to someone who can appreciate it (but that doesnt sound like you).
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:48 AM
Account Disabled

i love my supra and i just can help dd driving it. ive been interested in evo 10 for a while now and ive been in rx7's and supras for years now....lately....especially since we got 12 inches of snow on the east coast ive been contemplating getting one. i looked at one today...

ive been searching alot trying to come up pump gas numbers. basically comparing my supra on pump(550whp) at 2700lbs w /driver evo 10 what?

how much power you guys think i would need for a evo 10 to keep up 1/4. what normaly breaks from launches at the track?

thanks guys
Get yourself a evo ix slap a big turbo kit with a built motor and you'll make 700whp...Also you won't be driving around a 20 year old overpriced toyota around lol..
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

So to build a 1300RWHP Mustang, it's going to cost a "fraction" of what it costs to do the same to a Supra? Doubt it. Big HP is big money, no matter what platform. Let me ask you this? How much would it costs to get an EVO to 1300WHP? Can it even be done?
I'm sorry but if you're paying 35k for a 600hp supra, a 600hp mustang COULD be had for a fraction of the price. Especially if you get one the same year as a Supra. As far as the 1300rwhp... how many Supras are out there with those numbers? I'm sure it would be expensive to get a mustang there but it would still be cheaper.

And I do respect the Supra for what it is but I'm also on that list of people that doesn't fap to the thought of them. I wouldn't call it overrated at all but you have to admit that there are a lot of guys that make it out to be the greatest car produced EVAR!!!

Quick Reply: FROM 700whp 6sp supra to evo x?