Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

My frustration today is indescribable. I have been so in love with the way this car drives over my 05 VIII, that I have been ignoring some of the minor issues...mostly the problem with the tune. Before I say anything, this is THE best driving and handling car I have ever driven...EVER. I have been defending Mitsu here for months against the notchy transmission, poor paint quality, and the 8:1 AFR that they have designed into the tune that makes it idle and drive like ****. Today...no more...I am royally pissed off.

I turned 2000 miles yesterday, and I just happened to be in front of a crowd of STIs and older EVO owners, so I thought I would drive the car with a little enthusiasm....you know....so they could hear the studder and hesitation up above 5800rpm j/k

I pushed the accelerator to the floor as I normally would and the piece of **** broke off completely. I reached down and had the entire pedal all the way to the firewall in my hand. WOW! This is a safety hazzard!!! What if this happened to my 8 months pregnant wife on the highway in rush hour traffic!

So I call my dealer to express my frustrations with me sitting on the side of the road stranded in my new $41,000 car. The dealer has heard NOTHING about this "April reflash" that Mitsu has coming out, nor have they been informed of any other issues. I think the April reflash thing is BS. It was almost 8pm and they were closing, so they said I could have roadside assistance drop the car there and leave the keys in the night drop. I sat on the side of the road in the dark for an hour on the phone with roadside assistance while they tried to find a tow company willing to drop my car at the dealer...15 minutes away. I finally got so sick of waiting that I took my shoe off and wedged my foot up there and was able to press the accelerator with my big toe. I called my wife and had her drive the hour to come pick me up.

So why didn't I spend my $40,000 on a new 430hp Corvette? Good question.

EDIT: Pictures on page 4

Last edited by DRAG; Apr 9, 2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow man! Sorry to hear about your misfortune but I think that what happened to you is just that: misfortune. I don't think this is a faulty design or a problem that is likely to happen to all X's. The dealer will get you sorted out and back on the road, and you'll start to fall back in love with the car and forget this nightmare ever happened. Good luck man.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Wow it broke off? how the hell does that happen?? i hope this is a one time thing cus thats really bad. sorry to hear that happened though.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

How did it break off? Take pics. Thats a SERIOUS issue.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

That Schaweet Mitsu quality , sorry to hear that. Stuff like this should never ever happen on a $35-40k car.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:58 AM

Picture please
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

You might have gotten too excited and your enthusiasm got the best of your Evo. J/K man. That sucks. Have you had issues with the gas pedal before or did it just suddenly broke off?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
wow man! Sorry to hear about your misfortune but I think that what happened to you is just that: misfortune. I don't think this is a faulty design or a problem that is likely to happen to all X's. The dealer will get you sorted out and back on the road, and you'll start to fall back in love with the car and forget this nightmare ever happened. Good luck man.
So if your wife and kids were driving 60mph in rush hour traffic and the plastic pedal broke completely off and she was being slammed in the back by all that traffic, would that be "misfortune" also??

Is the fact that the car runs like **** for 2 months with NO resolution "misfortune"? This rich fuel condition is causing my car to get worse fuel economy than my 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Chevy truck...is that "misfortune"?

Don't get me wrong...I love the car. I just wanted to give people a heads up that are letting their families ride around in them. A faulty pedal design is a serious safety issue.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New definition for "heavy right foot"
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoHung
You might have gotten too excited and your enthusiasm got the best of your Evo. J/K man. That sucks. Have you had issues with the gas pedal before or did it just suddenly broke off?

I have had the car for over 2 months and never had an issue. It broke in half right at the thickest part. I will post pictures once I get them. I'm actually heading to the dealer now to see what they think of it.

The old EVO was about as stout as a sledge hammer. No matter what I put that car through I could never create an issue. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:11 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Seriously unsafe but seriously funny I'm sure the look on your face was priceless.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
New definition for "heavy right foot"
Hey I am 6'4 250lbs so maybe that is the issue

Maybe I was trying to push the pedal to China....which seems to be where it was made
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
Seriously unsafe but seriously funny I'm sure the look on your face was priceless.
Being that there were many STI guys that witnessed this, the look on my face was pretty disgusting I must admit...there has been some laughing about it
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pedal shouldn't break no matter how hard it is pressed! This is a safety issue!! What did Mitsu corporate cust service say? My X is in for clutch replacement (3800 miles) and I have decided to contact Mitsu corporate cust service every time I go in for service....I believe it'll get a little tlc that way
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

That's absolutely ridiculous

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)