Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mysterious rear seat burning?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mysterious rear seat burning?

I noticed some weird burn smell inside my car.

since the last Mod that i did was a single pipe exhaust, i decided to investigate where that smell was coming from.
and..............................

take a look

I cover the overheated area with some heat shield carpet from pep boys and aluminum Tape.
I really hope it solve the problem or I would need to wrap the entire exhaust. I will be carrying a fire extinguisher this week just in case
The burn didn't make a hole in the foam, just toasted the exterior, even thought, would be good idea that everybody take a look to their seats. Those with aftermarket single pipe exhausts.

Last edited by alex3dworld; Nov 25, 2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Wow man, maybe you can mention that to the manufacturer...?? That should NEVER have happened.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be more worried about the gas tank running over the top the of the exhaust. I'm sure it's safe...but with the exhaust getting hot enough to burn the seat...would make a person think.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

That looks like a small fire, you sure nobody dropped a cigarette back there?? That much heat from under the car would most certainly melt away the undercoating and bubble the paint on the inside. Doesn't look like that to me.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

yea you definitely need to investigate that a little more cause there is no way the exhaust should be getting that hot to do that kind of damage through the body and into the seat cushion, especially towards the rear of the car. good luck man!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to ask if the exhaust was installed properly ... I don't even know how the X's are done since I have yet to upgrade mine, but like on the IX's you had the rubber hangers and such... does the X have those? Is it hanging properly?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 08:41 PM

wow that looks pertty scary. Exhaust must have gotten pertty hot to cause that.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

DAYYYYYM that shyt is crazzzy doggg...

After how long of driving would you start to smell this "Burning"? And were you driving normal or driving it like you stole it?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

the exhaust has a perfect fit on the same OEM rubber hangers, you don't have to cut or improvise anything, remove the stock exhaust and hang the new one.
i was in person all the time in the body shop behind the guy doing the job. every gasket and bolt was well installed. Power tools, no rush, no leaking, nothing.

How a cigarette bug is going to finish there, it is impossible. in the pictures I’m showing the bottom of the seats. you need to remove them first in order to see the burned area. in any case a cigarette will make a hole in the foam, not that flat toasted area.

I noticed that the OEM exhaust is almost completely shield, they put a lot of metal sheets all around the pipes, also below the car there is several shields insulating the floor metal panels from the exterior. I think they know how hot it would be. of course I didn't remove any under floor shield, just the OEM exhaust.

I’m sure it happens days before when I give a ride to a friend of mine , a really heavy friend of mine. with all that weight provably toasted my seat against the hot floor.
I’m going to take a deeper look tomorrow under the car, check the bolts, any evidence of fire, etc. if I don’t see any weird accident, I need to talk with AMS, it could be dangerous to transport big guys in the rear seats with the exhaust.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alex3dworld
the exhaust has a perfect fit on the same OEM rubber hangers, you don't have to cut or improvise anything, remove the stock exhaust and hang the new one.
i was in person all the time in the body shop behind the guy doing the job. every gasket and bolt was well installed. Power tools, no rush, no leaking, nothing.

How a cigarette bug is going to finish there, it is impossible. in the pictures I’m showing the bottom of the seats. you need to remove them first in order to see the burned area. in any case a cigarette will make a hole in the foam, not that flat toasted area.

I noticed that the OEM exhaust is almost completely shield, they put a lot of metal sheets all around the pipes, also below the car there is several shields insulating the floor metal panels from the exterior. I think they know how hot it would be. of course I didn't remove any under floor shield, just the OEM exhaust.

I’m sure it happens days before when I give a ride to a friend of mine , a really heavy friend of mine. with all that weight provably toasted my seat against the hot floor.
I’m going to take a deeper look tomorrow under the car, check the bolts, any evidence of fire, etc. if I don’t see any weird accident, I need to talk with AMS, it could be dangerous to transport big guys in the rear seats with the exhaust.
Haha you need a no fat chicks sticker for your rear window...You may want to check the underside of the car and check for signs of anything burning.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by projekX
DAYYYYYM that shyt is crazzzy doggg...

After how long of driving would you start to smell this "Burning"? And were you driving normal or driving it like you stole it?
I'm a regular sport car driver, 45 on the 40 M/h and 70 on the 60 M/h
I don't track or drag my car.
The smell came the 2nd or 3rd day after install it. I started feel it on traffic, regular driving, when you stop on red light, sometimes the air is against the way you go and you smell the gas coming from the exhaust, (normal after you install a test pipe) this time the smell was kind of burned oil, different.
when I get home I started feeling weird inside the car, like too hot inside, I started checking all the interior, looking for overheating areas, the floor of the right rear seat was unusually hot but nothing to be scary, so the next day I decided to remove the back seat and be sure there is some insulation
there is no insulation or carpet under the seats, the foam is direct over the floor
the rest of the floor, under the carpet, is insulated
I removed my seats to install my Cusco rear strut bar 6 month ago. that burn wasn’t there
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kelvar13
Haha you need a no fat chicks sticker for your rear window...You may want to check the underside of the car and check for signs of anything burning.
yeap, tomorrow i will
i will let you know
thanks for the support
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

keep us updated
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

this should not happen
sue the **** out of exhaust manufacturer
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by empirepb210
this should not happen
sue the **** out of exhaust manufacturer
you REALLY think its the because of the aftermartket exhaust. there are a lot of people running the exact same exhaust with no problems. it is either A) an error within the install or B) a defect in the car itself. if it were somehow a defect in the exhaust causing this, what is he gonna sue for? because the bottom of his seat cushion got slightly burned? so he's going to sue over what "might have" happened? to many people sue happy these days...

Quick Reply: Mysterious rear seat burning?